Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-25-2012, 11:04 PM   #41
Skoolie

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE
Engine: 3208TA Cat 250HP
Rated Cap: 84
Re: "Rufus"

New air governor took care of the air leak (good strong 80#'s now at front and rear brakes), then a complete fluids change. Found out I may have to replace some steering components, tie rod ends, bushings (quoted up to $1k) , ouch! Not sure if this is something I should attempt myself, steering and all?? Still working on the overheating problem, I will try fan switches first? then look at t-stats . (Any opinions welcome in this arena).It will run up to overheat (looks to be about 220-240 w/o my glasses ) then come down 20 degrees, then up and down again. Damn overheat buzzer drives ya crazy, but makes a point. Engine warms to about 150 degrees then smoke (exhaust) pretty much is not existent. I Still want to put the exhaust up the top down the road.

thommassey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2012, 09:53 AM   #42
Bus Crazy

cat engine should run at 180 or so. Have you checked you gauge/ sending unit against a known temp gauge or point and read temp reader from harbo freight?
you also should determine if your water pump and radiator are in good condition, and that the fan drive assembly which is normally on the driver's side and the clutch fan thing is working properly.
And is your turbo working properly?

As far as front end components, the easier things to change by yourself are the tie rod, drag link, etc ends. If I were going to pay for something, i would just pay for the bushings to be done if its a straight axle and they have to be reamed out. I have changed bushing myself of this type, but i had to buy the proper reamers, and it took me quite a bit of time to do them on a truck.
Old 02-28-2012, 02:37 AM   #43
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by chev49
...you also should determine if your water pump and radiator are in good condition, and that the fan drive assembly which is normally on the driver's side and the clutch fan thing is working properly.
And is your turbo working properly?
Little help here, in the meantime I will ck service manuals to see if I can find some info on doing these things... I have no idea how to ck water pump and turbo for proper operation.
Thanks chevy, you have been a big help and have saved me alot of grief (you know, head scratchin' )
Back to it ...
Old 04-05-2012, 02:33 PM   #44
Skoolie

Yesterday took her out for a real test run...
Bushings still need to be reworked, temp runs average at 180-190 at full throttle, not sure if that will change in summer ( I like the idea chev 49 gave me about the mister on the radiator during summer) ? It was about mid 50's when I took her out....
There is quite a big rpm decrease from third to fourth gear, almost 1k rpms, and I guess that is good. Ran at 65 mph for about ten miles straight and flat, no heat issues, ran about 2150 rpms+-, air was steady. The air ride seat seems to flatten out at the bottom (yeah I know, less donuts ) so I will read the manual on that, Otherwise pretty happy with mechanical operation. Going to layout tank and plumbing fixtures to see where placement will be, then start windows. Still changing floor plan...
Old 04-05-2012, 02:49 PM   #45
Bus Crazy

nothing like a good leg stretcher for a sitting bus!
Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 11:40 AM   #46
Skoolie

Maiden Voyage

Been awhile, life on life's terms you know!
Well.. finally got to put Rufus on a real road trip. Also got to feel the real joy of camping in a skoolie.
Lots of work ahead of me, but now I am extra motivated to bring her to life again with interior and exterior work, yeah... everything! Running like a top except for some front end work I will have to do, bushings? I think. Lots of catching up to do on older posts... really appreciate you all! Let summer begin!!
Attached Thumbnails
a.jpg  
Old 06-01-2012, 11:50 AM   #47
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth

Great to see you out on the road Looks like a great camping adventure
Old 06-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #48
Bus Geek

Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: 40 ft All American FE
Engine: 8.2LTA Fuel Pincher DD V8
Rated Cap: 89

Must have reviews & pictures on the campground!!!! We need to get a campground review section on here.
https://lorndavi.wordpress.com/blog/
https://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...ps0340a6ff.jpg
lornaschinske is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 12:14 AM   #49
Skoolie

More pics and info coming this week after computer upgrade
Old 06-18-2012, 10:14 AM   #50
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15

