Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2019, 03:10 PM   #21
Almost There

Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Year: 1996
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: international
Engine: T444E
Today I’m taking a day trip up north to Temecula to purchase a camp chef water heater. $100 used once to make a commercial. They still have the L10 for $150 same situation.
Did some googling, in my current situation there were a few in a similar price range on sale, but After shipping my smiles were all but gone.
Hoping it serves us well! I’ve lived off grid with a few different styles on tankless heaters so far so I understand they all like to be handled a little bit differently.

I will not be cutting a hole into the Morningstar yet!
I’m going to put it above the kitchen sink and we’ll open the windows while in use!

Saving the holes for the more permanent build in the future.

Also headed to get 3 55g food grade water barrels for water storage for $45. Hoping these serve us well as well.

HenrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:33 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by HenrysCat View Post
Today I’m taking a day trip up north to Temecula to purchase a camp chef water heater. $100 used once to make a commercial. They still have the L10 for $150 same situation.
Did some googling, in my current situation there were a few in a similar price range on sale, but After shipping my smiles were all but gone.
Hoping it serves us well! I’ve lived off grid with a few different styles on tankless heaters so far so I understand they all like to be handled a little bit differently.

I will not be cutting a hole into the Morningstar yet!
I’m going to put it above the kitchen sink and we’ll open the windows while in use!

Saving the holes for the more permanent build in the future.

Also headed to get 3 55g food grade water barrels for water storage for $45. Hoping these serve us well as well.
I have an L10 I'm not going to use. I'd let it go for what I paid for it ($90).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283353163859
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2019, 03:39 PM   #23
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
I know Temecula well from my tenure in Hemet. Have fun!
Alternative heat is good, tho it can be a tankless job...
Sure hope those are closed top drums. Open tops can be prone to leakage under the lever lock ring or bolt ring when the drum isn't upright.
Closed, or tight, head drums are industry standard for non-viscous liquids.
Also, open head tops aren't always fitted with bungs, calling for some unneccesarily difficult plumbing work.
Caveat emptor!
Old 07-25-2019, 05:45 PM   #24
Almost There

Location: The tops of mountains, the bottoms of valleys, and everywhere in between.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
I know Temecula well from my tenure in Hemet. Have fun!
Alternative heat is good, tho it can be a tankless job...
Sure hope those are closed top drums. Open tops can be prone to leakage under the lever lock ring or bolt ring when the drum isn't upright.
Closed, or tight, head drums are industry standard for non-viscous liquids.
Also, open head tops aren't always fitted with bungs, calling for some unneccesarily difficult plumbing work.
Caveat emptor!
To ease your troubled mind
Heavy duty closed top drums with 2” bunghole.
Used to hold agave syrup
The other options were vinegar or soy sauce drums.
All bunged and no prior unfoodlike contamination.
Old 07-25-2019, 05:49 PM   #25
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I have an L10 I'm not going to use. I'd let it go for what I paid for it ($90).

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283353163859
Many thanks! I wish I had gone on a little sooner. I already possess this one. Driving home with it now.
Do you use a camp chef yourself?
What do you prefer?
The lady have an eccoflo up that’s been working for 10yrs. I had thought about that one for us but it is on back order with $50shipping.
Old 07-25-2019, 06:05 PM   #26
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:
To ease your troubled mind
Heavy duty closed top drums with 2” bunghole.
Used to hold agave syrup
The other options were vinegar or soy sauce drums.
All bunged and no prior unfoodlike contamination.
Awesome sauce! Both your score, and the agave syrup. That stuff sweetens, without instigating the body's insulin response.
A few good hot water rinse n rolls, and your drums should be good to go without any lingering aroma or taste.
I love soy sauce, I'm not sure that I'd enjoy a hundred fifty of gallons of teriyaki tasting water...
Old 07-25-2019, 06:33 PM   #27
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by HazMatt View Post
Awesome sauce! Both your score, and the agave syrup. That stuff sweetens, without instigating the body's insulin response.
A few good hot water rinse n rolls, and your drums should be good to go without any lingering aroma or taste.
I love soy sauce, I'm not sure that I'd enjoy a hundred fifty of gallons of teriyaki tasting water...
Thanks! I’m stoked about both!
The amount of sticky one must be after working a day barreling agave syrup...
I think I’d enjoy barreling vinegar.
My cousin had a bottle of soy sauce spill in his car once, he said the smell never left only transformed. He doesn’t have the car anymore or I’d test it out.
I figure he should enjoy the smell, as his beer always smells of soy sauce to me. Bourbon Barrel Aged Barleywine, and coffee stouts.

I prefer a much lighter more crisp beverage found in the sour and lambic section. Maybe why I’d enjoy the vinegar!

I met a guy making prickly pear syrup. That’s the bees knees!
Old 07-25-2019, 11:58 PM   #28
Almost There

Here is Henry getting ready to mount the new genie!
Theres me all excited for my new water stuff!!!
And Mikey...not so stoked to be the cleaning crew!

