Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-22-2023, 07:20 PM   #1
Almost There

Year: 2009
Coachwork: GMC
Chassis: 3500
Engine: 6.6 Duramax
Painting Roof

Is it plausible to roll out the orginal yellow paint roof, it it's prepped properly? If so, what is the best paint brand to use?

We wrapped the body of the bus and want to paint the roof a complimentary color, then spray out the cab exterior.

Thank you in advance.

Hiyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2023, 10:47 PM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000 28ft
Engine: Cummins ISB 5.9 24v, MD3060
Rated Cap: 14
Im spraying my bus, but I'm debating rolling the roof since it will be covered by solar..

I have really good luck painting with a foam roller. A lot of stuff looks as good as sprayed, but I had no waste and no taping. It especially helps on a flat surface as it levels better and runs less.

If I were you, I would clean it with a scrub brush and tsp, seam sealer the joints, roll on 1 gallon of epoxy primer, and then roll on a topcoat of urethane paint. I'm using ppg delfleet on mine. Your looking at $120 a gallon for delfleet.

Budget choice would skip epoxy primer and roll on white Rust-Oleum Professional with catalyst hardener every 3 years.
fo4imtippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 06:48 AM   #3
Almost There

Thanks for the great advice, we'll be wanting to prep it properly via the epoxy primer.

Don
Old 01-23-2023, 01:53 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Year: 2006
Chassis: IC CE300 (PB105)
Engine: DT466e @245hp | Allison 3000PTS
Rated Cap: 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiyu View Post
Is it plausible to roll out the orginal yellow paint roof, it it's prepped properly? If so, what is the best paint brand to use?

We wrapped the body of the bus and want to paint the roof a complimentary color, then spray out the cab exterior.

Thank you in advance.
I've roll-painted half a dozen school bus conversion into party buses over the last 5 years or so. The roofs usually hold up well without issues by pressure washing the top, sanding with 60-grit, sealing up leaks, then painting with Rustoleum. The only problem was sometimes low-hanging branches would scratch them and if in the right spot if the paint was too thin it'd chip away a bit which would reveal the original factory yellow paint. But being on the roof the only time I'd notice was if I was up there sealing a new leak or if I happened to look down from an elevated building.

For my RV conversion I'm going to do the same thing. It'll be covered by solar panels anyway, I just want to "brighten up" the original dull white paint for better light reflection where the panels do not cover. I've thought about clear coating the roof after painting, but not much return on investment (time & money) in my opinion.
https://youtube.com/@thetslabus
Dbacks2k4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2023, 07:13 PM   #5
Almost There

Roof Paint

Thanks for the good info, luckily our rooftop has no leaks whatsoever.

Don
Old 01-28-2023, 05:12 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 2001
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiyu View Post
Thanks for the good info, luckily our rooftop has no leaks whatsoever.

Don
Have you endured a solid week straight of rainy conditions? Have you done a substantial water hose check on each seam? Regardless I would highly urge you to take the preliminary step of sealing your seams again with Dynatron 550 Seam Sealer by 3M. Could save you major headaches and cost in the future. Plus it will help you sleep better at night knowing you did everything possible to ensure the rooftop seams are tight and waterproof.
rydawg3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 05:26 PM   #7
Almost There

You're right, will do

Thx