Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2017, 12:28 PM   #161
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: IH
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
Hey wait a minute, the CSX line near the gf's house has all kinds of rail road ties they just replaced. A couple of those and a chainsaw... hmmm.
Best ask someone before helping yourself. Story goes a couple ... "enterprising fellows" decided a pile of coarse gravel next to the tracks would be better used in their driveway. The RR caught 'em and had the local cops pick 'em up. Supposedly they prosecuted for "stealing RR property" under some very old Federal Offense statute (we're talking something like WWI era) and had 'em locked away for 50 years in a federal pen to make an example out of them. **DISCLAIMER** I haven't verified this story so it may be just an urban legend, but you don't want to get caught all the same.

Brad_SwiftFur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:12 PM   #162
Mini-Skoolie

Don't know about the 50 year sentence, but I do know that if you get caught helping yourself to materials...used or new ties, gravel, etc. They will eat you. Here in Texas anyway.
dowoplover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 01:44 PM   #163
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
I found a forgotten rr tie when they redid ours a couple years ago. It was down 20 feet in a steep culvert. Maybe that's why they left it.
Brand new covered in pitch they weigh at least 185lbs. This was the first new unused one I'd ever found. Man, I had to carry it up by myself, but now I've got it. Found three real nice used ones. The used ones you can just take. I'd just leave the new ones alone till they're done.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:31 AM   #164
Bus Geek

Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad_SwiftFur View Post
under some very old Federal Offense statute (we're talking something like WWI era)
1) WWI isn't old stuff; 1857 is old. RR's have been around for 200 yrs now.

I do believe the federal part without a doubt tho. NTSB and all that kind of jazz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dowoplover View Post
Don't know about the 50 year sentence, but I do know that if you get caught helping yourself to materials...used or new ties, gravel, etc. They will eat you. Here in Texas anyway.
RR have problems with hobos stealing everything that IS nailed down. Recycling places have a gentleman's agreement at the very least that you can't recycle any RR stuff. Old spikes, tie plates, etc.

My daughter had about 20 spikes she "collected". They wouldn't take them so I stuffed them in a pipe and squished the ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
The used ones you can just take. I'd just leave the new ones alone till they're done.
I'm not going to swipe anything new but used is fair game. There's a few pieces of track near my house that are from an old spur. Trees growing up thru it now. Full section of track that's gotta be 20 feet long and still attached to the ties but ripped out of the ground and tossed to the side. There's a little 3 foot section that I want. I was out collecting my own spikes to practice welding. I want the 3 ft section to slice up into little anvils but even at 3 footish length the damn thing has to weigh 100 lbs. It's a 1/4 mile or more to the crossing that I use to access the track. Too damn heavy for that damn far. The old spur goes to some warehouse looking building but it's behind a fence so I don't think I can get back there thru their driveway either.

On a side note, up at the gf's in PA there was a HUGE pile of used ties with a sign on them that said Property of SomeCompanyOrOther (wasn't CSX or AmTrak). I guess those will be chopped up and sold as yard timbers for $20 a section on the internet someday soon.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:48 AM   #165
Bus Geek

Year: 98
Coachwork: 1. Corbeil & 2. Thomas
Chassis: 1 ford 1998 e350 4x4 7.3 2 mercedes 2004
Engine: 7.3 powerstroke & MBE906
Finally , back on track, no pun intended, All wheels / tires are done, back to he interior.

later J
joeblack5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 06:09 PM   #166
Bus Geek

Some discussion about the LED destination sign with family wagon. Would have been cool to play with it but storage is at a premium in this bus. So out it went.

School Bus Conversion Resources - joeblack5's Album: not a skoolie - Picture

More light coming in. The signs and cables weighted a good amount.

later J
Old 07-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #167
Bus Geek

Mom cut the letters to do a first test on looks.

The new to me tires seem to be a lot quieter and smooth then the old ones, and it even looks like the bus is sitting a little higher.

A lot of work to do today in the hope that i will pass this inspection.

Later J
Old 07-30-2017, 10:14 AM   #168
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
If it "looks like it's sitting a little higher"...I would suggest you compare old and new tire diameters. Taller tires will give you some added highway speed but also throw off your speedo.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2017, 05:53 PM   #169
Bus Geek

Well it should, tire size changed from 245- 70-R19.5 to 265-70 R19.5
It is not a lot but it helps.

This morning was the advanced inspection to modify the thru reconstruction from a bus into a motorhome. We passed . Now Harrisburgh as to OK it as well and send me a new title and plate.

The scale print out showed 14000LBs rear axle and 6000 lbs front axle.
I lowered the GVWR from 28600 to 26000 LBS.
According to the inspector that was not required for a motor home / CDL application but I figured I would not get to that weight anyhow. Just playing it safe with the variation in knowledge of the different officers in relation to a CDL.

Later J
Old 08-01-2017, 06:29 AM   #170
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeblack5 View Post

This morning was the advanced inspection to modify the thru reconstruction from a bus into a motorhome. We passed . Now Harrisburgh as to OK it as well and send me a new title and plate.

According to the inspector that was not required for a motor home / CDL application but I figured I would not get to that weight anyhow. Just playing it safe with the variation in knowledge of the different officers in relation to a CDL.

