Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2021, 11:44 PM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: Chevrolet
Engine: 5.9 Cummins Diesel
Rated Cap: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Apparently conversions have to be painstakingly difficult and expensive to get attention. Not that I'm an “attention whore”

Who are you trying to convince….. us or yourself ?
Learn how to use the Quote feature, its pretty handy.

Thanks for more snarks but the question is rhetorical and obtuse I'm sure.

Old 09-15-2021, 11:53 PM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

And before I retire for the night, one final observation if you will...

Theres a fellow down the road from me who started and skoolie conversion about 4 years back years back. I've not walked into his backyard to look at it but from the road I can see that it is a full sized rear engine school bus that he completely gutted and then raised the ceiling and cut in some horrid looking vinyl house windows, then he primered all the extra tin from the lift and thats it. He hasn't done a thing to it since then.

I said a year in my OP but in actuality it was maybe more like 6 months over the spring and summer and I was on the road with this simple, sleek and serious build that two people can live in comfortably off the grid for months.

Be snarky if you like but I just see it as jealousy as you are probably still pulling the inner panels off of your roof and ripping up the rubber and plywood floor off of your build trying to make your bus look like the living room in your house.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:22 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Yeah my build definitely looks like my living room !!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:15 AM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corno1 View Post
I think my reply was nuked.

Very impressive work, Holden. I have a question in that I have always understood propane should be stored outside. Do you feel there is any undue hazard having it mounted indoors, so-to-speak? Thanks!
The danger is if it leaks -- stored inside the vapors will pool at a low point and when there's an ignition source...
thus the protocols from nfpa /dot, and other federal ne'er-do-wells...

Laws aside, best practice's are to store propane outside the dwelling area WITH ventilated door/wall/ etc and have all your connections (leak/failure points) outside/under the vehicle...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 03:47 AM   #25
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by GarySeven View Post
SNIP...
Also the USGS is not a "Federal Agency" its a map surveying organization, but in this case it stands for "United States Girl Search" SNIP...
Your sentence structure implies a level of intelligence that makes your saying the above bit of stupidity hard to reconcile...

https://www.usgs.gov/ (NOTE the ".gov" part of their web address... )

Impersonating a federal agency vehicle may be construed as fraud --

Personally I like to know what laws/regs I'm violating -- I break 'em about as often as I need to... BUT I hate surprises! I know when I'm wrong and I'll deal with it if called on it...

Also, I love that you did a clean simple build AND you're out enjoying it!
Enjoying it IS the whole idea after all...

Lived in Colorado almost 20 years -- so much to see!
When you get a chance please check out these links too!

https://www.nps.gov/articles/leave-n...principles.htm
https://lnt.org/why/7-principles/

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:32 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

I’m interested in how and where you mounted your water tanks and such and yes I would like to know more about the toilet you made.
Thank you
Walter
Walter62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:33 AM   #27
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Quote:
As for the comment on "dumping" gray water, its a bit of shampoo in a quick shower out in the boonies as this is an off-the-grid, off road conversion and we will never, ever be parked in a KOA next to you so don't worry about the horrible soap odor lol.
Again, please consider adding waste tanks. In your original post it is clear that sink water and urine go straight onto the ground along with shower water. Your shower water is probably considered "gray" by most if not all states. Many states consider kitchen sink water "black", however, so between that and the urine, you are definitely going to be breaking the law wherever you go. Just because the BLM says you can distribute gray water onto the ground doesn't mean that each person gets to make up their own definition of what "gray water" means.

In my opinion, though, legal or illegal is not the main issue here. It's not caring about the land or other people. If you go out to a prime spot out in the southwest (which are admittedly getting harder to find) and dump your kitchen waste, soap suds, and piss in the same spot for 14 days, that location is going to be ruined for a long time afterwards. That nasty stuff doesn't just magically disappear when you leave.

There is an easy solution here - add a waste tank, at very least for the sink and urine diverter. Dump stations are plentiful and there are apps to help you find them.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 07:40 AM   #28
Skoolie

Chassis: 2000 Int Amtran
Engine: DT466HT
Rated Cap: 84
Every finished job helps us that haven't finished to stoke the fire. Thanks for post.
MacC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 10:34 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Photo Dump and a Few Comments

A few shots of the bus. Some explanations to follow.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4475.jpg   IMG_4477.jpg   IMG_4478.jpg   IMG_4479.jpg   IMG_4480.jpg  

IMG_4481.jpg   IMG_4482.jpg   IMG_4483.jpg   IMG_4484.jpg   IMG_4485.jpg  

IMG_4486.jpg   IMG_4487.jpg   IMG_4488.jpg   IMG_4489.jpg  
Old 09-16-2021, 10:44 AM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

I'm going to ignore the snarks and just concentrate on explaining what I've done.

I think its funny when people on forums assume you don't know sh*t about f*ck when you've done something cool. I've worked with propane, plumbing and electrics all my life and I'm very good on all of it.

The propane tanks are bolted in securely and are always off until needed. Unless the bus rolls down a mountainside they ain't going nowhere. If that ever happens in ANY motorhome, stuff will be flying around like a hurricane.

The on demand heater under the bus works perfectly and has a heat shield to remove any heat going into the floor or frame.

The potty is a $30 Home Depot garden hose box with PVC fingers attached to a ratcheting wrench that breaks up the poop into the peat moss. I've taken about 20 dumps in that box with no odors whatsoever and expect 100 or more without having to change out the peat moss. The funnel under the seat is attached to a tube that drains the pee out the bottom of the bus and the squirt bottle is there to sluice out the funnel and hose as pee will stink if you don't do that.

On the side door pic you can see the conduit coupling that holds the mast for the wind generator and a vent for the inside heater as well as an outside water faucet and some power hookups.

The vinyl transfers on the back of the bus are all spoofs to keep the unwanted clear and away and it works well. The USGS is no more a Federal institution than the USPS.

I also added a tow receiver for pulling a small (official looking lol) 4 wheel drive pickup.

Any Q's? Please feel free to ask.
Old 09-16-2021, 11:48 AM   #31
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: El Dorado Fiberglass
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: V10 Gas
Quote:
lol I wouldn't have bothered posting here had I known that I'd get just an handful of comments.

Apparently conversions have to be painstakingly difficult and expensive to get attention. Not that I'm an attention whore, but still a guy wants to know his efforts have been appreciated, not so much by innocent bystanders, but other builders.

I recently saw a conversion on YouTube where the couple had tiled their bus entrance and bathroom with river rock and stones. It had to be 1000 pounds of rock and mortar I kid you not and it was a viral vid as the most beautiful off-grid bus ever, and they only carried 40 gallons of water with grey water tanks and a smelly $1000 Head composting toilet. That just kills me...

Gary Seven, aka Holden Caulfield
I just saw your pics, beautiful, almost utilitarian in look yet clearly suited for the purpose and probably quite comfortable. My bus keeps the interior walls and floor, and A/C, so the shuttle vibe peeks through even though I'll have wood and tile and other cool things. Thank you for posting, it gives me confidence that my look will work well.

Regarding likes and comments. I've watched a fair share of conversion videos. Lots of crude work, crappy finish, cheap components, inexplicable design choices, hazardous installations (like of propane tanks, even by 'experienced' converters), undersized electrical systems, stupid simple water systems (where you know they just dump their graywater in the bushes-which appears to be your system as well!).
Not all, but a lot of those most-viewed vids are a young couple with reasonably good looks and video editing skills, and a lot of enthusiasm.

But those videos are as much about the experience of converting as they are about the technical solution. That is consistent with what we see from newbies-a lot of enthusiasm, a desire prove you can do it yourself and roam the country with a rig that reflects your unique esthetic. It's inspiring, especially because it kind of skips over the hard work and best practice.

The parts of this forum I frequent are more about the technical aspects of conversion, and the practical design of a rig that works well, will last long, and is easy to maintain. That's not necessarily inspiring or sexy unless you are thinking of the long game of ownership.

So two audiences and purposes. I too cringe at buses that are all flash with little thought put into the mechanicals , which is why I appreciate your description of the design work on your rig.

Thanks for all that.
Rucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:16 PM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Thank you Rucker. I agree with all you say.

And yes, the nice thing about builds is that we have the latitude to make them our own in any way we choose. If someone wants to make their build look like their living room, more power to them. The more skoolies on the road, the better off we will all be.
Old 09-16-2021, 12:17 PM   #33
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phatman View Post
Apparently conversions have to be painstakingly difficult and expensive to get attention. Not that I'm an “attention whore”

Who are you trying to convince….. us or yourself ?
I have always thought truck/bus conversions were fore getting a better built vehicle for a Lot less money
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 12:38 PM   #34
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Quote:
The USGS is no more a Federal institution than the USPS.
There is a lot to like about your bus, and sharing your build details here is a benefit to this community. All the pics are especially helpful for all of us trying to learn what's the best way to do things. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

But... something about the way you present yourself as the smartest person in the room while dismissing well-meant safety advice and casually throwing out falsehoods like the above all really detracts from from the coolness of your bus. Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this, so I'd recommend that you assess what you hope to achieve with this build thread and change your tone accordingly.

Also, don't go testing the above nonsense by dressing up like a USPS mail carrier, or you might get thrown in federal prison for up to 6 months.

U.S. Code Title 18 PART I CHAPTER 83 § 1730

Our friends at the USGS probably don't care as much, but still, just because you can get away with something doesn't mean it's ok.
Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 05:19 PM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
I'm going to ignore the snarks and just concentrate on explaining what I've done.

I think its funny when people on forums assume you don't know sh*t about f*ck when you've done something cool. I've worked with propane, plumbing and electrics all my life and I'm very good on all of it.

The vinyl transfers on the back of the bus are all spoofs to keep the unwanted clear and away and it works well. The USGS is no more a Federal institution than the USPS.

I've been using the USGS website for several years now, mainly for the water and mineral resources info, but it is one of the most interesting federal sites to browse.

U.S. Geological Survey

https://www.usgs.gov/about/about-us/who-we-are
Quote from the USGS website:

"Who We Are

Created by an act of Congress in 1879, USGS has evolved over the decades matching its talent and knowledge to the progress of science and technology. USGS is the sole science agency for the Department of the Interior. It is sought out by thousands of partners and customers for its natural science expertise and its vast earth and biological data holdings. "

Evidently they have got the gov fooled into thinking that they are a Federal agency and therefore deserve a budget

Federal budgets 2020-2022

https://www.usgs.gov/about/organizat...ge_related_con

Quote:

Also the USGS is not a "Federal Agency" its a map surveying organization, but in this case it stands for "United States Girl Search" so it gives me the right to inspect girls all over the USA. And I'm good at my job. I was actually thinking about writing "SuperMax Prisoner Transport" on the side to really, really keep the gawkers and tailgaters away, but I thought that might be a bit much.

By your logic, I guess t would be ok to put FBI on the side of my bus and if they come to arrest me for impersonation, I could just say it stands for Fat, Bald, and Ignorant and they would say "what a clever fellow" and leave me alone. Please, keep posting about about how you break the laws, I'm sure that you will gat all of the attention that you deserve.

Quote:

But thanks for the snarky comments KidHarris. I'm sure you are a hit on Facebook and Twitter.

I don't post to or read Facebook or Twitter so I am not sure that you know what you are talking about.

Note: I'm pretty sure that you knew what USGS stood for and that is why you chose to mimic one of the few gov agencies that have a reason to be out offroad.

Question: Did the fact that they probably don't carry guns (I think that the BLM, Park Service, Forest Service usually carry guns) enter into your decision process? I think that at least some gov agency employees are going to be suspicious of you. At the very least I would be worried that it gives them reasonable cause for a stop and/or a search.

might want to carry a can of grey or black spray paint in case you decide to do a little redacting.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2021, 06:07 PM   #36
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejon7 View Post
There is a lot to like about your bus, and sharing your build details here is a benefit to this community. All the pics are especially helpful for all of us trying to learn what's the best way to do things. Thanks for taking the time to do it.

But... something about the way you present yourself as the smartest person in the room while dismissing well-meant safety advice and casually throwing out falsehoods like the above all really detracts from from the coolness of your bus. Surely I'm not the only one who thinks this, so I'd recommend that you assess what you hope to achieve with this build thread and change your tone accordingly.

Also, don't go testing the above nonsense by dressing up like a USPS mail carrier, or you might get thrown in federal prison for up to 6 months.

Our friends at the USGS probably don't care as much, but still, just because you can get away with something doesn't mean it's ok.
The folks at USGS might be concerned about being blamed for something he does/did. It is not as inconspicuous as he makes it sound.

Also might be a good idea to stay away from some of these paranoid gold prospector types, could get shot for claim jumping when they find out that he is not really USGS.
Old 09-16-2021, 06:22 PM   #37
Bus Crazy

Quote:

sorry, somehow I did a double post
Old 09-17-2021, 12:16 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
I'm happy to hear you have friends.

And its OK. Don't sweat it. I'm not.
Old 09-17-2021, 12:27 AM   #39
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mekanic View Post
I have always thought truck/bus conversions were fore getting a better built vehicle for a Lot less money
Exactly. Busses are built strong and solid and are the best platform for building a tiny home on wheels.

I chuckle every time I meet a $200,000 motorhome on the road made out of 2x2"s and aluminum. I think to myself, hope you are having fun being in debt and looking forward to the next time your rig is sitting in a repair yard somewhere waiting for some genius to fix the multitude of problems that have developed (I've seen it many times across the country).

Not only that, but the poor slobs can barely haul ass at 5 mpg across the interstates to get from one KOA to another so they can hook up the satellite dish and watch the big screen TV.

What a world...
Old 09-17-2021, 12:46 AM   #40
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: C7 Cat
Just curious! Your fuel source is inside and your gas appliance is outside below the frame of your custom Off Road Skollie? Your lowest hanging hose is a rubber gas line, how long before that gets snagged? You do know that propane tanks can vent?
Oscar1 is offline   Reply With Quote