Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-12-2019, 10:16 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Rivets for the outside of the bus.

I have a 2000 Bluebird and will be raising the roof. I will be using 20 gauge galvanized sheet metal for the sides. I am wondering what type and size of rivets to use. 3/16" or 1/4". I know I will be using stainless steel rivets but am unsure of the other measurements required. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Roscodude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:37 PM   #2
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I replaced all the rivets I drilled out with square drive Phillips pan head screws. The heads are the same size and they fit tight in the old rivet hole. They were used in places on the bus from the factory and they are a whole lot less labor. Just throwing it out there. I believe the stock rivet is 3/16"
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2019, 10:47 PM   #3
Bus Nut
 
tugboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: Palmer, AK
Posts: 279
Year: 2004
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf T Liner MVP 11 window 32
Engine: CAT 3126E
Rated Cap: 72
Rivets for the outside of the bus.

i just used the same size rivets as my existing holes. 3/16 for 95% of my top rail. I drilled out any that were wollered out to 1/4. This place (eccb recommended) is where I bought 1300 SS closed end blind rivets. https://rivetsinstock.com/ Im very happy with them.
Make sure to measure your grip distance...the sum of all the layers you want to suck together.

IMG_3087.jpgIMG_3088.jpgIMG_3083.jpgIMG_3022.jpg
__________________
One...slow...step...at a time.
tugboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 12:49 AM   #4
Bus Nut
 
Join Date: May 2018
Location: topeka kansas
Posts: 717
Year: 1954
Coachwork: wayne
Chassis: old f500- new 2005 f-450
Engine: cummins 12 valve
Rated Cap: 20? five rows of 4?
umm stainless fasteners on mild steel

Look into this for further confirmation. I do not think it is recommended to use a stainless steel fastener on mild steel..... The mild steel immediately around the stainless part will try to corrode faster than surrounding steel areas. Another way to put this... The mild steel around the rivet will rust away faster than any other section of the steel skin..... stainless skins, get stainless rivets, aluminum skins get aluminum rivets, mild steel skins get mild steel rivets.

william
magnakansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 05:01 AM   #5
Bus Geek
 
EastCoastCB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Eustis FLORIDA
Posts: 21,927
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnakansas View Post
Look into this for further confirmation. I do not think it is recommended to use a stainless steel fastener on mild steel..... The mild steel immediately around the stainless part will try to corrode faster than surrounding steel areas. Another way to put this... The mild steel around the rivet will rust away faster than any other section of the steel skin..... stainless skins, get stainless rivets, aluminum skins get aluminum rivets, mild steel skins get mild steel rivets.

william
Stainless and mild steel are fine. Mild steel rivets are pretty hard to find.
__________________
.
Roll Your Own Build Thread
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 08:31 AM   #6
Bus Crazy
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Picton,Ont, Can.
Posts: 1,950
Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: GMC
Engine: Cat 3116
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I replaced all the rivets I drilled out with square drive Phillips pan head screws. The heads are the same size and they fit tight in the old rivet hole. They were used in places on the bus from the factory and they are a whole lot less labor. Just throwing it out there. I believe the stock rivet is 3/16"



Screws with a square drive head are not Phillips anywhere in the world.


Try Robertson



John
__________________
Question everything!
BlackJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:04 AM   #7
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Screws with a square drive head are not Phillips anywhere in the world.


Try Robertson



John
some history about Robertson square socket screws - Robertson, a Canadian, tried to sell his product to Henry Ford - Ford recognised what a great idea it was, but didn't want to pay Robertson's price, so he produced his own - a law suit evolved, Ford lost, and Robertson refused to sell his product in the US - after Robertson passed away, the company continued with the ban against US sales - it's only recently that the product has been available in the US
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:21 AM   #8
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: May 2016
Location: Eastern WA
Posts: 6,330
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Hmmmm.....

I started using square drive screws in California in 1987.....
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:24 AM   #9
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hmmmm.....

