Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-07-2020, 07:02 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
Mesa AZ build

I will be picking up my bus tomorrow. They needed to fix a few things including an intermittent service engine soon light they tracked to a com link issue between the accelerator position and engine. They replaced a weeping yoke seal, a couple of gauges and a leaking hydraulic tank.

So in the mean time I built a temporary kitchenette to suffice in titling as an RV. The sink drains to a 5 gallon jug, there is another 5 gallon freshwater jug powered by a 12v pump and a cooktop with a 2 gallon propane tank. All components fit easily and are accessible from the cabinet doors. I found an old countertop and cabinet at the local Rehab store for $50. I painted the sides of the cabinet a warm brown to match the oak. Not pictured but it came out really nice. I have a Bluetti solar battery pack for the "on board" electrical requirements and will be using our 10cu ft laundry refrigerator in the bus as a temporary fridge to get us through registration. I have a portable propane heater with wall mount bracket to hang in the bus in regards to the A/C heat requirements.
Hopefully if all goes well, I would be happy to sell off the kitchenette to someone who may need something to get their RV title. My wife thinks it would make a great backup kitchen in the garage since our house is all electric!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4606.jpg   IMG_4625.jpg   81zsCmYU-aL._AC_SL1500_.jpeg  

Old 09-09-2020, 07:32 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Finally brought the bus home. Drove really nice. Took it for emissions testing and passed. They allow for 40.0 on opacity and it came in at 3.5 I'm happy with that. Hope the neighbor doesn't get pissed looking at this thing!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4640.jpg   IMG_4641.jpg   IMG_4645.jpg  
Old 09-12-2020, 11:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

So I have a third party MVD inspector coming to my house on Monday to verify I have the 4 of 6 requirements to title the bus as a MH. Today I set up the interior as he suggested including some carpet and a bed. I am sure he wants it to look more converted than just a simple countertop on a dirty vinyl floor. Everything is bolted down including the propane heater thats not visible in this picture. Once its titled, then I can gut the bus to the frame and go about my plans. Still debating on raising the roof. Either way I want to remove the windows and sheet the sides to provide for RV windows.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4670.jpg   IMG_4669.jpg  
Old 09-13-2020, 03:02 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
I think that looks like one of the best "prepped for title" interiors I have seen! Great work. It would make a great weekend camper as-is. Perhaps there is a market for such. It is amazing how much the carpet alone does for the space. Kudos to your independent motor home inspector for suggesting the extras.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 12:40 PM   #5
Bus Nut

Thank you! Nothing goes to waste. The carpet will be used to line the inside of the closets, under the bed and such. The fridge goes back to the laundry room, the solar generator and panels will go back in the bus. (Solar generator more for backup to the main solar system) The countertop with self contained water, propane, sink and stove can be used again. I would hope someone locally can use it for their titling. Sure saves time.
Old 09-14-2020, 08:47 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Inspector came to the house this morning, did his thing and by this afternoon they called me and I stopped at their office and got the bus registered and titled as a class A motorhome. Plate and title will arrive in 7 days!
Old 09-15-2020, 02:43 AM   #7
Bus Geek

Nice to have that milestone under your belt!
Old 09-15-2020, 07:21 AM   #8
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
heck yeah!! great bus. and great job getting your RV title.. thats a neat idea makling a "kit" for people to use to get their RV title.. esp if its things you dont plan to re-use in your build.. you could rent that thing out for people within a couple hundred miles of you..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:00 PM   #9
Bus Nut

So alot happened in a week. Got my title as an RV and got it registered. On Saturday my wife helped me unload the fridge, countertop, bed, carpet and such and we began to tear out the wood floor. I was surprised to see they actually shot nails through the wood and also screwed it down. No real rust issues. Floor looks great. Today I stripped out the walls and took down the ac units. There was a body screw that went through the ac line. I am sure they gave up on this bus when they couldn't find out where the freon leak was. So I went into the electrical compartment and disconnected the ac units, cut the wiring, crawled under the bus and pulled out what was not needed. The underside is pretty spartan and simple looking. Power washed the engine bay and after a couple of days in the heat, it fired up with no issues. Love the sound of a big diesel doing its thang. The rivets came out real easy using a punch and chisel on the air hammer. Honestly, I was dreading that part of the job but it went so quick. My van is loaded with a bunch of debris headed out to a job dumpster tomorrow.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4696.jpeg   IMG_4697.jpg   IMG_4700.jpg   IMG_4707.jpg   IMG_4708.jpg  

IMG_4709.jpg   IMG_4686.jpg  
Old 09-21-2020, 02:45 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Oh wow! Your engine compartment looks fantastic!
Old 09-22-2020, 09:51 PM   #11
Bus Nut

