Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2016, 07:06 AM   #461
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Most diesel engines are happiest (mpg & lifespan) at or near their peak torque number. NOT the max HP RPM.
I agree, thats one reason I started driving my bus a 60 instead of 65.. its quite happy there.. RPM's are a bit lower, easier to drive etc.

if I need to go 65 I'll put a different transmission in.. but really ive determined that most of my life.. I had listened to my father and every roadtrip was a race against anb imaginary clock in which I drove constantly and the fastest i could to "get where i was going".. I really never enjoyed the scenery along the way..

so having a bus that I drive slower is actually a good thing.. I'll have to look up the torque / HP curve on my engine.. ive not done that to see where it would be the absolute happiest.

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 10:25 AM   #462
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Not sure about your engine but I do know that my Cummins 4BT's peak torque (327fp) is at 1700 RPM and its' "sweet spot" is about 1800. Peak HP is at 2300 (mine being 130HP).

MPG's fall of rapidly as you go above 1800 as does its' life expectancy. The "B" series engines are designed to go 500,000 miles if treated reasonably. I plan doing my best to keep it happy. You can run any diesel up against its' RPM limiter but you will pay the price.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #463
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I'm really starting to get more used to the heat now that I've done a week of construction in the sun. The first day or two were the worst for sure.
I'm starting to rethink my whole bus project.
Seems to me we won't really ever be FULL timing it, as we have jobs in the area and own a home. I'm going to think about it for a day two but I'm starting to really want to USE this bus a lot. I may actually forego the roof raise and spray foam and do a much quicker, simpler conversion for weekends and weeks at a time use. Plus we have like 8 or 9 cats and a dog. I don't like keeping them cramped up in cages, either. I could be 75-90% done with the thing this year if I refocus my efforts and get a good plan together. If I don't raise the roof, I'm definitely going to do a collapsible deck up top.
I'm not at all intimidated by the raise, I just don't know if I REALLY need it for what I'm using the bus for. Sometimes its good to rethink things. IDk. Sorta "thinking out loud" a bit here. What yall think?
Hmmm, i can see foregoing the roof raise because that seems like the most time consuming thing to me. I'm not so sure i would skip the insulation tho. A roof top lounge in on my wish list too haha.
Joel Munoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 11:58 AM   #464
Bus Geek

Quote:
Not sure about your engine but I do know that my Cummins 4BT's peak torque (327fp) is at 1700 RPM and its' "sweet spot" is about 1800. Peak HP is at 2300 (mine being 130HP).

MPG's fall of rapidly as you go above 1800 as does its' life expectancy. The "B" series engines are designed to go 500,000 miles if treated reasonably. I plan doing my best to keep it happy. You can run any diesel up against its' RPM limiter but you will pay the price.
mine is rated for max life if set at 2700 Loaded RPM max and 2900 freewheel max RPM.. I think the DT466's.. the layter ones are 2500 / 2700 and the early ones were 2300 ...

yeah like you say you can run them faster but pay the price..

-Christopher
Old 08-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #465
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joel Munoz View Post
Hmmm, i can see foregoing the roof raise because that seems like the most time consuming thing to me. I'm not so sure i would skip the insulation tho. A roof top lounge in on my wish list too haha.
Oh, I'd still be insulating. Just not spray foaming.
If I don't raise, I'll be using the purple closed cell board stuff that's like an inch thick. Would be a vast improvement over the fiberglass garbage.
I may still do the raise, I'm just giving it some thought. Will either be raised or on to other aspects by the end of the summer.
If I had any help with the raise, I'd be a lot more inclined.
I'm having trouble finding a halfway level spot, can't get any of my fabricator buddies to even come out and have a look, and its gotten harder to get tools and materials lately for me.
If any of you experienced guys or gals in the southeast wanna come help me get this DONE, I'd gladly pay you a handsome fee. Seriously.
Maybe we could have a roof raise party/skoolie meetup??
I guess I'm just getting itchy to get some good progress going and need some guidance/reassurance. IDK. THinking out loud some more.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #466
Bus Geek

Tell me the cost
I can pay
Let me go
Tell me love is not lost
Sell everything
Without love, day to day,
Insanity is king
I will pay
Day by day
Anyway
Lock, bolt and key
Crippled but free
I was blind
All the time
I was learning to see

