Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Nothing yet lol

I will update the thread name, when I actually have a bus. I plan to update this thread as I go along from start to finish so expect it to be slow to start and long to finish I will have to learn everything as I go as I have no background to support this new endevor...

I think I am going to go look at a 67 Ford Bus tommorow add says runs and drives good, no pictures and its about 2 hours away. I am torn between wanting perhaps a more dependable newer model, and the classic looks which I dig.

Anyone care to share thier 2 cents?

Old 08-29-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Almost There

Year: 1991
Coachwork: international
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 7.3
Rated Cap: 22
Re: Nothing yet lol

Welcome and good luck finding your bus . Keep us posted on things .
shortstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

yeah its a cragslist bus, and priced almost as much as a newer one....been talking myself out of it actually so thank you for re-stating what I should already know

I think I might just have buck fever or rather bus fever...think I will pass on even looking at it.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:17 AM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

So I am thinking about driving 3 hours (round trip) to go look at...

1985 International School Bus. Detroit Diesel, 5 Speed, Excellent Condition. 7 new 900 R20 Radial Tires...

pics look good seems like a very flat roof...and I want a roof rack so flat might help or at least make it look smoother....

heres a pic from the ad..
Old 08-31-2009, 03:48 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Good luck! Remember, the main thing is what a bus is worth to you, not everyone else.
Smitty
Yeah I only post buss I am interested in, because I know every vehicle class has its lemons and usually only the ones who are in that particular "scene" know about them..Particular model years with bad engines or what not...

But my luck I will get a response saying dont buy that one because of xyz...the day after I bring it home
Old 09-02-2009, 06:10 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Finally talked to the seller, this bus is to short for my desires.... shame I really dig that flat roof.
Old 09-06-2009, 11:06 PM   #7
Skoolie

Year: 90
Coachwork: blue bird
Chassis: International
Engine: Navistar Straight 6 Turbo
Rated Cap: 65

Also, don't forget your local school district. The mechanics there are usually a wealth of good info as to what to look for and steer clear of. They can also tell you where and when they take their buses to be sold. A bus that has just come from a district is preferable to one someone else might have gotten a number of years ago and given up on.

Just my opinion because I got mine thru a dealer from the district and haven't found any major problems yet.

Welcome and find one that fits your desires!!!
in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." Mark Twain
newbusser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2009, 01:42 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 640 Detroit allison

Good luck in your search. As for ours, '63 blue-bird..and YES, we rushed when maybe we shouldn't have. Looks like we're going to be doing quite a few repairs IF we keep her. It just may be too rotten to pursue. I've put up a couple other threads in that regard. The 'guys' here have all helped us out tremendously, as we just got here ourselves! Look for the Castle family bus, and also the thread about 'giving it up'. Either way, go look at it first (which is what we didn't do) Good Luck!!
Heidi & Mark
hmcastle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 04:11 AM   #9
Mini-Skoolie

well the party might be over before it begun...I think I fell off the schoolie wagon.

you see a relative just gave me a 1979 ford van E150 body. Everything is stripped or rough on it cept the body which is nice shape.

I really want more living space which is why I wanted a bus, but a nice camper van pulling a bumper pull might be just as good as a bus pulling a toad.

I was thinking I have this van body now what do I do with it...guess I will store tools and crap in it, but a google search of 79 ford van turned up some neat 4x4 conversions and I think a 4x4 camper would be a total asset for boondocking (one of the reasons I wanted a bus high clearance)

I am steal dreaming/planning/pricing parts / comparing to a bus. so dont kick me out just yet in fact feel free to discourage all you want.
Old 09-27-2009, 10:38 AM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

further inspection of this "great body" van that was given to me reveals rusted holes, rusted window areas, and apparently the E150 frame is lighter duty than the E350 frame (makes sense I guess) so payload would not be enough....back to the drawing board....those 4x4 vans sure look fun though might still be an option just not with this van....

Question now is what to do with this van lol, might just leave it sit next to my garage and use it for storage, might put some bunks and a porta jon in it weld a tongue on it and use it for a cheapo deer blind....

suggestions?

P.S. Has anyone ever made a 4x4 bus?
Old 09-27-2009, 12:38 PM   #11
Skoolie

Year: 1969
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 350 Chevrolet
Rated Cap: 65
Send a message via Yahoo to C00LR

Quote:
P.S. Has anyone ever made a 4x4 bus?
not mine... but its cool!!!!!!!!!!

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... ID=3308624

"There are No Conflicts, Public or Private, That Cannot be Resolved with the Proper Application of High Explosives"

IYAAYAS
C00LR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #12
Bus Nut

Fix it up. Turn it into a mini-camper. I would bet that there are going to be times when you have to, or want to, go somewhere and taking the bus would be a bit of a hassle... And if it happens to have a camo paint job and likes to stalk the woods from time to time, I dont think that is a problem...
Sojakai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 06:42 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

I went to look at a 1959 school bus conversion today.
http://wichita.craigslist.org/rvs/1384529109.html

I emailed the people first and asked a lot of questions 1 specific questions was since this bus is so old is there any rust? I was told there is no rust at all except a little behind the front wheels....so I drove the 3hrs up there and another 3hrs back...

To find something the rust monster must have spit out, rust all over the outside, some on the inside, the entire frame and floor from under the bus was rusted, just 1 big rusted mess..

I was also told absolutly no leaks anywhere and everything works great...of course the transmission was covered in fresh tranny fluid and I laid there and watched the drips falling to the puddle on the ground, oh and inside the cabinets had water damage too.

Really angers me that I wasted a day and $50 gas/food to go look at something that was misrepresented...I mean its very old and I kinda expected it was too good to be true, but when I asked its condition I should have been told...I wouldent have purchased it under any circumstances because I dont like to suport that type of people..

Ok rant done, still mad ttyl
Old 09-29-2009, 08:42 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

the whole way up though I kinda knew it was to good to be true and there must be some trouble with it, I mean its about as old as you can get...and was glad that they didnt try to hide the rust behind "blockers" or bondo or anything for someone with the skill to do a serious restoration it will be a nice find and they will be able to easily judge what they are getting...anyway so there were good points but still wasted my time and effort because they were hoping for sale instead of being strait but I gues lots of sellers are that way.

Anyway long and short of it is I KNOW a vehicle that old is out of my league and should have not bothered to begin with..

Everything else aside though,I really really like the look of that 59.