Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-14-2019, 08:18 PM   #1

Newbie looking for bus

So I am new to this. I am looking for bus recomemdations. what engines you like and why? Transmissions you like and why?

Ecary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:18 PM   #2
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecary View Post
So I am new to this. I am looking for bus recomemdations. what engines you like and why? Transmissions you like and why?
When you get a chance, fill out your profile info with your location. I guess you could update it with what you're searching for once you figure that out. It will help everyone help you on your search.

Find out what length you prefer and then shoot for an engine that wouldn't be undersized for that length. Any engine will get you where you're going, but may not do it very fast. If you plan to spend much time on the highway, stay away from the Allison AT545. Shoot for one with an overdrive gear.
Kinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2019, 09:32 PM   #3

I am looking for a biss that could sleep 4-5 people ie kids and parents so a master bed and bunks or something alomg those lines. Defentaily plan on driving and being,over the road. But I donr know alot about diesel enigines or transmissions in big rigs so I was looking for some suggestions to maybe narrow the field.
Old 03-15-2019, 10:16 AM   #4
Skoolie

Quote:
I am looking for a biss that could sleep 4-5 people ie kids and parents so a master bed and bunks or something alomg those lines. Defentaily plan on driving and being,over the road. But I donr know alot about diesel enigines or transmissions in big rigs so I was looking for some suggestions to maybe narrow the field.
You probably want something 35-40ft then. I just posted a school's listings in the classifieds section from Oregon. They are probably close to you and another member stated the district takes decent care of them. There are around 25 and the more selling at the same time probably means they will go cheaper. They have a desirable transmission, but the engines may be underpowered.(ISB) Someone would have to chime in on that.
Old 03-17-2019, 07:53 PM   #5

Awsome and thanks what transmission do they have? and do you know the engine type i just feel a little lost when i comes to the engine and transmission part so i wanna do my best to get what other people have found worked for them. Are there any sources out that that you know of that would list engines and their pros and cons?
Old 03-17-2019, 08:35 PM   #6
Skoolie

Quote:
Awsome and thanks what transmission do they have? and do you know the engine type i just feel a little lost when i comes to the engine and transmission part so i wanna do my best to get what other people have found worked for them. Are there any sources out that that you know of that would list engines and their pros and cons?
There are some threads already on this forum that discuss a good bit of info that you are looking for. Just use the search bar at the top or go to google and accompany whatever text with "site:skoolie.net". I think most of the Oregon buses have 5.9 Cummins ISB's with Allison 3060 transmissions. Some are large and some are medium sized. The transmissions are what you want, but the ISB's might be on the lower end as far as hill power.