I heartily second Lorna's motion...a Campground Review section would be invaluable to everyone here. Even better if arranged by state or region, free & paid. I think we could build it over time into something really worthwhile.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #51
Skoolie

OK... After over 8,000 miles on the bike this summer (including 8 states, Sturgis and a whole lotta fun!) it is time to get back to my beloved bus. @Lorna, I was staying at a fairgrounds in Waitsburg,WA in the camping pictures, it was for a single event (PigRoast) so a review would be a moot point. BUT...a Campground Review section would be invaluable to everyone here, as was said. I would love to donate my info. While on my trek this summer, all the places I stayed/visited, I inquired about the acceptance of schoolies, and to my surprise, even w/ wood stoves, the vast majority of them were receptive to the idea.
I am looking forward to alot of progress on Rufus this fall. My travels have tweeked my thinking a little in design of my build, but I am glad to see my "Skoolie Family" is still here and going strong. Looking forward to catching up with some of my favorite threads First off I will be reviewing this summers threads, then off and working. Good to be back!!
Old 10-15-2012, 12:49 PM   #52
Skoolie

I am wanting to install this stove... QUESTION: if I install a 3" or so vent to the ouside floor of the bus, will it be significant enough to avoid using "inside " air going up the chimney pipe? Or does it have to be the same size vent as the pipe? Obviously this may not work because the heater is not designed for an inside air pipe... Any help appreciated. I will still have a propane htr installed in future, but would like to use this as main source while boondocking.
Old 10-23-2012, 08:17 AM   #53
Skoolie

Well yesterday did not turn out as expected... After gathering all the fittings and flashing for said "stove" installation, I began to wire wheel all the soft areas where caulking was loose,I found a five inch crack in the cast. I am aware that brazing can be done, but I think I am more dissapointed that I didn't discover the crack at time of purchase. So... today I either braze or look for a replacement stove. This one seems to have a lot of "factory" seams (all of them) that would have to be fire caulked. I have to admit, I bought in a hurry that day and now I have to decide to take the losss ( I would not sell this stove to someone in this condition) and get another, or repair it and never really be content with it... *** Pondering*** (another word for procrastination )
Old 10-23-2012, 11:01 AM   #54
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommassey
Well yesterday did not turn out as expected... After gathering all the fittings and flashing for said "stove" installation, I began to wire wheel all the soft areas where caulking was loose,I found a five inch crack in the cast. I am aware that brazing can be done, but I think I am more dissapointed that I didn't discover the crack at time of purchase. So... today I either braze or look for a replacement stove. This one seems to have a lot of "factory" seams (all of them) that would have to be fire caulked. I have to admit, I bought in a hurry that day and now I have to decide to take the losss ( I would not sell this stove to someone in this condition) and get another, or repair it and never really be content with it... *** Pondering*** (another word for procrastination )

Wouldn't try to repair it, you can get a brand new stove like that for a couple hundred dollars or less....as for the air intake, my stove is a mobile home unit, if you get a mobile home approved stove it has to suck it's fresh air through the floor, that's what makes it a mobile unit. For our little wood stove ($100 on craigslist w/ 6' of interior pipe) I had to cut a 15 square inch hole in the floor, no choice, they called for a 4.5 inch diameter hole. Sorry bout the bad buy, tough to see bad welds if you don't know exactly what you're looking for. As for the heat, you really can't beat the instant warmth of a wood stove, with added ventilation, moisture shouldn't be a problem...looking good, keep it up man, we're lookin forward to more pics
Old 10-24-2012, 06:52 PM   #55
Skoolie

Priced R-Tech (rigid) insulation today at the box stores:
1/2" 4x8 $7.25 R-3 White w/ foil back
3/4" 4x8 8.16 R4 " "
3/4" 4x8 12.35 R4 Pink
1" 4x8 10.88 R5 White no foil back
1" 4x8 16.67 R5 Pink no foil but had TandG ends.
1 1/2" 4x8 14.86 R7.5 White w/ foil back
2" 4x8 27.25 R9 " "

If they have the R-Value written on them, they cost more. The white ones (R-Tech)only written info was via the box store sign only. The Pink were a Pink panther product w/ r value written on the product.Did not price the closed cell, but apppeared almost twice the price at a glance. Did not see the blue type as some have pictured.
Old 11-19-2012, 07:50 PM   #56
Skoolie

Afternoon's work, pulling up old floor, can't post pics here so will drop them in "the bucket" ... what is the board attachment quota?
Old 12-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #57
Skoolie

After working on old floor removal, I am convinced they did not want the floor to come up ...

