Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-21-2017, 06:06 PM   #41
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
its the adventurous entrepenuerial side of people.. find a hiobby, enjoy it and then wonder what the possibility of selling it as a service is...

I played with computers since I was a youngster in about 1980... been doin it ever since.. started playiung with software and code, and automation, serversa, routers, yiou name it.. all the way up.. from the birth of Linux i was doin it.. to where finally all that stuff i played with for years as toys and hobbies to make my house the coolest on the block is now payin mine anbd a good number of other peoples' bills..

the idea that someone might be able to start a business flipping busses or installing solar, or planning skoolies is just awesome...

the same concept of how I took a hobby, and with the help of a couple others we got the idea we could manufacture a product similar to one widely available(everyone makes phone systems right?) and sell it for less... and still live comfortable..

theres no rocket science.. spray insulation can be had from pro companies everywhere usually for lots of $$.. but someone might be able to use connections and networking from the skloolie community to source it and spray busses for 30% less than a pro and still make $$ themselves is the american spirit...

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:31 PM   #42
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
Foam used to be an expensive setup, but like everything newer systems are easier, lighter and more efficient. My thoughts are the commercial foam people have a majestic markup. Lots of people starting to get into that business now so the competition is increasing. I'd try to work out a discount with a foam business. I no longer feel the need to do everything myself. Besides, it would be terrible if I got foam in my hair.
Old 03-23-2017, 10:44 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Rated Cap: 15 passenger
My furniture is an exact match to Robin's. Green and white folding lawn chair and brown anti gravity thing!
Peach Camp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 01:05 AM   #44
Bus Geek

Well yeah, only the best patio furnishings will do. I would really like to have a recliner in here, but not until the chips stop flying with this build. I'm getting close.
You might have noticed in photos I'm very fond of using 1/2" rigid styrofoam insulation cut snugly to fit the windows. Putting insulation in the windows dramatically reduced my heat loss during the winter and provides privacy at the same time. I have quite dark tinted windows in this bus but that doesn't give me any privacy at night if there are any lights on inside the bus. I was going to use curtains, but generally I like to be able to see out because I'm in the mountains. I'm boondocking in my driveway.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #45
Bus Geek

The weather has been quite nice, not raining, lately so I decided to do some painting. Went to Lowe's in town and got some Rustoleum. There still doesn't seem to be any problem with finding oil based paint and it's still about $25 per gallon. There weren't any hardeners available but the guy seemed quite knowledgable so got Flood brand penetrol, rather than acetone. It's supposed to improve penetration but I'm pretty sure acetone functions very similarly.
Naturally within an hour it began raining.
I also stopped at a real paint store to try to find some hardener. The guys said there are so many different types of base material used in paints that you have to get the right hardener or it'll just make a mess that I'd regret later.
Rustoleum doesn't produce Rudy Brown anymore, but they do make a brown rusty metal primer which is what I went with. I want to blend when I'm boondocking. I haven't seen any rust on this bus. I just wanted a paint that penetrates well and is easy to touch up in future years. The one thing I didn't get was sandpaper. Duh!
Now I'm thinking a steel brush mounted on a grinder would scuff the surface enough to hold paint well. Anybody done that?
Old 03-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #46
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
The weather has been quite nice, not raining, lately so I decided to do some painting. Went to Lowe's in town and got some Rustoleum. There still doesn't seem to be any problem with finding oil based paint and it's still about $25 per gallon. There weren't any hardeners available but the guy seemed quite knowledgable so got Flood brand penetrol, rather than acetone. It's supposed to improve penetration but I'm pretty sure acetone functions very similarly.
Naturally within an hour it began raining.
I also stopped at a real paint store to try to find some hardener. The guys said there are so many different types of base material used in paints that you have to get the right hardener or it'll just make a mess that I'd regret later.
Rustoleum doesn't produce Rudy Brown anymore, but they do make a brown rusty metal primer which is what I went with. I want to blend when I'm boondocking. I haven't seen any rust on this bus. I just wanted a paint that penetrates well and is easy to touch up in future years. The one thing I didn't get was sandpaper. Duh!
Now I'm thinking a steel brush mounted on a grinder would scuff the surface enough to hold paint well. Anybody done that?
All sandpaper does is provide a mechanical "tooth" to bond to the substrate. Any scuffing of the surface will provide that bond. Sandpaper just does it more evenly. No reason a wire wheel can't do it, but it may leave more visible marks than sandpaper.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 09:47 PM   #47
Bus Geek

Thanks, I think I will get some sandpaper and at least do the flat areas with an electric orbital sander. I'll have to practice a little with the grinder/brush method to see if that works for cleaning up the side rails and seams. My bus is still sporting the glue from the reflective tape I pealed off one hot day last summer.

