Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2020, 06:49 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: International
Chassis: AmTran
Engine: DT466e 215HP
Rated Cap: MD3060
“Miners” Bus- @steadystreamincashios flat nose skoolie

Well, after bringing the idea up and coming home the next day and a bus being for sale not but 15 minutes from our house, we decided to buy it! It’s an 01 International with the dt466 and I’m assuming Allison(could be wrong). AmTran body, which is very cool because they were built in Conway, AR which is where our local Home Depot is we use all the time so we live not far from there. The bus has 96,000 miles. It’s gots some scratches and bruises but it’s not more than we can handle. We renovate vintage Airstreams for a living so a bus is a nice breathe of “fresh” air. Still dealing with rivets and panels. Just steel now instead of aluminum. We have a work commitment for a client until the middle of November so not a lot of work will happen from now til then. But we couldn’t pass up the opportunity with it being so close to home.
Now for the engine and transmission.. before I do any work inside I’ll bring it to a shop to be thoroughly inspected and see what the issue is, but it’s a bit sluggish off the line and hills are DEFINITELY not it’s friend. I had a buddy who has the bus software hook up to it and the only code was a 66-00 and it said communication loss. Also, the bus sat for a while so he thinks fuel issue (gummed, clogged) could be a problem of the low engine pressure his computer was showing. Anyone have any thoughts?? It starts right up easily.
It’s got a few leaks, floor feels soft but once you crawl underneath there is no rust to be found. So that looks promising, maybe just some wood rot, let’s hope. I’ve only been on this forum for a few days and have already learned a lot and read ALOT and seen some awesome skills. If this forum is anything like the Airstream forum I’m going to learn more than one can imagine.
With that said, I will try my best to keep this thread going and up to date. But I am super busy. So we shall see.

StedyStreamnCashios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 06:50 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Photos

How do I upload photos though?! Lol
Old 08-31-2020, 07:02 PM   #3
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by StedyStreamnCashios View Post
How do I upload photos though?! Lol
You might need a minimum of 5 posts before pics will load.
Old 08-31-2020, 07:16 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

Totally makes sense!
Old 08-31-2020, 07:17 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Here it is
Attached Thumbnails
03285126-A360-466B-9D10-74D49E0545B4.jpeg   770A392B-4679-4CE4-95FA-258BADCAF156.jpeg   C4CB03F4-546A-4FC1-B954-6DB5BB791C65.jpeg  
Old 08-31-2020, 07:19 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

She’s got a heck of a lean towards the front though. Does that go away once you build it out or do I need to take a leaf out?

Also, this big baby has disc brakes all around. Good or bad, I have no clue. Guess I’ll find out!
New steer tires and all new retreads on the back.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:06 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by StedyStreamnCashios View Post
She’s got a heck of a lean towards the front though. Does that go away once you build it out or do I need to take a leaf out?

Also, this big baby has disc brakes all around. Good or bad, I have no clue. Guess I’ll find out!
New steer tires and all new retreads on the back.
I have a 99 Genesis. Yours likely has an Allison 3060. Most likely air brakes, air ride, air seat. Likely the speedo has been replaced, common on most of them.
Go to the UserCP and fill out your profile with your location and all the bus info. Makes it easier to address your concerns.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:37 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 3126b 210hp
Rated Cap: 48
If it had 84 kids in it it probably would be more level. I wouldn’t fool with the springs at all until you get your conversion done. It will sure ride better with weight in the back. Like a pickup truck does.

Peace
Meathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:40 PM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

And surprisingly, it was easy to drive. Definitely the longest I’ve driven. But the turning radius surprised me and I almost forgot it was it was 40ft or so.
Old 08-31-2020, 08:41 PM   #10
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 60
Once you go bus you will ditch those stinking aluminum cans LOL.

Just kidding...airstreams are sweet.

Welcome aboard. Cant wait to see what you do with it.

A DT466E builds the fuel pressure required to fire the injectors using a high pressure oil pump. Oil pressure from the engine turns a hydraulic pump that pressures the fuel. If I remember correctly, after that point it goes through the fuel filter. Fuel filters, therefor, can cause low injector pressure. I think, but am not positive, if it detects lower than optimum fuel pressure it would derate the engine. I always change fuel filters when I might suspect a fuel issue.

Could also be a faulty fuel pressure sensor on the rail.

Could also be faulty wiring.

Another thing we have had is faulty foot feed. Those are drive by wire, so if the foot feed is faulty the computer doesn't think you have it mashed to the floor when in fact you do, and you are not getting full throttle. Normally a faulty food feed will act glitchy and touchy, which isn't what you are feeling....but things can malfunction in different ways. You can also look at the mechanical parts of the foot petal that turns the sensor and make sure nothing is binding or broken or stuck.

Service manuals, a computer to see what pressures and voltages the computer is getting, a multimeter and some gauges to verify those levels, and someone who knows what they are doing can diagnose that stuff pretty quick. I'm not wise enough to give you a step by step because I have to bust my stuff out and relearn it every time we have a problem, but once you understand how the engine works its a relatively simple system to troubleshoot.
tlzimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 08:51 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Thanks for that. It does make sense. I’m not well versed in engines at all. I’ve always wanted to and have dreams of being able to build my own toys but never had anyone to give me proper guidance nor the time. Maybe I’ll just have to dive head first into this one... or better yet let a purefessional work on it. My guy who hooked it up to the computer noticed the engine pressure was low, at 850 instead of 1100? I think. So could that be the issue of no “power” to the pedal?
I’ll have to find a manual and look up parts numbers for fuel filter and such. Or just crawl under there and look at it myself.
Thanks.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:02 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 1996
Chassis: Ford B
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 12v
Rated Cap: 60
I think that's right it takes 1100 to 1300 psi to fire the injectors right.

The problem with working on electronic engines is there is only so much you can do without the computer.

It wouldn't surprise me if I set of fuel filters wouldn't fix your issue though.
tlzimmerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 07:30 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Ok, had a chance to crawl under the bus and take some pictures of the tags on rear end, tranny, and engine.
Question, after seeing the pics would this be a good bus to tow a vehicle with? Probably Jeep Wrangler unlimited or something close to that.
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
04E6D86A-4561-412F-87D5-228A6C9C6A97.jpeg   43FC053C-B665-4E87-9959-B48DD1010A28.jpeg   ABE45B9F-28AC-4258-AC70-CFEF80BCF3C3.jpeg  
Old 09-16-2020, 02:53 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

So I’ve been dreading calling the DMV here in Arkansas asking about how to get it registered after reading some horror stories from some of you, all those steps seem ridiculous.
Back in 2018 we converted a RAM Promaster into a camper van and the process was simple getting it titled as an RV. I just had to write a statement saying I added a sink, fans, electrical, etc. and then they gave me a title with it classified as an RV.
Same is so for the bus, write a statement saying I converted it and then the RV title will come in the mail. So thankful Arkansas is easy in this regard.

Tags
amtran, bus, genesis, international, skoolie