Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2017, 09:34 PM   #741
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 72
Glad you finally got to the raise, cant wait to see the transition. I havent really thought about doing a small window unit in the back, I just planned on doing two roof top units, but i like the cost factor of using a window unit in the rear.

Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:57 PM   #742
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Amtran Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466
Rated Cap: 84
I'm really liking your roof raise so far! You did go 10 inches right? Gives me ideas for mine. I'm 6'2" and think I'll go at least 16 inches on mine. I'm not going to do a transition. Going to raise the whole thing.

Seeing your raise with the all thread cemented that as my go to method when I get to that stage.

Congrats on your new short bus too!
Asetechrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2017, 05:21 PM   #743
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief View Post
Glad you finally got to the raise, cant wait to see the transition. I havent really thought about doing a small window unit in the back, I just planned on doing two roof top units, but i like the cost factor of using a window unit in the rear.
Yeah with the raise, I'm not wanting to have rooftop units. Plus they're LOUD. So I'm using a window unit for the rear and a mini split 9k unit for the front living area. Thanks, the transition will be done monday. I've got a guy who does custom sheetmetal work mostly on cars. Hoping it looks good, I know I can't weld 18ga worth a @#$&.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asetechrail View Post
I'm really liking your roof raise so far! You did go 10 inches right? Gives me ideas for mine. I'm 6'2" and think I'll go at least 16 inches on mine. I'm not going to do a transition. Going to raise the whole thing.

Seeing your raise with the all thread cemented that as my go to method when I get to that stage.

Congrats on your new short bus too!
Four pieces of all-thread will do just fine.
I'd have gotten 7/8" but the 3/4" did just fine and was free.

Thanks for the kind words, yall. Feels good to have achieved such a milestone finally.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 07:33 AM   #744
Bus Geek

I may be in luck!
A good friend of mine who's a hell of a REAL fabricator is off this weekend and coming over right now to try n knock out that transition spot.
If I could do it over again, I'd just have gone straight up and not done a slope, just a flat panel to cover between high and low, like on a Wanderlodge.
Got some stuff to cut out and re-position, and some templates to make and cut.
This has been a huge learning experience for sure, I'm loving it.
I'm still feeling a little sick from that cold this week. Missed a ton of work.

Hoping to have the transition done, and by the end of the week I'm gona try to have the materials ready to panel in the sides.
Old 03-04-2017, 07:43 AM   #745
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I may be in luck!
A good friend of mine who's a hell of a REAL fabricator is off this weekend and coming over right now to try n knock out that transition spot.
If I could do it over again, I'd just have gone straight up and not done a slope, just a flat panel to cover between high and low, like on a Wanderlodge.
Got some stuff to cut out and re-position, and some templates to make and cut.
This has been a huge learning experience for sure, I'm loving it.
I'm still feeling a little sick from that cold this week. Missed a ton of work.

Hoping to have the transition done, and by the end of the week I'm gona try to have the materials ready to panel in the sides.
Awesome.
The flat raise might be easier, but I like the transition. Especially the one on Mudda Earth's skoolie with that window.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:03 AM   #746
Bus Geek

While I find his work masterful, I'd not want the window there. I'm just more into simplicity. I'm not actually one of the people who needs tons of light. I keep my blinds closed all year at my house.

I'll be going with lots of windows, but they'll all be 20x30's to fit between the ribs. I don't feel like cutting any for bigger windows than that.

Gona order windows in a week or two. Planning on spending 500-1000. Doors will be another 600-1000. May be able to do the doors a bit cheaper, but I like to guesstimate on the high side.

A REALLY good sloped transition is hard to pull off. Mudda earth and Aaron's look the best of any I've seen.
My biggest fear, and something I'm gona ensure doesn't happen (at least hopefully), is having it end up looking all hokey like the one Chistopher saw at BGA.

I mean, I guess I COULD make do with whatever, but this is the one part I want to look good and I'm a bit worried.
I guess worst case scenario is I try my best, if I don't like it I can cut it all off and start over. If I have to I'll just throw money at it until I've appeased the bus gods.
Old 03-04-2017, 08:07 AM   #747
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins 24v
Rated Cap: 72 pax
Quote:
While I find his work masterful, I'd not want the window there. I'm just more into simplicity. I'm not actually one of the people who needs tons of light. I keep my blinds closed all year at my house.

I'll be going with lots of windows, but they'll all be 20x30's to fit between the ribs. I don't feel like cutting any for bigger windows than that.

Gona order windows in a week or two. Planning on spending 500-1000. Doors will be another 600-1000. May be able to do the doors a bit cheaper, but I like to guesstimate on the high side.

