Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-14-2020, 11:37 PM   #341
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
musigenesis,
I just finished reading your whole thread. Nice work on the rust removal and based on the sellers pics it is crazy that you had that much to do.
I like your placement of the step tub and might need to do something similar.

Mountain Yawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 07:49 AM   #342
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Yawp View Post
musigenesis,
I just finished reading your whole thread. Nice work on the rust removal and based on the sellers pics it is crazy that you had that much to do.
I like your placement of the step tub and might need to do something similar.
Thanks! Looking over those pics again, I'm a little more accepting of the version of myself from a year ago buying this thing. I never posted the eBay link here or on reddit because I was afraid of somebody poaching it, but I'm not sure if anybody would have pointed out the specific problems with it, other than to say never buy a bus from NY (which is sound advice, of course). From what I know now, buses without any pics of the underside are guaranteed to be rusty as hell.

I was very fortunate in one sense. I bought the bus on impulse after getting laid off from my previous job. I got a severance (first time that's ever happened to me - usually the severance is "**** you, no, **** you!") which included one final check for six grand that I still have no idea what it was for, so I plunked it all down as the max bid on this bus. Fortunately the bidding stopped at $3600, which would have been a decent price for an un-rusted version. Paying $6000 for this would have been really really bad.

I hope my tub works out. I'm somewhat fearful of cutting it and gluing it back together, but it wasn't too expensive if I screw it up (about $150).
Old 01-15-2020, 10:50 PM   #343
Skoolie

Year: 1998
Engine: 8.3 Cummins
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
I hope my tub works out. I'm somewhat fearful of cutting it and gluing it back together, but it wasn't too expensive if I screw it up (about $150).
I have not messed around with cutting and gluing something like that, but I would think no matter how perfectly you do the job, you will always be able to see and feel the new seam. If you use extra material of some kind under the seam, then you should at least be able to make it watertight.
Mountain Yawp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 10:59 PM   #344
Bus Geek

Yeah, I have no illusions about this looking perfect or anything. The way I'll have this set up most of the time, the seam will be hidden by the shower curtain anyway.
Old 01-16-2020, 08:13 AM   #345
Bus Geek

Progress pics

Click image for larger version

Name:	leftfront.png
Views:	23
Size:	636.5 KB
ID:	40805

Name:	IMG_0586.png
Views:	21
Size:	611.7 KB
ID:	40806
Old 01-16-2020, 10:40 AM   #346
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Harbor Freight has welding magnets and "fender clamps" for holding a metal patch flush with the bus. I'm a big an of the magnets as they also serve (a bit) as a heat sink.

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 03:53 PM   #347
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Yawp View Post
I have not messed around with cutting and gluing something like that, but I would think no matter how perfectly you do the job, you will always be able to see and feel the new seam. If you use extra material of some kind under the seam, then you should at least be able to make it watertight.

That's why I asked earlier if he was going to weld or glue. If it was a weldable thermoplastic (hot air welding or use a electric soldering gun to melt/smear/spread) A weld would be easier to seal & reinforce (use the cutoff/drop to reinforce on the back and to make same material filler rods) and could be shaped/re-shaped to look like a tread/ridge, just don't get it too hot (dis-colors and/or warps) He could practice on the scrap/drop and weld from the back. My plastic welds always look like crap, but they sometimes seem stronger than glue. As far as I know you can't weld thermoset plastics.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:42 PM   #348
Bus Geek

Additional beams for the side exit door floor gap

The floor was still bouncy and warped by the side door, so I bolted in two additional angle-steel stiffeners on the underside, and it's flat and solid now. For the second from the left, I also have a strip of 14ga on top of the floor as a sort of long washer.

