Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-29-2021, 07:30 PM   #61
Traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
one of the biggest things I hear from people from people who have converted or even bought RVs is they worried too much about storage and didnt have enough natural light.
For me, windows are for looking out of and light coming in.

I've researched a lot of builds. I like the Broccoli Bus, not enough windows. I like the Life is a joy bus, not enough windows, and still used the bus windows. Again, no judgment, but not for me.

Zep II from the Zeppelin Travels (Tiny Home Tours) is getting in my neighborhood. Pretty well done.

I want big windows in the livingroom and kitchen and the front door. Maybe one small window for each of the three bunks, one for the bathroom, couple in the master bedroom. And retain the two sunroofs.

We had a skoolie in our backyard growing up, a renter. It had full windows. The thing became impossible to live in in the winter. Couldn't afford to heat it. In the summer, it was a greenhouse, couldn't be in it after 10 am.

I can do better. I don't plan on living in it full time (maybe at some point) but for extended periods of a month or more 2-3 times a year.

WiredForStereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:03 AM   #62
Mini-Skoolie

Dude got his knickers in a twist real fast on this thread. Maybe he didn’t really want any answers so much as to let us know he was an engineer. Idk, man. Driving trains is different than driving a bus.
sampatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2021, 08:37 AM   #63
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Let's start an anger management thread.
Old 06-05-2021, 10:41 AM   #64
Traveling

Had my dad out to look over the bus. He's a hot rod builder, a genius with sheet metal.

His basic response was "oh yeah, none of this is a problem."

Been working on removing all the stickers and decals and vinyl lettering, making it a bare bus. Just want to get it registered as an RV quickly so I can use it for camping this summer, then finish the roof raise and full conversion this winter, into next year.

Just need to put a bed and cooking facilities in it.
WiredForStereo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2021, 11:24 AM   #65
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredForStereo View Post
You're arguing with me, an engineer, telling me any engineer would agree with you.

Why are you even here? Leave my thread alone.
I didn't realize you could pay extra to own a thread.

I'm glad he's here. More people's opinions are better than one arrogant one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Nothing on an Internet forum says "I'm not a real engineer" quite like saying "I'm an engineer" over and over (and over and over) again in lieu of actual arguments does. Unless it's dismissing a well-documented and legally required safety feature because it doesn't provide absolute immunity from vehicular damage in obviously extreme circumstances - that also says "I'm not a real engineer" pretty clearly.
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booyah45828 View Post
Nope, a mechanic. Started the classes and decided it wasn't for me. Now I'm stuck with fixing their f-ups.

I've never once been blown away by the intelligence of an engineer who flaunts it. More often then not, the opposite happens.
This was the repeated theme at the shops I worked at. And the "engineers" who brought their vehicles in for repair? The worst PITA and most foolish, clueless customers. Not to insult anyone, just stating the facts.

My boss actually "fixed" the Jaguar power steering pumps that blew seals over and over. He said the Jaguar "engineers" called him (since all OEM parts he ordered were associated with VIN numbers, and his fixes never came back again and again) and asked him how. They had a benchtop setup that would run the pump for years without fail. He said "give me a propane torch". As soon as he heated the fluid (like it does under the hood), boom, the seal failed.

Don't even say the word "engineer" to him. (he's dead now anyways)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
skinnin over the windows is dumb it makes a dark dingy cave.. why buy a bus full of windows just to skin them over? may as well have a box truck thats a dark depressing cave already..
"Dumb"? IDK about that. I wouldn't do it (I hate that some of my cabinets and the stove-back cover some of my windows), that's for sure. I like the windows for light, and to "not be in a cave" (even though I'm a caver!). But in the city? I know you're a city-guy, Christopher, and more power to you. I sometimes wish I was that adaptable. But I'm a country boy at heart. If I park in the woods, the windows are loved. In the city, parking overnight,, or even driving around or just parking at the box store, I want privacy, so all my windows are covered in blackout curtains. That's a lot of curtains to manage. If I were living in the city full time, less windows may be better. Or in the winters where it gets real cold, and you are living inside, not driving much.
Old 06-05-2021, 11:40 AM   #66
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiredForStereo View Post
It comes from "wired for sound" a euphemism for being high on caffeine. I'm actually wired for Dolby Atmos now, 11.2 channel surround sound. My movie room is better than the theater, which is why I built it.
I'm a purist. No DSP in my setup, ever! My 4-channel is really duel stereo . But since I can control the level of each channel, I call it 4-channel. The JVC head unit was sold to me as 6-channel (with 2 subwoofer channels) but that was a lie (thanks Crutchfield) - it was duel mono subwoofer channels that are not separately controllable, so it is really a 5-channel, but I don't use the subwoofer channels, since I have stereo subs and listen to music with lots of stereo separation. I have to run them off the front/rear channels with Y-cables.

So, it is "wired" for 4-channel, in a way. If you consider the gain controls on the amp, you may consider it 8-channel (two Focal 6.75" full-range, two Alpine 6"×9" full range, two Acoustic Reasearch 8" subwoofers, and two Pioneer 10" subwoofers)

Now, if a movie is encoded in surround sound, that's different. But I don't waste my time watching movies, nor would I care about sound effects blowing me away acoustically. Except for Star Wars. I go to the theater to see those movies on the big screen with big sound. But that's me. I just love music.

edit: P.S. I hate caffeine and stimulants (I'm naturally wired), so I' never heard that euphemism