Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #61
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: AmTran RE
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Miss Euphegenia: 1999 AmTran RE

I'm still alive, really. Haven't had time to stay current on the Skoolie posts, between school, work, and attempting to have a social life. Miss Euphegenia is still waiting patiently in my yard. I've taken her out a couple times to stretch her legs, but have done very little work. The old floor is completely out, and I've gotten some windows tinted (to make it less obvious how empty it is inside). Hopefully I'll have time to paint/POR-15 the floor and start putting in the new floor and walls once the weather warms up a bit. I also need to finish stripping out the donor trailer, I still have a toilet and tanks to salvage.

I'm currently in a dispute with the town Tax Office over the value of my bus. I received my first property tax bill, and their VIN decoder program valued my bus at $16,030. EEK!!!!! I went to the Town Hall, explained the situation to the Assessor, and showed her the receipt from the auction where I paid $1000. She told me she'd do some research and get back to me in a few days. A week later I e-mailed her, and she said she found sales to support a reduction to $12,000, the revised bill was in the mail, have a nice day. I replied that it was still too high, and asked if she was basing that on other REs or just any International bus (REs lose their value more quickly than the others). I haven't gotten a reply yet (possibly due to the holidays), and I have until Feb to pay the bill, so I'll be calling or stopping by sometime this week. It also doesn't help that I live in one of the highest-taxing towns in CT - at that assessment, the tax works out to almost $400 a year.

Old 01-02-2011, 07:37 AM   #62
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

Ouch ouch. You might take price listings from the nationwide bus sale yards to show her their low pricing. Luck!
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2011, 12:44 AM   #63

Year: 1995
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw

Quote:
It also doesn't help that I live in one of the highest-taxing towns in CT - at that assessment, the tax works out to almost $400 a year.
One thing is for sure. When I move out of my craphole, I won't be moving to your state. Good luck with your fight.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 05:45 AM   #64
Skoolie

Sorry it took me a while to get back to you, I haven't been on this site for a while. I'm just finishing up my Associate's degree (took my last final last night, woohoo!!!!!), and Skoolie.net tends to suck me in. I start reading posts, and next thing I know, I've been on here for 5 hours or something.

Anyway, the T444E. Some love it, some hate it. It's the same engine as the Ford Powerstroke, so it's super easy to get parts for. The only major issue I've seen with them is injectors, but it's not a huge job to swap them out. If it starts skipping, running rough, or losing power, that's probably the culprit. If you do have any issues, ask in the Professional Garage over at www.schooolbusfleet.com/forum. Those guys are great, and a lot of them have experience with the 444. Whether they love it or hate it, it was a very popular engine. As for maintenance, just do the oil and filters and keep an eye out for anything major.

In the battery box near the right rear wheel, you'll see there are a couple of plugs and fuses on smaller wires than the battery cables. These power the ECM directly off the battery. It's also not a bad idea to disconnect the main battery cable if you're going to weld, or if the bus is going to sit for a while. I'm not thrilled about how the cables are arranged (on an older bus, you could just pull one main cable to cut all power), and I plan to install a shut-off switch at some point.

Does yours have the 2000 series transmission? (5-speed with a lockup converter, shifter would be labeled D421 instead of D321.) If it's a 2002 it probably does, and I'm jealous. I have the AT-545 "slushpump," a 4-speed without a lockup. She moves along pretty well considering, but there's a lot of power and economy lost with that transmission.
Old 06-29-2011, 08:25 AM   #65
Skoolie

Re: It begins!

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver_phil
I almost forgot the best part. Would you believe I only had to bid $900 for this? A grand and change with auction fees. And $150 to top it off at Mobil before parking it.

When is the next auction?!
100MPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:58 PM   #66
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 Cummins turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 84

Hi. Nice bus!

I read you say she's got power, what's the cruising speed?

What exactly is under those angled sides over the engine inside the rear of the bus?

In my planning to get the most out of a floorplan, every foot counts! Is it feasable that they could be removed?

Maybe a queen mattress would fit across the flat part? How wide is it there?

Thanks,
Scott
BigSherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #67
Skoolie

There's an auction on Saturday, July 16 in New Haven. http://www.422sales.com

She's governed at 58, but will probably do 65 based on the RPM limits and gearing once I turn the governor up (just a matter of going to a mechanic with the right computer connection).

The angled sides are air scoops that work with the rear-mounted radiator. The driver's side also includes the air intake. You might be able to rework them, but I wouldn't recommend it, the cooling system is designed around them. I don't remember the exact width, but you couldn't fit a queen or full mattress between. You'd have to build a shelf and put it in front of the vents.
Old 06-29-2011, 10:30 PM   #68
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 8.3 Cummins turbo diesel

Thanks, Phil!
BigSherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 01:33 PM   #69
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by busdriver_phil
There's an auction on Saturday, July 16 in New Haven. http://www.422sales.com

She's governed at 58, but will probably do 65 based on the RPM limits and gearing once I turn the governor up (just a matter of going to a mechanic with the right computer connection).
Thanks for the link Phil!
New haven is not far. I will most likely take the ride up from long island and bring a small amount just in case.

The 58mpg, is that with your foot to the floor? Do you know the RPM's at that speed? In my Mack truck, Top speed is about 84 with the electronic gov...it holds the RPM's below the normal (when in any of the other 17 speeds) rpm's. I am aware that is it a different engine but driving around at max rpm's will suck all the money out of wallet ... through the fuel tank!

Someone mentioned getting 11 MPG?! I could live with that but of course, I would have to try to increase it. I drove a gas sucking pig 30' 1996 motorhome with a FOUR-SIXTY CI gas engine at 52 MPH across country just to get 7MPG... 1.5 MORE mpg's then at 60.

Has anyone changed the gears/rear and ended up with a 2-300 RPM drop at 55MPH? I am thinking that would be the magic RPM number for MPG's as it puts the engine rev's right in the middle of the power band.
Old 07-01-2011, 08:15 PM   #70
Bus Nut

Year: 1984
Chassis: Safe T Liner
Engine: 3208 turbo

http://yankeflyer.web.officelive.com/Mobilestudio.aspx

Tourqing the shackel bolts was hard. Broke some tools but it was worth the effort to be able to cruse 75 and mpg went from 6 to 9.9.
yankeflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 07:45 PM   #71
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeflyer
http://yankeflyer.web.officelive.com/Mobilestudio.aspx

Tourqing the shackel bolts was hard. Broke some tools but it was worth the effort to be able to cruse 75 and mpg went from 6 to 9.9.
Quote:
This axle raised my top speed to 75mph from 60 mph, increased fuel mileage from 6.5 mpg to 10 mpg and lowered maximum cruise rpm to 2300 rpm from 2900 rpm
That is a huge difference in MPG, MPH and RPM. Think of how much longer the engine will last, You only have so many revolutions in the life of an engine. Thanks for that information, that will be THE first upgrade to my bus (future bus that is...)