Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2017, 01:49 PM   #961
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Most of the sheets are being used as a whole sheet man. They're cut down to make stuff out of. If you need an exact sized, square sheet of steel you can't just order generic sheets.
Grrrrr....... [points at stacks of plywood]

Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:08 AM   #962
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
Perhaps it varies by supplier or market. I don't doubt that what ECCB says is true, but here in the Salt Lake City market the sheet metal I've bought has always been cut square and exactly to size. I've bought combinations of 4, 5, and 6 foot widths and 8, 10, 12 foot lengths over the years. Except that one time when I asked to have a few sheets sheared down into smaller sizes and the guy who did the work didn't know about accumulation of error when measuring.. by the time he got to the final shear on the sheet, he was off by half an inch on one side and was making parallelograms instead of rectangles.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 01:33 PM   #963
Bus Geek

I'm guessing the difference between wholesaler and retailer but still.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:52 AM   #964
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Some guy just commented on one of my YT vids offering me $2600 for RYO! LOL
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:45 PM   #965
Bus Geek

Quote:
Some guy just commented on one of my YT vids offering me $2600 for RYO! LOL
So begins the flipping business.
Old 07-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #966
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
lol. for RYO id hope the 6 and 2 got reversed
thats a nice rig
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2017, 12:55 PM   #967
Bus Geek

I just noticed/realized/paid attention... your first post is coming up on 3 yrs now. WHY THE HELL AREN'T YOU FINISHED????? Knew you had it awhile but didn't realize that long. You aren't that much further ahead than I am. And I thought I was dragging my feet. I hope you aren't contagious.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:50 PM   #968
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
lol. for RYO id hope the 6 and 2 got reversed
thats a nice rig
-Christopher
thanks! my thoughts exactly!
Was odd- got a notification that I had a new comment on my bus video- but the comment didn't show in my channel. He must've changed his mind and deleted the comment.
Old 07-26-2017, 02:51 PM   #969
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I just noticed/realized/paid attention... your first post is coming up on 3 yrs now. WHY THE HELL AREN'T YOU FINISHED????? Knew you had it awhile but didn't realize that long. You aren't that much further ahead than I am. And I thought I was dragging my feet. I hope you aren't contagious.
Ease up there, I'll take as long as I want or need. I'd rather go slow and deliberate than throw together something I don't like because of imaginary time constraints. I've done a lot of hard work 99% of the rest of yall skip over!
To each their own, to each ROLL THEIR OWN!
Old 07-27-2017, 07:21 AM   #970
Bus Geek

Quote:
Ease up there, I'll take as long as I want or need. I'd rather go slow and deliberate than throw together something I don't like because of imaginary time constraints. I've done a lot of hard work 99% of the rest of yall skip over!
To each their own, to each ROLL THEIR OWN!
Lol, just poking you. I wish I had that kind of patience. 3 yrs and just getting skin on it and I would be on to whatever the next pipe dream is. There's definitely a trend that can be graphed. When I start a project, I have all these grand ideas and start doing things the right way. At the end (if there is one), let's just get it done. I've had more than one project where I didn't bother finishing.
Old 07-27-2017, 01:40 PM   #971
Bus Geek

Quote:
Lol, just poking you. I wish I had that kind of patience. 3 yrs and just getting skin on it and I would be on to whatever the next pipe dream is. There's definitely a trend that can be graphed. When I start a project, I have all these grand ideas and start doing things the right way. At the end (if there is one), let's just get it done. I've had more than one project where I didn't bother finishing.
I try to finish anything I start. But I've had some failed projects before, too.
RYO may take a while, but its gonna be all the way I want it. I'm still deciding how I want it. Heck- I wasn't gonna raise the roof, but after taking so long and getting to REALLY think it out I went for it and its been the BEST thing I've ever done to a vehicle!
We have Ducky MacShortface for immediate, every-day bus enjoyment. Its been sitting this summer since I've gotten so busy, but it'll be painted by the end of summer for sure. Not really planning of any full conversion for the shorty, just a basic little bus/weekend camper sorta thing. Leaving most of the seats in, maybe throw a few bucket seats in instead of the factory torture devices.
Right now I'm trying to decide which bus to put the fancy Bostrom seat in.
Old 07-27-2017, 06:57 PM   #972
Bus Geek

Quote:
thanks! my thoughts exactly!
Was odd- got a notification that I had a new comment on my bus video- but the comment didn't show in my channel. He must've changed his mind and deleted the comment.
I see that happen qwuite often... sometimes I wonder if they are somehow private comments? or are they foreign and get blocked? its wierd because i see the same thing on my YT.. I get the enail but the comment is gone when I read.. and sometimes I find comments I never got the E notification for..

-Christopher
Old 07-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #973
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
What are your channels? I love watching Dredman and a few others. I have seen your channel, Christopher, but I don't think I subscribed.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2017, 08:48 PM   #974
Bus Geek

mny Youtube is random stuff.. I dont post a ton.. just when I think of something I think someone will like.. theres everything from computerized christmas lights, to a little HVAC stuff.. little bus, little hotrod..
-Christopher
Old 07-28-2017, 12:05 PM   #975
Bus Geek

Quote:
I try to finish anything I start. But I've had some failed projects before, too.
RYO may take a while, but its gonna be all the way I want it. I'm still deciding how I want it.
On that you are preaching to the choir. Hell, I should be the Pope of that church.

