Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2019, 06:57 PM   #41
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Chassis: International (I think)
Engine: Dt466e w/ Allison md3060
Rated Cap: 84, 35000 gvwr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
With a Jake you just use it as needed to supplement the existing brakes system. Like I said, it fits onto the engine and is basically a compression relief that turns the motor into an air pump that will haul down most any load. They work.

Note that a lot of towns prohibit use in their city limits due to the noise they make. You have probably heard the sound before coming from an 18 wheeler and just didn't know what it was.
Oh no, I have heard the noise and knew it was a Jake break, but didn't really understand how they worked. And I have seen the signs to disable them. I would only use it on steep hills on the highway in Colorado. My problem is being an Arizona bus it's great for highway driving, but doesn't have the "self controll" I would like going down a long steep hill.

That being said, being a new driver to a large diesel I am probably way to afraid of the breaks overheating. Especially if we lower the weight considerably from the gvwr. And I am shifting into a lower gear while going down the mountians.

AaronTSchultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 07:09 PM   #42
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
I assume you will have a build thread if this isn't it. Keep the pics coming, never have too many ideas.

My build thread is called Buscapades. I don't have a ton of photos up there, mostly because I find the image upload interface here super unfriendly. I keep thinking I'll find a better way to organize and present the pics (like a blog or something other than Facebook), but I never seem to have the time and motivation together at the same time. lol

I'm taking lots of pics now so that when all the important stuff is covered up behind insulation and walls and whatnot, and something needs repaired or changed, I can go back and see what the structure looks like. And also so that when people on here ask things like "what does the wall cross-section of an IC look like?" I can be smug and post this:
Attached Thumbnails
20180731_160021.jpg  
FuzzWantsABus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:13 PM   #43
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Frieghtliner - 40ft overall
Engine: 210hp Mercedes Benz Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 person (originally)
give Charlie Kern a call on Federal Blvd in Denver, www.yellowchrome.com - (303) 931-1904, $10K sounds about right but inquiry for your rig.
05FrieghtlinerThomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2019, 08:41 PM   #44
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by o1marc View Post
$14k for a roof raise, OMG.
Too rich for my blood. Thats gotta be maximum possible retail price.

Anyone in FL wanting a roof raise on the cheap hit me up. I've only done one but it ain't rocket science.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2019, 02:56 PM   #45
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
I don't think that price is excessive although it is way outta my price range. I did mine for lots lots less than that and I will put the structural integrity of mine up against anyones'. Someone in a shop atmosphere has rent,employees, insurance out the wazoo regulations on hazmat disposal and many other expenses I can't even remember.As I said the price isn't excessive but it certainly exceeds any investment that you could even hope to realize any return on given what decently converted skoolies sell for. Gene