Later J
Nice but glad I don't have to deal with PA inspections.
Old 08-02-2017, 06:55 AM   #171
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne Lifeguard
Chassis: International S1853
Engine: 9.0L V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:

Later J
Quote:
Nice but glad I don't have to deal with PA inspections.
Harrisburg kicked mine back. I replaced my red and amber warning lights (which you obviously don't have to deal with) with off-road lights. From my Jeep research, I already knew they had to be covered in PA, but my inspector didn't give me the chance to for the photos. So they sent it back to me asking me to cover or remove them. Now I need to contact the inspector again so he can take new photos and sign them.

PA is quite the process, but it's not really hard if you know what you're doing, just a hassle at times.
BeeLDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 07:43 AM   #172
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLDub View Post
PA is quite the process, but it's not really hard if you know what you're doing, just a hassle at times.
If the dude showed up before you were ready then shame on them. And what a PITA.
Old 08-02-2017, 08:38 AM   #173
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Coachwork: Wayne Lifeguard
Chassis: International S1853
Engine: 9.0L V8 Diesel
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
If the dude showed up before you were ready then shame on them. And what a PITA.
You actually have to take it to them, and leave it there for a day or so. I had the covers ready to install when I took it in, but due to some heavy showers, I was more worried about staying dry myself and forgot to put them on. They were sitting next to the driver's seat, and he could have installed them himself if he wanted. But I called to let him know I forgot, and that I would stop by to install them before he takes the pictures. But he said he didn't think there would be any issues, and sent me on my way. I will call him today to get new pictures taken and signed to send back to PennDOT
BeeLDub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2017, 08:45 AM   #174
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeLDub View Post
But I called to let him know I forgot, and that I would stop by to install them before he takes the pictures. But he said he didn't think there would be any issues, and sent me on my way.
Bureaucracy at it's finest.
Old 08-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #175
Bus Geek

Moving on, wanted to finish the bedroom but needed some insulation behind the panels I put in. There is 2-1/2" space and I put a 2" panel on the outside and on top a 1/2" panel.

Although it is not so well visible but these 2" panels are surrounded by foam. All is aluminum , even anodized o little chance on corrosion.

Let this sit overnight and then added the second layer.

This one i made real tight and all the open volume is filled ( I hope).
One more section to do before I can put some wood up.

later J
Old 08-03-2017, 01:12 PM   #176
Bus Geek

The last part of this panel insulation. I used packing foam strip with double sided tape against the aluminum frame members to create a thermal break against the wooden panel that is going up next.

I made the panel and transferred the original screw holes as to make not more holes in the aluminum then strictly required.

later J
Old 08-04-2017, 07:31 AM   #177
Bus Geek

recirculating shower

Starting to design the shower area . I want to use a recirculating design with some filters. To keep it as simple as possible I am going to build a 2 gallon collection reservoir in the tub floor and want to get that water out with a submersible pump.
Any one has suggestion about a submersible DC pump with low volume and high pressure.

So my idea is to fill the 2 gallon reservoir from the clean water tank. Then drop the submersible pump into the reservoir and circulate thru filters and heat the water. When the water is warm then you take the shower.
At the end you stop the heater and remove pull the pump. Then drain the 2 gallon water out of the collection reservoir.
Probably can be done with one gallon.
Probably can use a shurflow pump and keep it just above the water level and make a cover for it.
Probably make the 300 watt heating element in the collection reservoir with a float switch that turns it off when the water level is to low.

Please comment
Old 08-04-2017, 08:12 AM   #178
Bus Geek

Quote:
Starting to design the shower area . I want to use a recirculating design with some filters.
I've thought about doing the same. How dirty can shower water get? I don't think I'd want to go as low volume as you are planning.

Quote:
Probably make the 300 watt heating element in the collection reservoir with a float switch that turns it off when the water level is to low.
Not a bad idea; the float switch. But I think I'd rather have a thermistor so it won't heat when it's over XXX° regardless of volume. I've not searched them in a long while and when I did it was for a coffee maker and something like 175°. A little too warm for my liking in a shower. They gotta be available at 105~110° range too. Old hot tub or something.
Old 08-04-2017, 11:13 AM   #179
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: MCI
Chassis: 102 EL3
Engine: DD 60
Quote:
I want to use a recirculating design with some filters. To keep it as simple as possible I am going to build a 2 gallon collection reservoir in the tub floor and want to get that water out with a submersible pump.
Any one has suggestion about a submersible DC pump with low volume and high pressure.
Interesting Joe. My only experience with shower drain pumps was in sailboats. They were pretty much just a simple water pump (like a Shurflo) but had a big "screen" or two to catch all the hair and junk. Another option might be a bilge pump but I think a pre-filter would be critical.

I'm assuming the reasoning behind this is to be able to take long-ish showers without using a lot of water (as opposed to navy showers)? I like the idea of a longer shower but not sure I like the additional complication. That said, I think the Earth Ship homes run all this gray water thru their greenhouse "planters" which does a real good job filtering it. Of course, they only use soaps that are acceptable for plants and such. Not sure if that triggers any ideas or not.
JDOnTheGo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #180
Bus Geek

I think it will work well. gray water tank an so can be much smaller and energy consumption as well. Fresh water tank will last much longer.

finally finished the bunk bed.

Now I have to make the second filing cabinet on the opposite side and then a wall with a folding door.

Tags
double pane window diy