Old 08-03-2016, 01:25 PM   #467
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: International 3800 chassis
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 77
Like minded

Quote:
Oh, I'd still be insulating. Just not spray foaming.
If I don't raise, I'll be using the purple closed cell board stuff that's like an inch thick. Would be a vast improvement over the fiberglass garbage.
I may still do the raise, I'm just giving it some thought. Will either be raised or on to other aspects by the end of the summer.
If I had any help with the raise, I'd be a lot more inclined.
I'm having trouble finding a halfway level spot, can't get any of my fabricator buddies to even come out and have a look, and its gotten harder to get tools and materials lately for me.
If any of you experienced guys or gals in the southeast wanna come help me get this DONE, I'd gladly pay you a handsome fee. Seriously.
Maybe we could have a roof raise party/skoolie meetup??
I guess I'm just getting itchy to get some good progress going and need some guidance/reassurance. IDK. THinking out loud some more.
Finally, someone who is of similar mind (except for the fee part)--I would love to raise roof, but is only me and no friends/acquaintenances who might/could/would (probably not) help without costing far more than I can afford (monetary or otherwise)--wish I had more skoolies nearby to visit for motivation!

Thanks EastCoatCB for making me feel a little less alone with wanting vs. getting done!
Old 08-09-2016, 06:45 AM   #468
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:

Exactly!! Fuel economy is maximized by understanding torque (and it's relationship to gearing) and getting just "over the hump" in the torque curve of you engine. You can find this two ways (other than from a chart). One is to "feel" the engine while running. After driving a while, you can sense when it's laboring and when it's not. Two, is looking at the exhaust. If black smoke is billowing from the exhaust "economy" (and your cash) is needlessly being pumped out the tailpipe (unless on the way to a hospital, running from a zombie hoard, etc...). If you watch the exhaust and "keep it clean" you'll most likely not have a combustion temp problem (indicated on a pyrometer). Max rpm has everything to do with not hurting the engine and nothing to do with fuel economy.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2016, 06:46 AM   #469
Bus Geek

Yep. Why my next bus with have high hp and 3.73 rear.
Old 08-09-2016, 07:11 AM   #470
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
I think AWE ONE's sweet spot is 60mph @ 2200rpm
I need to add a pyro
Old 08-09-2016, 07:21 AM   #471
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by milkmania View Post
I think AWE ONE's sweet spot is 60mph @ 2200rpm
I need to add a pyro
Mine (a 1995 Genesis FE with DT408/MT643, 4.78 gears) is about 55. Decided to not be in a hurry. When I brought her home (1800 mile trip), keeping it in the "sweet spot" got me on average over 11 mpg. Was thinking of gearing up as well but we plan on being able to boondock when out and the low gears might just come in handy.
I'm actually working on the dash replacement today. Getting rid of the stupid and annoying stock dash and putting in some vintage Peterbilt gauges (I'm a truck drivers kid) to include:
Speedo
Tach
Pyro
Mechanical engine temp
Mechanical oil pressure
Oil temp
Trans temp
Diff temp
Dual air
Left and right side fuel (I built dual tanks)
Voltmeter
Manifold pressure

The stock gauge cluster have you almost flying blind.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 08-09-2016, 07:54 AM   #472
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Mine (a 1995 Genesis FE with DT408/MT643, 4.78 gears) is about 55. Decided to not be in a hurry. When I brought her home (1800 mile trip), keeping it in the "sweet spot" got me on average over 11 mpg. Was thinking of gearing up as well but we plan on being able to boondock when out and the low gears might just come in handy.
I'm actually working on the dash replacement today. Getting rid of the stupid and annoying stock dash and putting in some vintage Peterbilt gauges (I'm a truck drivers kid) to include:
Speedo
Tach
Pyro
Mechanical engine temp
Mechanical oil pressure
Oil temp
Trans temp
Diff temp
Dual air
Left and right side fuel (I built dual tanks)
Voltmeter
Manifold pressure