I am using Pink Panther 3/4" R-4 rigid foam underlayment and 5/8" Ply on top, wood floor to follow that.. I will use 5/8 cement-board under stove, with ceramic tile (bought last fall on clearance).

Still need to re-route rear radiator heater. Was thinking about mounting it in the foot-board of bed box, but ... may create circulation issues unless I install large intake vents for heater. Problem with that? Bed box will house potable tank on one side and mechanical on the other.

The "rubber" sealer BB used on the perimeter of the original floor is extremely pliable... wish I knew what it was, it works great for keeping the floor edges sealed and allowing flexibility. Used heat gun to remove the vast majority of it. Used metallic tape to seal off any existing screw/nail holes on the steel floor prior to Pink foam.

Old 01-09-2013, 10:28 AM   #58
Skoolie

Finished floor ... will post pics later. Now to chimney install. Gonna copy your method eyedeal.ink except I am going to use Silicone 1600* flexible roof jack. Not sure how you attached the chimney box to the ceiling, but I think I will use backing of some kind between the ceiling and roof, then tie to that...non-flammable, of course...
Old 01-10-2013, 12:08 AM   #59
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT360
Rated Cap: 72

Quote:
Originally Posted by thommassey
Finished floor ... will post pics later. Now to chimney install. Gonna copy your method eyedeal.ink except I am going to use Silicone 1600* flexible roof jack. Not sure how you attached the chimney box to the ceiling, but I think I will use backing of some kind between the ceiling and roof, then tie to that...non-flammable, of course...
Lookin' great! I've been out for a bit, got a disc replaced in my neck Dec 12th, no pain, once I'm healed I'll be hittin' it hard. Anyway, the edge of the box doesn't get hot really, even after a days worth of fire it stays cool enough to touch, about as hot as the bus ceiling gets. What i did was cut 2x2 spacers, tacked 1/4 inch (lath board?) to make 1-3/4" (the thickness of the ceiling gap), wrapped that in metal tape, inserted it into the ceiling space and shot two screws in to hold them. At this point I have a framed opening that I stick the box up into, it's slightly snug because I've measured twice and all that good stuff and I got lucky

Using a level on the edge of the ceiling box from up on the roof I marked the edges of the box at the roof then I drove six screws into the metal ceiling supports followed by six more into the 2x2's. At this point I have a box with a hole sticking into the bus, face level at ~2" on one side and ~4" on the other and a large square opening sticking up out of my roof ~12" high? (I don't remember dimensions, it's been a while). It is supported and not going anywhere. I don't really care how much is sticking in as long as it's esthetically pleasing and level.

The next thing I did was cut my box at the corners down to the roof so the walls could be bent over; curved sides gotta be cut into smaller pieces so they lay flat. I put high temp silicone under these tabs and screwed them down close to the edge of the opening. It doesn't look pretty at this point and there may be a more elegant way to do it but it works. This is followed by your exterior pipe and flashing. Flashing got five laps of high temp silicone and one screw in each hole starting in the middle and alternating sides towards the top and bottom (predrilled at every 1" ?), then siliconed all screws and exterior seam. Once this is in, add the storm collar (silicone and three screws to hold it down) and chimney cap. Good luck my friend.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:58 AM   #60
Skoolie

Sounds like a Big time saver on the box install, the bent tabs are a great idea, plus less cutting ! Will keep you posted on results... Thanks EyeDeal!