Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-13-2023, 10:00 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Brownie44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 43
My Project

New to the board. Thought I would show off my build I'm having done. 1958 international A150 on a 1998 Ford E 350 6.8 Chassis.
Attached Thumbnails
Bus.jpg   Bus2.jpg   Bus3.jpg  

Brownie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:27 AM   #2
Bus Crazy
 
ewo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Central Tx.
Posts: 1,992
Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie44 View Post
New to the board. Thought I would show off my build I'm having done. 1958 international A150 on a 1998 Ford E 350 6.8 Chassis.
Wow, now that's a project.

More pics please !!!

How hard was the frame swap?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 02:53 PM   #3
Bus Geek
 
Jolly Roger bus 223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Location: Swansboro,NC
Posts: 2,988
Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
are you able to keep the original hood and fenders?
might need to look at suspension that old school body is going to add up the weight quick.
looking good.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:44 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie
 
Brownie44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by ewo1 View Post
Wow, now that's a project.

More pics please !!!

How hard was the frame swap?

Here is a few more pics. The frame was shortened 4” Looks like it’s going to fit like a glove! You can see in the second pic where the chassis cut was made. The last pic shows the firewall being filled in.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg   IMG_4691.jpg   IMG_4808.jpg  
Brownie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2023, 10:47 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie
 
Brownie44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
are you able to keep the original hood and fenders?
might need to look at suspension that old school body is going to add up the weight quick.
looking good.
Yes, hood and fenders are going to be used. The E350 suspension will handle the weight fine.
Brownie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:00 AM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
ewo1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Location: Central Tx.
Posts: 1,992
Year: 1999
Chassis: Amtran / International
Engine: DT466E HT 250HP - Md3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie44 View Post
Here is a few more pics. The frame was shortened 4” Looks like it’s going to fit like a glove! You can see in the second pic where the chassis cut was made. The last pic shows the firewall being filled in.
Kickass work indeed!

Are you gonna be able to delete the inside engine cover, or make it smaller?
ewo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:13 AM   #7
Bus Nut
 
nikitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 875
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
So let me get this straight...

You are putting the old bus frame on a modern E350 Chassis?

Was the old chassis pretty far gone?
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:17 AM   #8
Skoolie
 
UFO pilot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2020
Location: So Cal high desert
Posts: 162
Year: 63&5
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: HPO
Engine: Cummins 220
Rated Cap: 1
Luv it! I am sitting in my 2000 F250 as I type this with the same drivetrain as your setup and I can honestly say the Ford V10 is a darn good motor.

I just have 1 suggestion on the 4R100 transmission, have a shop go thru it and install the TransGo update kit, they did have a few issues before Ford got it sorted by MY 2007. Otherwise I got 267K on almost all OG parts under the hood. They are not maintenance free but they are not wallet emptiers like the diesels either.
UFO pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:39 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie
 
Brownie44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikitis View Post
So let me get this straight...

You are putting the old bus frame on a modern E350 Chassis?

Was the old chassis pretty far gone?
Old bus body on E350 chassis. The old chassis was in excellent condition like the bus.....
Brownie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 09:42 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie
 
Brownie44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by UFO pilot View Post
Luv it! I am sitting in my 2000 F250 as I type this with the same drivetrain as your setup and I can honestly say the Ford V10 is a darn good motor.

I just have 1 suggestion on the 4R100 transmission, have a shop go thru it and install the TransGo update kit, they did have a few issues before Ford got it sorted by MY 2007. Otherwise I got 267K on almost all OG parts under the hood. They are not maintenance free but they are not wallet emptiers like the diesels either.
I agree with your assessment of the V10. This one has only 100,000 kms or roughly 62,000 miles. I will indeed do the tranny upgrade, thanks for the advise!
Brownie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 01:32 PM   #11
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 18,843
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
awesome bus!! love this.


ditch the crappy 4R100 altogether, hate those POS. allison swap it!
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 05:20 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie
 
Brownie44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
awesome bus!! love this.