The stock gauge cluster have you almost flying blind.
Man, I think you're my FAVORITE builder here. Love your workmanship and designs. Can't wait to see what you do with the dash, I've been wanting something just like that. My dad's a trucker, so I know the feeling of wanting all the cool big rig stuff.
Will have that driver's window for you this fall if you still want.
Old 08-09-2016, 12:58 PM   #473
Bus Nut

Quote:
Man, I think you're my FAVORITE builder here. Love your workmanship and designs. Can't wait to see what you do with the dash, I've been wanting something just like that. My dad's a trucker, so I know the feeling of wanting all the cool big rig stuff.
Will have that driver's window for you this fall if you still want.
Thanks. Still making slow progress. I just cut the dash panel but need to get the correct hole saws tomorrow. Seems like we have very similar desires when driving these things. We'll keep in touch on the window for sure .

Old 08-23-2016, 10:27 AM   #474
Bus Geek

And ANOTHER visit from code enforcement today. They now like to just stop on by every four to five days and walk around my yard.
Their newest complaint is a wrench and screwdriver left out in my driveway. Late night moped wrenching is apparently not allowed.
Living in the city is really lame. I see why people in town get so angry.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:15 AM   #475
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Are you serious...? Im getting mad just reading that! Makes you want to figure out where those people live and walk around thier damn lawn and find **** wrong with them. What a waste of time and money!
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2016, 11:20 AM   #476
Bus Geek

I have to admit I've looked into where he lives.

I think the ghetto looking house across the street that was just "rennovated" may have something to do with all this. They have it listed for $130k. LOL. I paid $46k for mine and even after another $30k or so fixing it up it still aint worth that. So yeah I'd imagine the house they're asking twice as much for than its worth could be the cause of all this un-deserved attn from the code dept.
I do plan to start attending city council meetings if this continues.
Old 08-23-2016, 11:27 AM   #477
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
And ANOTHER visit from code enforcement today. They now like to just stop on by every four to five days and walk around my yard.
Their newest complaint is a wrench and screwdriver left out in my driveway. Late night moped wrenching is apparently not allowed.
Living in the city is really lame. I see why people in townareso angry.
Fixed it for ya
Old 08-23-2016, 01:51 PM   #478
Bus Geek

I guess I must be Lucky ... even down in florida when I drove my bus down as a moving van to my apartment I went to tthe city and got a permit to park it on the street for 7 days in a resident-only area.. cost me $5...

here in ohio.. my HOA did SAY something to me when my bus sat in front of my house for longer than 3 weeks without moving one time... they didnt write me up.. just said "you know RV's are not supposed to be on the street for more than 48 hours...".. I moved it a few days later and bring it to the house some to work on it and never heard a word more...

must be a neighbor that loves to snoop in everyone else's business at your place.. and keeps calling code...

thats when you want to look up the codes and then take everything exactly to the Maximum allowable limit just to piss em off!
-Christopher
Old 08-24-2016, 10:43 AM   #479
Skoolie

I DESPISE hoa's. When I took a transfer to NoGa, the only house we could find was in a brand new sub-division ... one that was needing the C&R's written. I got on the board and volunteered to run the balloting and write the C&R's.

It was a lot of work, but it was worth it. I wrote everything on the premise that if it can't be seen from the street, it's legal!

It's amazing the BS you can eliminate when you control the eraser.
Tedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2016, 10:55 AM   #480
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tedd View Post
I DESPISE hoa's. When I took a transfer to NoGa, the only house we could find was in a brand new sub-division ... one that was needing the C&R's written. I got on the board and volunteered to run the balloting and write the C&R's.

It was a lot of work, but it was worth it. I wrote everything on the premise that if it can't be seen from the street, it's legal!

It's amazing the BS you can eliminate when you control the eraser.
When we lived under one (never again) my wife nominated herself as the secretary (the job no-one wanted). She had all the dirt on who didn't pay their dues and such and was the first to hear if there were any complaints from my cube van (service truck/mobile marine workshop) being parked in the driveway. Needless to say, with her in position we didn't get any direct complaints (complainers are usually cowards and will not face you personally). We spent the most on new paint, new driveway and gate to park it behind on weekends and such so there wouldn't be any legitimate complaints. All that actually added value when we sold as the new owners had a place to park a boat out of sight from the street. Did a happy dance when we moved from there.