Quote:
Heck- I wasn't gonna raise the roof, but after taking so long and getting to REALLY think it out I went for it and its been the BEST thing I've ever done to a vehicle!
Wanted to work on mine this weekend but the gf has other plans. Just who in the hell left the wemon folks in charge?!

You insulate yet? I saw what happened to Mudda bus. Damn shame. He said he used 22 gauge. I was never planning on going that thin tho it has to be cheaper. Hoping 8 gauge is good enough.

By the by, do you have your sheet metal measurements handy? I'd like to compare them to my bus. I have my window spacings but I don't have them from the front or rear. I can kinda do them backwards since center to center I have an 8 foot section in front and a 7 foot in the rear. I should stop and get measurements from one end or the other.

Quote:
We have Ducky MacShortface for immediate, every-day bus enjoyment. Its been sitting this summer since I've gotten so busy, but it'll be painted by the end of summer for sure. Not really planning of any full conversion for the shorty, just a basic little bus/weekend camper sorta thing. Leaving most of the seats in, maybe throw a few bucket seats in instead of the factory torture devices.
Bathroom, kitchen, bedroom?

Not sure what I'd do with a shorty. A teeny tiny house, a toad, weekend camper, etc.? If I'm going backpacking somewhere I need enough room for 2 backpacks. A Smartcar would do. If I'm camping for a weekend, do I need a kitchen? If I go for a week sure but on a short bus how much real estate is it worth? Bathroom is always nice in case of a funky burrito and a lousy forecast

Quote:
Right now I'm trying to decide which bus to put the fancy Bostrom seat in.
This the van seat you snagged? I need to get one too.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:13 PM   #976
Bus Geek

What happened on MuddaEarth's bus????????
Old 07-28-2017, 12:17 PM   #977
Bus Geek

Quote:
On that you are preaching to the choir. Hell, I should be the Pope of that church.

Wanted to work on mine this weekend but the gf has other plans. Just who in the hell left the wemon folks in charge?!

You insulate yet? I saw what happened to Mudda bus. Damn shame. He said he used 22 gauge. I was never planning on going that thin tho it has to be cheaper. Hoping 8 gauge is good enough.

By the by, do you have your sheet metal measurements handy? I'd like to compare them to my bus. I have my window spacings but I don't have them from the front or rear. I can kinda do them backwards since center to center I have an 8 foot section in front and a 7 foot in the rear. I should stop and get measurements from one end or the other.

Bathroom, kitchen, bedroom?
Just a shitter and a bedroom or maybe fold down murphy style bed. No kitchen. MAYBE an outdoor shower like RV's have

Not sure what I'd do with a shorty. A teeny tiny house, a toad, weekend camper, etc.? If I'm going backpacking somewhere I need enough room for 2 backpacks. A Smartcar would do. If I'm camping for a weekend, do I need a kitchen? If I go for a week sure but on a short bus how much real estate is it worth? Bathroom is always nice in case of a funky burrito and a lousy forecast
Think combination cargo van, friend and pet hauler, and somewhere to crash and/or take a crap while out on weekend adventures.

This the van seat you snagged? I need to get one too.
No, I got a nice Bostrom air ride seat a trucker was selling for a hundred bucks
Old 07-28-2017, 12:27 PM   #978
Bus Geek

Quote:
What happened on MuddaEarth's bus????????
Check out his Paint & something video. All of his new skin oil canned on him. From the comments attached to the video, it's because of the spray foam. Not a slight on him but it looks terrible. Mostly because of how good it looked to start with.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:31 PM   #979
Bus Geek

Quote:
Check out his Paint & something video. All of his new skin oil canned on him. From the comments attached to the video, it's because of the spray foam. Not a slight on him but it looks terrible. Mostly because of how good it looked to start with.
I did see his skins looked a bit wavy.
I would NOT go 8ga. That's what mower decks and stuff are made of, man. WAAAAAY overkill. 16ga is slightly overkill, imo.
I'm using 18ga.
But I'm also using foam board, with only *some* areas getting spray foamed.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:33 PM   #980
Bus Geek

Quote:
Just a shitter and a bedroom or maybe fold down murphy style bed. No kitchen. MAYBE an outdoor shower like RV's have

Think combination cargo van, friend and pet hauler, and somewhere to crash and/or take a crap while out on weekend adventures.

No, I got a nice Bostrom air ride seat a trucker was selling for a hundred bucks
I was thinking a small coleman stove but you're right, you can throw one of those in there without it being countertop/permanent. No need for anything bigger than a full size bed for a weekender. Smaller if you do a custom size. Should be more than a twin tho.

except for the cargo part! You've got the work van for that.

Even better (I guess). I don't know what a Bostrom is other than a typo trying to spell Boston. I'll google it tho so no worries.