Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2018, 10:56 PM   #1
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 44 or 66? 11 rows
Paint prep / rust advice needed

My bus has some rust acne, and I used a rust removal wheel on my drill to deal with it. I found nothing but nice shiny metal below the paint. I hit it with rust converter, and am somewhat puzzled as to what to do next as I prep the bus for painting.

This is just above the wheel well, above where one can reach from the outside. Are there two layers of steel, with (for me) a bunch of rust lurking in between?

My guess is that my sanding and rust converter will do a nice job of stopping the rust for a month or a season, but that it will be back. I fear I need to remove the wheel cover from the inside and go wild with a grinder, rust converter, and bondo. Thoughts?

And with the door, would you just fabricate a replacement plate from the front of an oven or some such?

Dapplecreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2018, 09:09 AM   #2
Skoolie

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DTA360
I had some serious rust on my bus and found out a good bit. If you were able to grind that rust acne away to shiny metal that means it was rusting from the acne side and not the underside. All of my floor rust came from the top where water was sitting on the metal. But if I ground half a millimeter out I could find good metal. HOWEVER, if you gring the metal and find rust pockets and no good metal then it is rusting from the underside and you have bigger problems. (The door looks rusted from the inside out. I fear when you remove that door section you will find very bad insides like I did. Check out my build to see how I did rust mitigation. 1992 Thomas vista conversion
thrifty1 is offline   Reply With Quote