From what I've read in the past I should be applying seam sealer after I get the seams cleaned up. I haven't looked into getting any of that yet. I'm not leaking anywhere that I know of and I have been frequently driving in rain through the winter. You know the deal, an ounce of prevention...

I'm going with the base coat of rusty metal primer, then maybe put some earthtone wavy stripes to imitate a motorhome or modern commercial bus paint job. Kind of like earthtone or camo colors, but in a motorhome paint job pattern. I want to blend but not look like money. I think the bus windows pretty well capture the not looking like money issue. I'm not rich by any standard, but there are people that think you've got money if you've got a bus or a motorhome.

Even after reading so many threads on this site it still feels like I'm in the dark while going through a build the first time.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #48
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
I think sandpaper is the best option because you want a more even scruffing. Start with a lower grit first and once you've applied your first coat, sand it down with a very high grit which will smooth it down nicely before you apply the second coat.
I'd love to paint mine something pretty with awesome colors but the sensible me says that I also want to blend in with nature so I can't do that

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 03-27-2017, 08:49 AM   #49
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Thanks, I think I will get some sandpaper and at least do the flat areas with an electric orbital sander. I'll have to practice a little with the grinder/brush method to see if that works for cleaning up the side rails and seams. My bus is still sporting the glue from the reflective tape I pealed off one hot day last summer.

From what I've read in the past I should be applying seam sealer after I get the seams cleaned up. I haven't looked into getting any of that yet. I'm not leaking anywhere that I know of and I have been frequently driving in rain through the winter. You know the deal, an ounce of prevention...

I'm going with the base coat of rusty metal primer, then maybe put some earthtone wavy stripes to imitate a motorhome or modern commercial bus paint job. Kind of like earthtone or camo colors, but in a motorhome paint job pattern. I want to blend but not look like money. I think the bus windows pretty well capture the not looking like money issue. I'm not rich by any standard, but there are people that think you've got money if you've got a bus or a motorhome.

Even after reading so many threads on this site it still feels like I'm in the dark while going through a build the first time.
I used a can of brake cleaner to clean off the residue from the stickers. A hair dryer/heat gun will (slowly) help take care of the reflective tape. that stuff is formidable!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 11:41 AM   #50
Bus Geek

I took the reflective tape off last summer on a hot day. The glue really didn't seem to want to come off with the tape at all. Now the remaining glue traps dust and turns dark. I was going to try running a wire brush on my grinder to get the glue off. I believe I saw a video where someone used oven cleaner to get the glue off. I'm trying to avoid any petroleum based products because that could affect the paint later.

The paint guys said to paint it on a cool dry morning if possible. I think this is one time my airless house painting setup will work well. I've still got to remove the windows and upgrade the caulk first. Lots to do.
Old 04-17-2017, 11:37 AM   #51
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
I just found (or maybe re-found, I can't remember...) your thread Robin! I see what you mean about the work you had to put into your spray foam - wow!
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2017, 12:33 PM   #52
Bus Geek

Yeah, I'm not proud of that choice on foam. That hard foam kind of soured me on the whole insulation process. I really thought it would be similar to the foam in the kits, but not so. I'm just glad all that cussing I was directing at the foam guy is finally over.

I've got less than 5% remaining to finish the walls now so there isn't much foam showing anymore, so the excessive foam job is starting to be a more distant nightmare now.

The bus sounds a lot different inside now that it has an interior, of sorts. I'm trying to use some of my old bus seats but I can't quite connect them to the chair rail now that I've insulated the walls. Time to start looking for some of those rotating captain's chairs.

My camera died, but all I've accomplished lately is finishing putting the plywood on the ceiling.

In the future I'd like to live in a finished bus while working on another bus from scratch. Living in the same bus you're working on means you're going to eat and breath some of the insulation particals. I've blasted the insulation particals out with an air hose numerous times but I still find them floating around occasionally too.