A REALLY good sloped transition is hard to pull off. Mudda earth and Aaron's look the best of any I've seen.
My biggest fear, and something I'm gona ensure doesn't happen (at least hopefully), is having it end up looking all hokey like the one Chistopher saw at BGA.

I mean, I guess I COULD make do with whatever, but this is the one part I want to look good and I'm a bit worried.
I guess worst case scenario is I try my best, if I don't like it I can cut it all off and start over. If I have to I'll just throw money at it until I've appeased the bus gods.
I won't be doing a raise any time soon. Lol
If I ever do one, it will be a full raise front to back. I can do straight sheet metal 😂

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Njsurf73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 08:19 AM   #748
Bus Geek

Our roof raise theme song lol

Old 03-04-2017, 08:26 AM   #749
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Our roof raise theme song lol

lol.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 09:30 AM   #750
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
EC you have a couple advantages.. one is that you only went up 10", and also you started behind the first skoolie window so you much more room to make the transition as opposed to the berry bus.. which the berry guy sued the original roof raise company ( yes that bus was a paid raise!!). The bus went to BGA to have their fab guy fix and complete, I haven't been back to BGA for awhile to see what they did with it.

But I think you will get a nice sloped transition and will look fine..

Also remember we are our own worst enemies.. dude you were freaked the skoolie weekend like OMG stoked freaked!..

Then the next weekend freaked when we took the sawzall to it, and see how it came out.. in my opinion there was no intregity lost in the bus, the raise went up nice n straight, your channels fit perfectly and you have a taller bus!. I see the same results coming with your transition and the skinning. You take the time to research it and learn and do it right and you also make friends with the right people.. and the results show in all the effort you take ..

Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017, 04:16 PM   #751
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
EC you have a couple advantages.. one is that you only went up 10", and also you started behind the first skoolie window so you much more room to make the transition as opposed to the berry bus.. which the berry guy sued the original roof raise company ( yes that bus was a paid raise!!). The bus went to BGA to have their fab guy fix and complete, I haven't been back to BGA for awhile to see what they did with it.

But I think you will get a nice sloped transition and will look fine..

Also remember we are our own worst enemies.. dude you were freaked the skoolie weekend like OMG stoked freaked!..

Then the next weekend freaked when we took the sawzall to it, and see how it came out.. in my opinion there was no intregity lost in the bus, the raise went up nice n straight, your channels fit perfectly and you have a taller bus!. I see the same results coming with your transition and the skinning. You take the time to research it and learn and do it right and you also make friends with the right people.. and the results show in all the effort you take ..

Christopher
Aw, thanks man!
You put that SO well!!

The first time I do anything I'm usually a nervous wreck. Just how I've always operated. I used to work with steel and welding and fab stuff every day. Three years later I barely remember any of it and have 1% of the tools and help I used to have available.
But you have it right about me and my strategy. I take my time, figure out what I can do, and try to utilize any friends, help, tools, stuff, etc... Slow and deliberate can be pretty good for some things.

We got the first piece of the transition cut out finally today after messing around with paper that was WAY too thick at first. A couple attempts at templates later and we have steel that fits pretty decent.
Should end up with something similar to MuddaEarth's only simpler without the window. Window is cool, but way outside my skill set and I am trying to keep things simple overall.
Not being a sheet metal worker at all, I think it will come out looking at least decent.

Thanks a lot, Chris, and everyone else. The kind words and encouragement really do go a long way.
Old 03-05-2017, 07:51 PM   #752
Bus Geek

so nice having all this new room up over our heads!

Old 03-05-2017, 07:54 PM   #753
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Looks good. Gratz

Sent from my BLU LIFE ONE X using Tapatalk
Old 03-05-2017, 07:56 PM   #754
Bus Geek

Got the first side of the transition stitched up today. My buddy Eddie is a GOOD welder!!

Old 03-05-2017, 07:57 PM   #755
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
Looks good. Gratz

Thanks
Still searching?
Old 03-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #756
Bus Geek

Dixie and Roxy LOVE fighting over SuperDaves old sock!!

Old 03-05-2017, 07:59 PM   #757
Bus Nut

Chassis: GMC or Chevrolet, I hope
Engine: gasser probably
Yup. Since I'm in no hurry. I keep on waiting for an unicorn I guess.

Old 03-05-2017, 08:21 PM   #758
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
looking really good, bet you can hardly notice your old bus anymore! those guys like your buddy eddie that work while having a cigarette in their mouth and smoking it at the same time are hardcore lol. they typically know how to get **** done.
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #759
Bus Geek

Yeah, that's very true!
I do the same thing!
Old 03-05-2017, 08:41 PM   #760
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by oricha1984 View Post
Yup. Since I'm in no hurry. I keep on waiting for an unicorn I guess.

Nothing wrong with that, man!