Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-28-2010, 12:10 AM   #21
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Re: Jake's first skoolie...

benjoy, I'll make sure I take lots of pics and notes for you. I already have info that will probably help you. Since our buses are only a year apart wire numbers may be the same. I'll try to post tomorrow what the wire numbers are for the blinkers, brakes, running lights, etc... I will be keeping the heater box, partly because of defrost but also because I like roasting my feet, but building a custom console. It should only consist of front heater controls, front aux fans, windshield wipers/wash, heated mirrors, fog lights (maybe), and the driver's light. I might be forgetting something, but I think that's about it.

Brutus
JakeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:03 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Thomas

What about insulation on the wheel wells? I haven't seen anyone put any over them, except people that build boxes on them. Are you planning to put some on? What kind?
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 11:14 AM   #23
Bus Nut

Seeria, I am going to be building a box around them and using simple fiberglass batting.

Brutus
Old 03-30-2010, 07:43 PM   #24
Bus Nut

Yes, I did have the gutters, and I am also resealing my windows right now . Well, I was until I was told that I had to go to Ohio for the rest of the week... The gutters also served to lock in the sheet metal on the side. I am actually removing them as they seem kinda useless, especially now that the sheetmetal is gone on the inside. One thing I noticed on yours is the black stuff they sprayed on the inside of your walls. Mine has it as well, but it appears to just hold the insulation in place. I just thought it was interesting that yours also had it, but no insulation.

Smitty, it actually wasn't too bad on mine to figure out what wires were for what. If the numbers match, it'll be a breeze for benjoy... I'll be getting back on friday, so I'll post the wire numbers then.

Brutus
Old 04-04-2010, 08:03 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Well, I don't have any new pics since I am still out of town, but I do have some more goodies for the bus I just scored a 2000 watt xantrex freedom 458 inverter for $450 on ebay. I also got the power sharing remote for it. I also got a large 3 way fridge(12v/110v/propane) and a roof a/c unit from a friend. I had a smaller fridge, but this one is almost fullsize with a freezer. Anyway, I should be back home shortly and will be able to get back to work!

Brutus
Old 04-06-2010, 08:45 PM   #26
Bus Nut

Well, here are some pics of the laminate flooring I installed. I have things set in their approximate places, as well. Our bedroom is going to be in the back. The walls will be covered with t&g knotty pine.

Brutus
Old 04-06-2010, 09:09 PM   #27
Bus Crazy

Looking very nice!! love the laminate flooring!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 07:40 PM   #28
Bus Nut

Smitty, what's funny is that after I posted the pic, I saw the leaf and it was bugging me, haha... The flooring is Tarkett, product line Contours, and color Golden Honey. It was on sale here for $0.88/sq. ft.! I normally don't like anything that would be described as golden honey, but that this was beautiful. Anyway, I got some more done on the bus. I installed T&G knotty pine under the windows on one side, just have to do the other side now. I also built a frame for the futon, built a battery bank, and installed my inverter. I realize the pic of the cable coming out the side of the bus might be a bit boring, but it seemed to make it seem more officially like an RV . I'm only going with a 30 amp service for now, but I can upgrade later if I want.

Brutus
Old 04-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

I like what you did with the couches. Did you have some old couch cusions laying around? I was thinking of using old bus seat foam for mine. But I like the couch cushions because they are thicker. And I would not have to worry about buying and stitching material to cover the foam.
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 08:53 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Busbozo, they are actually out of a starcraft tent trailer. Long story very short, it was nice and wonderful, but I got jipped out of a title for it, so it became a donor

Brutus
Old 04-11-2010, 10:48 PM   #31
Bus Crazy

hmm interesting. been thinking of getting a donor vehicle to cannibalize. looks like you can get some good things out of it!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2010, 07:50 AM   #32
Bus Nut

Year: 1974
Coachwork: CARPENTER
Chassis: GMC-6000
Engine: 454 CHEVY
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeC
Busbozo, they are actually out of a starcraft tent trailer. Long story very short, it was nice and wonderful, but I got jipped out of a title for it, so it became a donor
GOOD WAY TO GET PARTS

the BEAST, 350, 4 sm465, np205,
hd d44 4.56, eaton ff 4.56
CAMO-MONSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2010, 08:25 PM   #33
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: THOMAS
Chassis: SAFE-T-LINER
Engine: CAT 3116
Rated Cap: 83

Sorry to hear about the title nightmare. At least you have a donor.
BUSBOZO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 04:19 PM   #34
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Looks great Jake. The wood laminate flooring is really classy and i like the color too.
Old 04-14-2010, 11:18 PM   #35
Bus Nut

Browncrown...Thanks!! I am really happy with how it is turning out so far. I agree, the laminate REALLY adds class!! The pine on the sides gives it a cabiny feel too.

Brutus
Old 04-16-2010, 08:40 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Ok, got a little more done. The frame for the "C" shaped seating area is now done, the bus seats are mounted, and I have got started on the kitchen cabinets/counter. The steel should be ready by monday for the window skins. I am having a local shop cut the panels for me, enough to cover about half the windows in the bus and some of them in large pieces, for $150. My dad does a lot of business with him, and I think he is giving them to me for close to cost. I got my seat bolted back down, too. After the kitchen counter will be a pantry in between the counter and the futon couch, then the bathroom (which will be behind the bus seats), and then the bedroom in the back. Then run electrical and plumbing, etc., etc... Lots of work left, but it is coming along nicely. Anyway, here are the pics. In case you are wondering, the table in between the bus seats is just propped there. Also, on the counter, only the outside supports are attached, the middle ones are just sitting in approximate locations.

Brutus
Old 04-19-2010, 12:09 PM   #37
Skoolie

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: Bluebird
Rated Cap: 16

Your bus has a very clean look to it. I am stealing your method of cornering the steps with the hardwood floor. Makes it look good.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #38
Bus Nut

Thanks RUskoolietailgater!

Busy day!! I'll show you a pic of the days start and let you guess what I was doing, haha... I'll give you a hint, I was NOT raising the roof, although I must say, if I didn't have a high top, I probably would have decided to go ahead and raise it today. I have one side done, and should finish the other side tomorrow. I am wiped out and my back hurts, I shoulda waited for help but I'm not that smart, haha... I'll post pics of the finished product tomorrow!

Brutus
Old 04-21-2010, 09:54 PM   #39
Bus Nut

Ok, here is the culmination of two days worth of work...by myself I might add. I'm glad I removed all the windows, not just the ones I wanted to skin. The existing foam tape was mostly dried out and missing in numerous areas. Everything is now sealed with butyl rubber tape. The panels are painted blochy cause I was just quick coating them to keep them from rusting. In case you were wondering, I used 18 gauge cold roll for the skins. The last 2 pics are of a last minute addition. Why, you may ask, do I need an insulated double slider for my drivers side window? Because I had it, it fit almost perfect, it'll seal better, and it's cool Anyway, here are the pics. Let me know if you have any questions.

Brutus
Old 04-23-2010, 11:23 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Haha...the idea of taking this through the drivethrough is quite funny!!

Brutus