Got home a little early today and with 43% motivation I decided to tackle the ceiling rivets and dropping the rear ac unit. After a coffee and snack bar break, my motivation jumped to 78% and off I went with the air punch followed by the chisel. Two hours later and I had the entire ceiling down. Wife came home and helped me pull out the sheet metal that was laying on the bus floor. I loaded up my van with the ac units and insulation for a disposal run at one of our job site dumpsters. Third day in a row getting rid of unneeded trash. Feels great to get to this stage. Pics will come tomorrow.
Old 09-23-2020, 10:06 AM   #12
Bus Nut

So here's a pic of what one person here called "a clapped out school bus" with it mostly gutted. A few more panels and then I will work on removing the emergency buzzer wiring. I will continue with building my "unrealistic expectations" and keep posting for you all! My helper Coco had to inspect this morning and would not leave my side.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4740.jpg   IMG_4742.jpeg  
Old 09-23-2020, 10:11 AM   #13
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bus'n it View Post
So here's a pic of what one person here called "a clapped out school bus" with it mostly gutted. A few more panels and then I will work on removing the emergency buzzer wiring. I will continue with building my "unrealistic expectations" and keep posting for you all! My helper Coco had to inspect this morning and would not leave my side.
OK, great, let's keep this quoted for the future and see how it turns out compared to that motorhome picture. Wishing you the best.
BeNimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 10:54 AM   #14
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Lookin good fast work!!! but destroying the AC units??
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 11:28 AM   #15
Bus Nut

The AC’s were already destroyed and the linesets had screw holes in them.

And for the previous poster, the pic I put up was a bus conversion not a luxury motorhome and it did not have slides. Please try not to be negative to people on this forum. I personally do not need to be attacked or harassed. I can get that from my clients during the day.
Old 09-23-2020, 12:25 PM   #16
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC RE
Engine: 8.3 Cummins MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
The AC’s were already destroyed and the linesets had screw holes in them.

And for the previous poster, the pic I put up was a bus conversion not a luxury motorhome and it did not have slides. Please try not to be negative to people on this forum. I personally do not need to be attacked or harassed. I can get that from my clients during the day.
Hahaha! Don't give him too much credit, he's a negative Nancy to all things bus. Not really sure why he is on a bus site when he hates them so much. I'm impressed with your progress, especially in that Sun Valley heat! I get down there a few times a year, I'd love to come check out your progress and lend a hand if needed while I'm there.
JackE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 01:28 PM   #17
Bus Nut

Thanks Jack!
You would be more than welcome to stop over when you’re in town. Right now I am giving my wife a workout hauling debris out of the bus and into my van for dumpster transfer at some of our job sites!

I have a secret weapon and that is a woodworker who will do much of the interior. I love metalwork and electric but not too patient on super fine details when it comes to fiinish woodworking. That said, I want this to look first class. We went the school bus way due to the strong super structure over an RV. Could have bought a MCI or Wanderlodge but even those didn’t have the contemporary interiors we were after.
Bus'n it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 02:42 PM   #18
Bus Nut

Quote:
Thanks Jack!
You would be more than welcome to stop over when you’re in town. Right now I am giving my wife a workout hauling debris out of the bus and into my van for dumpster transfer at some of our job sites!

I have a secret weapon and that is a woodworker who will do much of the interior. I love metalwork and electric but not too patient on super fine details when it comes to fiinish woodworking. That said, I want this to look first class. We went the school bus way due to the strong super structure over an RV. Could have bought a MCI or Wanderlodge but even those didn’t have the contemporary interiors we were after.
I agree with you on that. We did go the class A RV direction bout 15 years ago. I found a cheap one to rebuild, but after seeing the base construction decided I didn't want to put my family in that death trap! It as become the donor for the bus build.

Where are you planning on starting the roof transition? I don't really like the look where it starts behind the driver. Mine will be right at the front roof seam above the driver. That will also give me the headroom I need to run duct work from one of the roof top A/C units to the driver/passenger area. I plan on one unit dedicated specifically to driver comfort.
Old 09-23-2020, 04:30 PM   #19
Bus Nut

I don't like the hump either but in the end with a 10-12" roof raise, it may not matter as much. That said, I will still see how my motivation will be to raise it from cap to cap. Finishing up my coffee now to help spur that motivation factor again! Its only 105º out now
Old 09-23-2020, 05:55 PM   #20
Bus Nut

Quote:
I don't like the hump either but in the end with a 10-12" roof raise, it may not matter as much. That said, I will still see how my motivation will be to raise it from cap to cap. Finishing up my coffee now to help spur that motivation factor again! Its only 105º out now
I'm also not a fan of the giant forehead look. I am going to have a transition. The front cap will be at the original height and slope up from there. Wes from Transcend Existence has done a few this way, I think it looks much better than the other two possibilities. I think the extra distance from the forward most roof rib to the next one back is the perfect distance for that slope. I will be going up about 20" to more easily accommodate a 4' wide piece of sheeting on the sides.

Only 105? I'm a bit jealous! It was 42 on my way to work this morning.