Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2008, 10:26 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Crown
Engine: DD 671
Rated Cap: 73
My 1987 Crown (Finally)

Well I finally made out to Goldendale, WA to pick up my 1987 Crown 35' Supercoach. It has a DD 671 with an Alison 4 speed (which I learned how to properly use on the way back to Portland). The gas gauge stayed right at half a tank the whole time, what an amazing miracle! But really I suspect the gauge is broken, probably a short somewhere, when I turn the turn signal on, the gauge needle wags back and forth a tiny bit with the blinking. Any suggestions on this?

It was a safe ride despite some pretty hilly terrain on the washington side of the columbia river. Hear some pretty poor photos, but its all I got right now. Stay tuned for more.
-Ben "Sauce"

sauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 05:24 AM   #2
Skoolie

Re: My 1987 Crown (Finally)

Congrats on the new beauty. Conversion starting soon? What kind of plans do you have for her? Can't wait to see more pics.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 10:26 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1982
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: IH S1723
Engine: IH V345 Gas V8
Rated Cap: 66

A thing of beauty and a joy forever! Nice find! Looking forward to more pics soon.
Old 01-14-2008, 07:13 AM   #4
Almost There

sweet crown ben, not too old either. only thing i wouldn't look forward to is driving it there in p-town. as far as the drive from goldendale goes, glad it went well, the north side of the gorge is always fun in a big vehicle. pretty drive though.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
Bus Crazy

Send a message via AIM to Steve

Every time I see pictures of crowns it makes me jealous that I don't have one!
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 09:42 PM   #6
Bus Geek

whenever i have an electrical device that doesn't work quite right,,,,especially if it is acting wierd i always suspect a ground. that being said, i was unabe to figure out why the fuel guage in my new bus doesn't work. it used to say empty, after i played with the wires now it sais full all the time....no real improvemtn there.

i did just guy a new fuel guage and sending unit combo from jcwhitney for under $30.

every bus i've worked on has had a hole in the floor above the sending unit in the tank, makes getting to the top of the tank a lot easier than dropping the tank.
Old 01-16-2008, 09:36 AM   #7
Bus Nut

Year: 1981
Chassis: Crown
Engine: 671 DD
Send a message via MSN to Roasting8 Send a message via Yahoo to Roasting8

Hey Ben,

I'm sorry I didn't write sooner, but I've been a little under the weather and I haven't been on the forum much.

I must say, your Crown looks great!! That bus is going to make a great conversion.

Now, for the gas gauge. First off, your gauge might be working just fine. Remember, you have 110 gallon fuel tank and burning about 11 - 15 gals, on your trip, might not register much on the gauge. Watch out though, once you reach about 1/4 tank, It's time to start looking for fuel.

I drove from Phoenix to Houston and only fueled up once (and that was being safe).

It's great, not having to fuel up too often, but when you do refuel, be ready to shell out some bucks.

Check it out though, I think your gauge is operating normally.

Good luck on your conversion.

Robert
Roasting8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:28 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Hey Ben, after re-reading your entry, I have to agree with Jason. It sounds like you might have a bad ground.

Sorry, I promise to read a little more carefully, before commenting.
Old 01-19-2008, 12:57 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, people are always surprised when I tell them it is a 1987, they always expect it to be older. I blame Crown's classic styling. They didnt change the design much between the 50s and 1991 when they stopped building.
Old 01-25-2008, 03:53 PM   #10
Bus Nut

Quote:
I blame Crown's classic styling.
I wouldn't blame it I would like one that looks more like yours.
The movie RV had a big impact on our family and the desire of traveling in a bus. And I really like the looks of the Gornicke Bus in RV. Its an 1948 Flxible Clipper so the rounded shape was desired but not to be found in Canada. I had a lead on a rounded Gillig in the states but according to the customs regulations the Gilligs are not certified to be imported.

swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2008, 02:54 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I love the way my crown looks, I was just saying that many people think that it is older than it really is, because it has a classic look.

