Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-21-2018, 10:47 PM   #1

Project Phantom

Hello all. First Post ever, thanks for taking the time to read.

I just picked up a 1990 Gillig Phantom that was a Medford Oregon RVTV Bus for years. It has a Detroit 50 series and Allison auto. I am almost done gutting it an drove it over 150 miles to the site where I am going to build it. it did amazing on most hills but I noticed Hays Hill on 199 it started to slow lots. Should I switch it into overdrive when climbing hills?

Also when pulling into the property where I am gong to build the gate only has a inch of room on each side and I caught a bolt with my outside tire. Lost it after its first journey. I need new tires anyways due to rot. But my question is can I leave it on on one tire on one side vs two? It is a dully and the outside popped. I want to wait a week to get new tires mounted. Is it safe to let sit on one inside tire on the right side?

Also when at red lights I noticed the bus dropped in the front, is this normal to kneel when stopped and rise in Drive? Or is this a leak and it should stay up and not kneel until the kneel switch is pressed? Do the airbags lower to make it more sporty while taking off or something?

If I was to Jack it up and block it what is the best way to do this to the back end? Where is the best place to mount a jack and how do you crib the bus? Are these jack points okay?

Does anyone media blast these things and make them like a airstream style?

Any Links to good Phantoms all done? Much Love!!! Thanks again.

Wilbournmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 12:30 AM   #2
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
Welcome,

Sounds like a cool bus. We'll need to see some pictures!

On hills the transmission should pick the gear it wants. It should be ok parked on one dual. I wouldn't drive it anywhere.

It shouldn't be kneeling when you stop. Maybe when you apply the parking brake.

I would jack it up and block it on the axle. Make sure you are on level ground and the other wheels are chocked, you don't want it rolling off the blocks. If you are working off concrete heavy duty jack stands rated for the weight of your rear axle would be best. If your working off gravel or dirt go with cribbing. Make sure the wood is in good condition with no splitting. DO NOT USE CONCRETE BLOCKS. Here are some guidelines I found.

Cribbing For Heavy Vehicle Lifting – First Due Tackle

DO NOT GO UNDER THE VEHICLE WHEN THE AIR SUSPENSION IS INFLATED. IF IT FAILS YOU COULD BE CRUSHED!

Be safe and have fun.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2018, 11:03 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Gillig
Chassis: Phantom
Engine: CAT 3208
Rated Cap: 87, says Gillig...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilbournmike View Post
Hello all. First Post ever, thanks for taking the time to read.

I just picked up a 1990 Gillig Phantom...

Does anyone media blast these things and make them like a airstream style?

Any Links to good Phantoms all done? Much Love!!! Thanks again.
Mike, congratulations on your new Gillig Phantom. "Any Links to good Phantoms all done?" Good question... Not sure I've actually seen any, but I haven't looked super hard... Hopefully Justin (Jucifer) and I will have finished examples for you in 2019. Justin is getting close; me not so much. And our Phantoms are the school bus variants. If you find good examples, please share?

And +1 on some pics...
ComfortEagle is offline   Reply With Quote