I started using square drive screws in California in 1987.....
quite possible - the law suit was back in the days of Henry Ford and the Model T
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2019, 09:31 AM   #10
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW_Steve View Post
Hmmmm.....

I started using square drive screws in California in 1987.....
https://www.robertsonscrew.com/history
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2019, 10:45 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Posts: 14
Thanks for your input.
Roscodude77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 12:57 AM   #12
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackJohn View Post
Screws with a square drive head are not Phillips anywhere in the world.


Try Robertson



John
#10-32*3/4 Inch Blue Zinc Plating Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg -10-32-3-4-Inch-Blue.jpg (42.8 KB, 8 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:08 AM   #13
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,961
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
#10-32*3/4 Inch Blue Zinc Plating Pan Head Phillips Machine Screw.
That looks like a #3 Phillips.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:15 AM   #14
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
That looks like a #3 Phillips.
I use a 3" Robertson bit in my impact, fits those heads perfectly and won't chatter like a Phillips can.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 885911363143.jpg (17.5 KB, 9 views)
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2019, 01:23 AM   #15
Bus Geek
 
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,961
Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I use a 3" Robertson bit in my impact, fits those heads perfectly and won't chatter like a Phillips can.
Nice! I'll have to take a look at HD for one.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 06:53 PM   #16
Bus Nut
 
sojourner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 656
Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
some history about Robertson square socket screws - Robertson, a Canadian, tried to sell his product to Henry Ford - Ford recognised what a great idea it was, but didn't want to pay Robertson's price, so he produced his own - a law suit evolved, Ford lost, and Robertson refused to sell his product in the US - after Robertson passed away, the company continued with the ban against US sales - it's only recently that the product has been available in the US
I've used Robertson screws since the early eighties here in the states. Not sure what recently is but I've used them for close to 40 years.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:03 PM   #17
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
I've used Robertson screws since the early eighties here in the states. Not sure what recently is but I've used them for close to 40 years.
what year was the model 'A' produced? - 1910 +/- - that was the time of the dispute between Robertson and Henry Ford and when Robertson vowed to never sell his screw technology in the US - it's not until recently, maybe the early 80s, that the new owner/managers started selling them in the US -lol
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 07:16 PM   #18
Bus Geek
 
o1marc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2017
Location: Dawsonville, Ga.
Posts: 9,030
Year: 1999
Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
I'll throw this wrench in the gears. DeWalt calls it a Robertson drive, Milwaukee just calls it the Shockwave square drive bit. I used it on the panhead Phillips screws.


https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...4572/203176193
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2019, 08:39 PM   #19
Bus Crazy
 
Sleddgracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: south east BC, close to the Canadian/US border
Posts: 2,265
Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I'll throw this wrench in the gears. DeWalt calls it a Robertson drive, Milwaukee just calls it the Shockwave square drive bit. I used it on the panhead Phillips screws.


https://www.homedepot.com/p/Milwauke...4572/203176193
like the refrigerators that were made popular by Frigidaire, were called 'fridges', ( now refrigerators are called fridges no matter what brand they are ) - square socket screws will be called Robertson no matter who chooses another name for them - those Panhead screws are quite handy
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2019, 04:08 PM   #20
Mini-Skoolie
 
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Central Utah
Posts: 53
Year: 1994
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Conventional
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Rated Cap: 84
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleddgracer View Post
like the refrigerators that were made popular by Frigidaire, were called 'fridges', ( now refrigerators are called fridges no matter what brand they are ) - square socket screws will be called Robertson no matter who chooses another name for them - those Panhead screws are quite handy
I mostly love the fact that most threads on this site wind up being about something completely different by the end of the 2nd page from where they started.
I'll play:
Dispose-All is a Sears brand name disposer, and nearly everybody calls all disposers "disposals."
Wire Nut is a brand name.
The plural of Kleenex is Kleenices. (Okay, that's probably not true.)
__________________
"Guess what, daddy! Boys have a penis, and girls have an agenda!"
-Hank Nichols, age 3 (some 8 years ago)
Buzz Nichols is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.3

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
×