Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2005, 05:28 PM   #1
Lea
Mini-Skoolie

metal floor

i need to do some hole repair, but i have willing help and all the stuff needed. what i wanted to know is if the floor is safe to weld on. my dad mentioned that you can't weld galvanized(sp?) metal. is the floor on these skoolies regular metal or what??? i need to patch all around the wheels inside and out. then i am good to go for paint.
-lea

Old 07-26-2005, 05:40 PM   #2
Bus Nut

I am a sheet metal fabricator, we weld galvanized daily. The key is ventilation. Excessive exposure gives flu-like symptoms that will pass after some discomfort. My point is, don't be afraid to weld galvanized, if the metal on your bus is indeed galv. If you don't want to or can't weld, don't rule out good old pop rivets and some butyl rubber caulking. Rivets don't look out of place on a bus. Butyl rubber accepts paint, stays flexible and will not attack the metal as some caulks can. Hope this helps.
Brad
bdavis441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 10:21 PM   #3
Skoolie

Send a message via ICQ to Firearm Send a message via AIM to Firearm
I have welded galvanized as well and I can testify that it'll make you sick for about three days and your lungs will hurt for weeks after if you don't use adequate vetilation.
Firearm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2005, 11:44 PM   #4
Bus Nut

i have welded galvy many times and never had a problem. I always use good venlation though. I have an old 110v furnace blower that works great.
busone is offline   Reply With Quote