Felt a little like christmas today. free genie from family!
Water tanks, 3 for $50 once we showed up.
And the tankless water heater.$100

I take mostly cold showers, but I wanted the backup and to save from having to heat water on the stove or in a kettle for washing dishes.
Mikey will probably use this more then me.

In a few days I am going to the local junkyard for some deisel straps and other accessories to do some understorage mounting.

Its been in the 90's the past two days so we did the more shopping necessary part of the build.

hopefully it is cool enough soon for all of the painting. Maybe Ill drive the bus to the beach for a day of painting.
I can see it now. Paint some wood, lounge in the sand while it dries, come back paint some more, do some more lounging...come back to paint and if i havent already ruined everything with sand yet probably start by doing that. Ive never appreciated a smooth paint job anyways. Itll really add to my beached wood style theme.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1128.jpg   IMG_1155.jpg   IMG_1156.jpg   IMG_1157.jpg   IMG_1152 - Edited.jpg  

IMG_1153 (1) - Edited.jpg  
Old 07-26-2019, 12:00 AM   #29
Almost There

Just trying to catch some selfies with the tank...
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1160.JPG   IMG_1159.JPG   IMG_1161.JPG   IMG_1162.JPG   IMG_1163.JPG  

Old 07-26-2019, 12:27 AM   #30
Almost There

We tried the air hammer method and had a few issues.
First the compressor I borrowed was a wee to small.
Second...well thats mainly were we fell through. But honestly neither of us are great with an air hammer so it is probably best so as not damage or warp the frame in any way.
In one afternoon Mikey had every rivet out with the punch and hammer. Between the drill and the punch he popped all the rivets off in an hour or so. I did help but not nearly as much as would sound cool, but this was not my shining moment thus far.
We went to the local home depot for our insulation and picked the 2" foam board. R13.1 with a foil tape to seal everything up. Furring for on the rib cage. Anyone suggest using modified pieces of my insulation extras instead of the wood?

The fiberglass that was in it had very little mold which had me vey pleased to know Ive been inhabiting a pretty clean bus! I am pretty sure the electrical was done 3 years ago as a tag would suggest.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1131.jpg   IMG_1134.jpg   IMG_1149.jpg   IMG_1145.jpg   IMG_1147.JPG  

IMG_1142.jpg   IMG_1144.jpg  
Old 09-29-2019, 02:14 PM   #31
Almost There

It has been a bit since I have been on to post. We've been keeping busy. We are currently parked at our landlords mechanic shop. I expect in the next few years there will be a lift that can raise my bus here too. I am excited for the days when I have a spot to do underbody work in San Diego for the desert season!
Being at the shop means no wood cutting though so the interior is on pause. That is awesome though, a forced break is nice, and inspiring. John Henry and I walk around the lake 2 - 3 times a day and Ive started to teach myself coding, mega late in the coding game, but I am excited for it.
The bus has been so comfortable with almost every bit of insulation put up! We have yet to tint windows, but I made some light blocking curtains, tie - dye on the first layer, canvas on the next layer. I am doing my first patchwork as well and making the door curtain as such.

I recommend the R-13 foam insulation panels from Home Depot or better. It wasnt the easiest decision to spend that much on the insulation, but I wouldnt do any less if I was doing it again, if anything I'd add more if I wasnt going to lose the valuable head space.

We have built the bed structure and put the first part of the kitchen cabinet up. The bed is level with the engine bay, it is high up, making so much space underneath while leaving headroom in the bed.
The first part of the kitchen cabinet is 5 feet long, with a 6.5 foot counter top. we will be adding almost 5 feet more of counter top. Our kitchen is one of the most important parts of our life as well love cooking big messy dishes(which means anything Mikey makes such as toast, ramen, a peeled orange). Things like making noodles, bread, pastries, and serving large amounts of people.

Mikey put the first exterior hole in the bus for the genie. We welded a genie rack together and will be buying hefty bolts to secure the rack to the frame.

A little bit of sadness as to be expected so far. We got a drizzle last week and found a single teenie leak. Which doesnt change my plans, just makes them rearrange, which is this weekend we will be using the 3M urethane seam sealer on all of the seams and then the elastomeric coating. I am debating Henry's or the 3M brand currently. Still in the midst of a price check.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1268.JPG   IMG_1273.JPG   IMG_1283.JPG   IMG_1368 (1) - Edited.jpg   IMG_1366 - Edited.jpg  

IMG_1274 - Edited.jpg   IMG_1367 - Edited.jpg  
Old 09-29-2019, 02:23 PM   #32
Almost There

The mascots, the heroes, the reason for bussing...John Henry and Shivakaminisomokaundikrom.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1346 (2).JPG   IMG_1363.JPG   IMG_1286.JPG  
Old 09-30-2019, 12:58 AM   #33
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote: