Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-08-2014, 08:25 PM   #21
r_w
Skoolie

Re: Our Skoolie Journey

Google image search for Australian roo guards. The Aussies know grill guards. Including forward control trucks.

r_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 09:06 PM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu

Cut and paste that hitch--my two cents worth.
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 12:19 AM   #23
Almost There

Year: 97
Coachwork: Me!
Chassis: BB
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by r_w
Google image search for Australian roo guards. The Aussies know grill guards. Including forward control trucks.

Good call! They do have some big roo gaurds on thier bush trucks don't they! Forgot about that. Watched a discovery show about those land trains one time. What was it 250' long tractor trailer iirc?
Ponyracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:38 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

"I happen to have a plasma table at work along with a cnc mill and some other cool toys. "

Sweeeeet! --- Sounds like you oughta' be able to fab just about anything you need. (Insert ENVY here)
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 01:20 PM   #25
Almost There

Ya sometimes we get lucky and have a decent shop. We provide the material and can use the tools in our off time.

Well here's my 1st attempt at a floorplan. Thoughts? 2 adults and a dog, maybe the occasional grandkid. Keep in mind that we will be travelling and snowbirding in this 6+ months a year.

I had to lose the garage unfortunately. No where enough room in this thing to store the bikes and us. Looks like I'll have to drag a trailer or just get a toad car and load a couple small dual sports on a rear hitch/rack.

Old 09-09-2014, 05:55 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Just a thought --- Plumbing is a WHOLE lot easier if you can keep all the wet work on one side of the bus. Preferably the driver side as that's where you'll do your draining.
Old 09-10-2014, 05:06 AM   #27
Bus Geek

biggest issue I can see with plumbing is:
if toilet and sink is in front of the rear tires, crossing over from tank to dump valve will run into your driveshaft or be dragging the road, double check measurements
bansil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 11:20 AM   #28
Almost There

Have a look at this one. I'm digging it for the larger bathroom, and the "protected" stairwell to the outside, plus I like the center door.

Water is all on the drivers side, where the dump tanks will be as well as the water supply tank. Pass side will be "fuel", diesel tanks, propane, the interior stove, and an exterior gas grill pullout. Prob also have the generator behind the rear axle on the drivers side but it's exhaust will run out the rear or drivers side.

Question, where is the best place for a fresh water tank? I've seen some of them inside, and some under the bus.
Old 09-10-2014, 02:03 PM   #29
Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84

Under the bus runs into freezing problems, inside runs into space considerations.
Timelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #30
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timelord
Under the bus runs into freezing problems, inside runs into space considerations.

This bus will be a sun chaser so hopefully freezing won't be an issue.
Old 09-11-2014, 09:21 AM   #31
Almost There

Looks like I'm not going to be able to save the garage. Maybe on the next bus. Even squeezing it to 5' it just takes up too much valuable space in the front kitchen area.
I'm just going to look for an enclosed trailer that will fit my mustang and a couple big touring bikes. Basically if we are headed out for 6 months then the trailer will come along, if it's a shorter trip then possibly just a toad car and a couple dual sport bikes on a rear rack, prob dome dr350's or some newer drz 400's.

I'm getting closer to a "firmer" floorplan.
Old 09-13-2014, 02:09 AM   #32
Almost There

Just picked up a bunch of redwood 5/16 tongue and groove lumber off cl $30. Not enough to do the whole bus but it's a start. I love CL! I've also go my eye on a couple gas powered generators that are electric start.

Thinking of mounting the generator where the front stairs currently are. I will be moving the door farther back so no issue there. I'm thinking of tying the gen exhaust into the bus exhaust. Thoughts?
Old 09-13-2014, 11:55 AM   #33
Almost There

Was perusing the short bus section and came across this thread, (great thread by the way!)

viewtopic.php?f=36&t=465837&start=105

I like what he did with his table so I'm going to steal it! Slightly modified of course.

Here's an updated floorplan,

So add something like this into the center that flips up on both sides.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:34 PM   #34
Bus Geek

In case you haven't seen'em...there are standard RV, flush in the floor table mounts that will allow you to remove & store the whole thing. Had one in a tiny little Toyota Odyssey camper that was great. Pop it in when needed, pop it out and your back to an open floor.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:49 AM   #35
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: 3800 International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango
In case you haven't seen'em...there are standard RV, flush in the floor table mounts that will allow you to remove & store the whole thing. Had one in a tiny little Toyota Odyssey camper that was great. Pop it in when needed, pop it out and your back to an open floor.
nice table, I like the way it folds up and out of the way, its not for me, that was one thing when I built my bus I wanted everything in place, no folding or un folding tables or beds etc, I like everything ready to use , but that's just me
keep up the good work and ideals
gbstewart
Old 09-14-2014, 11:06 AM   #36
Almost There

Also figure you could use the center section for storage as well. Just not sure about how to make it into a bed yet.

We apparently have 4 extra heaters in the bus, and I'm hoping that at least one is a webasto diesel heater. I'm hoping to be able to turn that into a diesel fired water heater. Don't really have a direct way ahead, just spitballing an idea now.
Old 09-14-2014, 11:10 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Ward
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: 6.6L Turbo Diesel
Rated Cap: 26

THAT is a GREAT idea!!!!!
Old 09-14-2014, 02:13 PM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

I have been thinking of modifying a bus with a garage at the back and you seem to have the skill set to carry it out. So I thought I would share my vision with you. I started out by looking at rear engine buses. Most build a bed at window height to use the engine cover as part of the bed. I then started thinking that towing my large trailer will be hard due to the height of the rear bumper. 28" is the perfect hitch height for my trailer. The idea to solve all these issues is to cut the floor and frame out 10 or 12 inches behind the rear suspension and drop the frame down to around 24 inches. By building a large square tube frame in a box shape you will increase the strength of the rear frame area. The square tube would come up from the lowered frame, connect to the original frame location, go back under your bed, and connect on to the other end of the lowered frame. This would give you a large garage with a large curbside door (or both sides) and a fully reinforced perfect height hitch. Since you are raising the roof you would also have the option of raising the bed even higher to create the garage. Remember the bus is not just floor space but also vertical space as well!
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 10:52 AM   #39
Almost There

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetfarm
I have been thinking of modifying a bus with a garage at the back and you seem to have the skill set to carry it out. So I thought I would share my vision with you. I started out by looking at rear engine buses. Most build a bed at window height to use the engine cover as part of the bed. I then started thinking that towing my large trailer will be hard due to the height of the rear bumper. 28" is the perfect hitch height for my trailer. The idea to solve all these issues is to cut the floor and frame out 10 or 12 inches behind the rear suspension and drop the frame down to around 24 inches. By building a large square tube frame in a box shape you will increase the strength of the rear frame area. The square tube would come up from the lowered frame, connect to the original frame location, go back under your bed, and connect on to the other end of the lowered frame. This would give you a large garage with a large curbside door (or both sides) and a fully reinforced perfect height hitch. Since you are raising the roof you would also have the option of raising the bed even higher to create the garage. Remember the bus is not just floor space but also vertical space as well!

AMAZING IDEA!! I'm def going to have to look into that. Wouldn't work on a rear engine bus obviously but I can see you could easily drop the floor height to the bottom of the skirting or just below. Hell if you door'd both sides u could ride it in and out. The only issue I see is the height of the bed inside and the trailer towing ability. I was actually thinking about something cool, do a double raise, (raise the entire roof then again on the rear section) like the old greyhounds then do a spiral staircase to get into bed. Wouldn't be a full spiral but you could do a 3/4 spiral that could climb 4-5' I'm sure.

Thanks!
Old 09-15-2014, 12:00 PM   #40
Mini-Skoolie

I found a picture of a front engine bus that still has the rear window. You said there where buses in the junkyard up there. It would be great if you could buy the back of this bus to graft on to yours. Cut the back and raise it with your roof and lower the door to work at the curb. Reusing is always easier and faster than creating from scratch. Now that I look at a little more, I think you could raise the door with the roof. Then you could extend the bottom of the door down to the bottom. That way you could reuse the hinges on the bottom and have a built in ramp. You would need to separate the bed on the inside from the ramp, but this would solve any loading issues or ramp storage.
Attached Thumbnails
Screenshot_2014-09-15-12-50-01-1.png  
sweetfarm is offline   Reply With Quote