ditch the crappy 4R100 altogether, hate those POS. allison swap it!
Or maybe I run the 4R100 and If it breaks replace it with the Allison?
Brownie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 06:21 PM   #13
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Columbus Ohio
Posts: 18,843
Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownie44 View Post
Or maybe I run the 4R100 and If it breaks replace it with the Allison?

that works too!.. I just had too many issues wit hthe 4R and the E4AOD.. we had them in our HVAC vans in the 90s / early 00's.. the engines were awesome.. never broke.. but those transmissions.. a different story.. lockup issues seem to be our biggest failure which would then make the trans hot and burn it up..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2023, 06:39 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie
 
Brownie44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
that works too!.. I just had too many issues wit hthe 4R and the E4AOD.. we had them in our HVAC vans in the 90s / early 00's.. the engines were awesome.. never broke.. but those transmissions.. a different story.. lockup issues seem to be our biggest failure which would then make the trans hot and burn it up..
Hoping a Transgo or B&M kit will help alleviate some issues?
Brownie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2023, 09:01 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie
 
Brownie44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 43
Alright folks....here is the long version of the build. This will bring us up to date. Hope you like it.

Brownie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:33 AM   #16
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2018
Posts: 2,831
Year: 2007
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: Minotour
Engine: Chevy Express 3500 6.6l
Familliar?

Is this the same bus? This guy was at the Oregon Country Fair this year. Wish I had mor photos
Attached Thumbnails
5B72C9DF-8F57-4E8D-98F1-09E2FE6522DC.jpg   1F4E4106-55F6-4503-A609-55C938F02B00.jpg  
Danjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 12:54 AM   #17
Bus Crazy
 
DeMac's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2020
Location: Florida
Posts: 1,570
Coachwork: Integrated Coach Corp.
Chassis: RE-300 42ft
Engine: 466ci
Rated Cap: 90
🧐Mmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danjo View Post
Is this the same bus? This guy was at the Oregon Country Fair this year. Wish I had mor photos
------------
Dang. (spoken w/ southern draw)
I wish you had more photos of that Superior, too.



Ford

😉Easier to compare from another angle.



International
__________________
Ceiling: Framing & Electrical Rough-in
Convert Hatch to AC & Roof Patch
🇺🇸 Frederick Douglass: "If there is no struggle, there is no progress.”
DeMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2023, 01:16 PM   #18
Bus Nut
 
nikitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 875
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Same as the 90's buses, Ford and International had different front ends but identical Thomas bodies in the rear.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 07:12 PM   #19
Mini-Skoolie
 
Brownie44's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2021
Posts: 43
Wife and I are still working on a name for the bus as I see it’s kinda required �� Dash and column in position. Pedals are going in too.
Attached Thumbnails
image.jpeg  
Brownie44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2024, 09:25 AM   #20
Bus Nut
 
nikitis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2023
Location: South Carolina
Posts: 875
Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 29
Needs a new dash. That 90's Ford Aerostar style dash is possibly one of the worst dashes you could of used for a replacement. I don't know the story behind it if it came with it or if you put it in, but in my opinion has got to go.

I mean no offense. But I've personally always hated those rounded dashes like that and think you should rip it out. Doesn't fit at all with your awesome looking bus (I'm jealous of your bus model) and your bus IS awesome looking (Minus the dash). If you need it for functionality, rip up the dash casing, build a nice wooden dash around the components. A stained woodgrained dash would look pretty sweet in this style bus. Maybe that's the plan and I'm jumping the gun, but just giving my 2 cents for the bus's sake lol. It's like putting in a 90's aerostar dash into a 57 Chevy, it just doesn't work.

I've always hated the 90's Ford rounded car everything era, it was terrible visually. The rounded mustang (Yuck), rounded box vans (Aerostars), rounded Taurus, and almost none of those cars have made it into the 2020's thank God due to their shitty designs, and no one has cared to keep them running. The people have spoken and let those cars die, and then here is your dash. They were built terribly. Ford really came back in sales when they reverted back to block style bodies. Seeing one of those 90's dashes come into such an awesome bus project has pierced my soul. And again, maybe I'm coming off as rude here, I mean no disrespect, but I gotta speak up for the bus, it's calling me for help.
nikitis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:27 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.