Ive got most of the seats out now, all but 3 rows in the front. Probably gonna build a bedframe in the back soon over the rear bench, I gotta move into this thing by march.
Old 01-26-2008, 07:09 AM   #12
Bus Nut

show us some progress pictures, and a side view in good light.
swinada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 09:05 AM   #13
Skoolie

Year: 1975
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: DD 6-71N

Hi Ben,
Beautiful bus. 12 years newer than mine. I know you are a happy guy.
I got mine in Wenatchee and drove it to about a hundred miles south of Portland.
That was an exciting trip. That was 5 years ago. I have taken it south (about 6000 miles) every winter since. Mileage average 10.8 mpg.
I'm still not finished with the inside.
I don't know how well you know your bus but if you want to learn the condition of all the running gear, take it to Southern Oregon Diesel in Roseberg. They know Crowns. It was the best money I've spent on the bus. They inspect, adjust, change fluids (lots) and filters, and grease everything. Although it cost me about $350, It was a wonderful feeling to drive out the door knowing exactly what I have and how long it's likely to last. Good luck and let me know if I can help in your decision making process.
Jerry
,75 Crown SuperCoach
Jerry Campbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2008, 01:34 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell
Hi Ben,
Beautiful bus. 12 years newer than mine. I know you are a happy guy.
I got mine in Wenatchee and drove it to about a hundred miles south of Portland.
That was an exciting trip. That was 5 years ago. I have taken it south (about 6000 miles) every winter since. Mileage average 10.8 mpg.
I'm still not finished with the inside.
I don't know how well you know your bus but if you want to learn the condition of all the running gear, take it to Southern Oregon Diesel in Roseberg. They know Crowns. It was the best money I've spent on the bus. They inspect, adjust, change fluids (lots) and filters, and grease everything. Although it cost me about $350, It was a wonderful feeling to drive out the door knowing exactly what I have and how long it's likely to last. Good luck and let me know if I can help in your decision making process.
Jerry
,75 Crown SuperCoach
Jerry,

$350 is a bargain for the peace of mind that you've gotten. I wish I knew of a shop, down here in Houston, that I'd feel comfortable enough to take my Crown to.

BTW Jerry, why don't you post some pictures. Ever since your web site went down, I haven't been able to look at your conversion. I liked what you did with it, especially with the solar panels and the windows.

Robert
Old 02-06-2008, 07:45 PM   #15
Skoolie

My bus page has changed homes.
http://www.crowncoach.bravehost.com
This summer I hope to get the wood on the walls, counter tops and cabinets done. And a wood stove in.
We shall see.
Jerry
Old 02-07-2008, 04:44 AM   #16
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Campbell
My bus page has changed homes.
http://www.crowncoach.bravehost.com
This summer I hope to get the wood on the walls, counter tops and cabinets done. And a wood stove in.
We shall see.
Jerry
Thanks Jerry, for giving me the new link. I was really disappointed when your original site disappeared. I've already bookmarked the page and I'll be checking it frequently.

Thanks again,

Robert

Sauce, sorry for hijacking your thread, but it was the only way I could think of, to get the information.

Robert
Old 02-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #17
Mini-Skoolie

I dont mind a thread hijack at all, especially when it is to talk about Crowns. Hey Jerry, you wouldnt happen to know whee I could find a C-bracket for my right side mirrors. I need another one and West Coach only has the style that you see California crowns with.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:22 AM   #18
Skoolie

I don't know what it looks like so I don't know. But I would think that Patrick Young in Fresno, Ca would have anything you wanted. He can be found on the Crown Coach junkies yahoo group.
Do you live in Portland?
Jerry
Old 02-15-2008, 12:01 AM   #19
Mini-Skoolie

Yeah, I am on the crown coach junkies list. I need to email patrick, and see if he has what I need. And yes, I live in Portland, OR.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:04 AM   #20
Mini-Skoolie

Newest picture, can you find the crown?