Every now and then I still find a rivet rolling around on the floor. That may say something about my cleaning skills.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:51 AM   #53
Bus Nut

Year: 1987
Engine: 6.9L Diesel
Quote:
I feel ya mate, every step I make, I feel like a deer in headlights. Even if I do the research beforehand, I hesitate and with good reason. I have redone my shower about 4 times in the past month hah!

Good luck with progress, and I hope you get a pix taker soon. I assume your phone isn't smart (aka limited surveillance)?
TAOLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 PM   #54
Bus Geek

I have a flip phone but I don't know how to take pics with it. I don't even know how to turn on the speaker.
In my own defense I live well beyond cell range. That's why a simple flip phone was my choice and even at that it's used less than once a month. Not much use for a smart phone out here.
Old 04-21-2017, 09:01 AM   #55
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1990
Coachwork: Chevrolet
Chassis: B-60 Short Bus
Engine: 6.7 liter Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 22,000 GVW
Wow, finally got to check out your build! That's some amazing foam! We won't bother with any of that, mostly because we don't deal in cold weather (and heck, there's a heater) but I sure would love to find something other than Lizardskin ($$$$) to put on the floor up in front to keep our feet from roasting from engine heat. Noise dampening would be a total bonus.

I know you say you don't have a plan, really, but I'm sure it will turn out fine. I figure these buses are evolving projects, where you use it in whatever condition it is until you think of something else you want to do with it.

And frankly I'm so jealous of your top speed that I can hardly take the time to admire your woodwork!
FunkyChickenBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 09:55 AM   #56
Bus Nut

Year: 2000
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: Your mom +1
Quote:
I have a flip phone but I don't know how to take pics with it. I don't even know how to turn on the speaker.
In my own defense I live well beyond cell range. That's why a simple flip phone was my choice and even at that it's used less than once a month. Not much use for a smart phone out here.
ugh, I envy you. I was forced to get a smart phone recently for work and I absolutely hate it. It just decides to do what it wants regardless any settings I've disabled or told it not to update... When we pull up stakes in July I will gladly smash the hell out of it. No cell phone is my goal...
slaughridge85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 12:02 PM   #57
Bus Geek

slaughridge85; Right back at you. I have a flip phone only because several times per year I absolutely have to make a call to somewhere. I don't live within cell range and have to walk about a half mile to the top of the mountain to make a call. Have you noticed that most of the phone booths are gone? There's still pay phones in bars, but the booths seem to be off the streets.
I'd be out in the woods on a nice day and I'd start getting these calls. No wonder we can't relax anymore. You can't get away anymore.

teamdixiechickens; It's true that I have no concrete floor plan. Most of that is because I've kept moving things around while I worked on the interior walls and skinning them with plywood. I'm always giving up 1/4 or 1/3 of the bus for construction purposes, then that area changes to the next section. It's not good to try to live in a bus while you're working on the interior, but I figure this is a way to keep me from procrastinating. Rub my nose in it every day.

This has been an interesting process overall. I've made my mistakes, making it more difficult than it had to be. That's what usually happens when I experiment and take chances.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:09 PM   #58
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
Got to agree with everyone else...great job on the foam. I live in a hot weather climate and good insulation is a must.
Old 04-23-2017, 04:44 PM   #59
Bus Geek

Thanks. I'm hoping to test this out in hot weather in the near future. I'm not getting any cold spots on my ceiling or walls even where the ribs are, except the windows of course.

I'm very satisfied with this foam for it's insulative qualities. That said, I was told this was foundational insulative foam. It's very rigid and has crush resistance. I really thought I'd be able to use my bread knife to trim the foam. I kept trying larger tools until I ended up with a 4' crosscut and a pruning saw. I couldn't operate the crosscut saw on the ceiling for any length of time so that's why the pruning saw came in.

Looking back it's kind of comical, but at the time I was so angry because of the density of the foam. I'd barely gotten over working overhead on all those rivets. Lots of aspirin.

I like to color outside the lines at times and I usually end up paying for it.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #60
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Chassis: E-450
Engine: 7.3 Turbo
When you say that it sounds a lot different inside, do you mean quieter? And related to that...is there any truth to the claim that spray foam insulation makes the bus quieter?