Name:	IMG_0765.png
Views:	12
Size:	570.4 KB
ID:	40822

Name:	IMG_0766.png
Views:	13
Size:	506.8 KB
ID:	40823

Name:	IMG_0767.png
Views:	12
Size:	512.1 KB
ID:	40824

Name:	IMG_0768.png
Views:	14
Size:	498.4 KB
ID:	40825
Old 01-16-2020, 10:01 PM   #349
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
That's why I asked earlier if he was going to weld or glue. If it was a weldable thermoplastic (hot air welding or use a electric soldering gun to melt/smear/spread) A weld would be easier to seal & reinforce (use the cutoff/drop to reinforce on the back and to make same material filler rods) and could be shaped/re-shaped to look like a tread/ridge, just don't get it too hot (dis-colors and/or warps) He could practice on the scrap/drop and weld from the back. My plastic welds always look like crap, but they sometimes seem stronger than glue. As far as I know you can't weld thermoset plastics.
After watching a single Youtube video on welding ABS plastic, I am now an expert. I'm going to experiment with the cutout block as you say, and maybe put my tub back together that way. The one I watched reinforced the weld with little pieces of copper wire, which I may try. He also made a sort of ABS "mud" by dissolving Legos in methyl ethyl ketone. He ended up with a perfectly smooth repair.

Old 01-17-2020, 01:46 AM   #350
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
After watching a single Youtube video on welding ABS plastic, I am now an expert. I'm going to experiment with the cutout block as you say, and maybe put my tub back together that way. The one I watched reinforced the weld with little pieces of copper wire, which I may try. He also made a sort of ABS "mud" by dissolving Legos in methyl ethyl ketone. He ended up with a perfectly smooth repair.

careful with the MEK, read the MSDS. Some places are selling substitute MEK today because of its problems.

You know that he is going to paint that repair. While you are practicing on your scrap, since you have plenty of filler material to dissolve in the MEK, you might try sanding a piece smooth and then buffing it to see if you can blend it in so that painting is not necessary.

I experimented with making custom shaped copper tips for my soldering gun but it was a lot of work to get them to fit into the gun and I backed off because I was in a hurry. It works but be ready yo invest some fab time or buy a better soldering iron. mine was an ancient piece of dodo. My welds looked bad. Did not know about the MEK trick.

Since you have a planned "break" maybe you can grind/file a bevel into the plastic to make the weld easier, smoother, and stronger. Looking forward to seeing your results and any experiments.

here's another vid was on the same page - different technique & tips

different material but shows real plastic welding irons and 2 different tips with different techniques & tips

kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 05:03 PM   #351
Bus Geek

First of four chassis clips

The ingredients:

Name:	IMG_0769.png
Views:	8
Size:	589.4 KB
ID:	40889

Welded together and smoothed the two end surfaces that will be pressed up against my crossbar and the chassis rails.

Name:	IMG_0770.png
Views:	10
Size:	508.4 KB
ID:	40890

On the other three, I'm not going to do these spots at the base of the threading. They're not necessary for anything and I'm going to need to grind these a little. This is why before doing a bunch of new items of some type I do one all the way through to make sure I'm doing them the right way.

Name:	IMG_0771.png
Views:	7
Size:	494.7 KB
ID:	40891
Old 01-20-2020, 02:26 AM   #352
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
There is something intrinsically rewarding making a bracket (or clip in your case) that does as it needs to do. Starting from basic flat stock and ending up with a functional part. Makes me smile every ime I do it and every timeI see others do it.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 06:48 AM   #353
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
definitely something satisfying about making brackets and pieces.. growing up in a house with lathe, drill press, bender, torches, saws and the like.. I remember as a teen.. "Dad the bushing in my alternator bracket disintegrated".. Dad was like "Lets just make you a new one".. and that was the day I learned how to use the lathe..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:13 AM   #354
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
definitely something satisfying about making brackets and pieces.. growing up in a house with lathe, drill press, bender, torches, saws and the like.. I remember as a teen.. "Dad the bushing in my alternator bracket disintegrated".. Dad was like "Lets just make you a new one".. and that was the day I learned how to use the lathe..
I agree.... Makes me feel like other kids missed out that didn't grow up learning things like that and access to tools like you mentioned. I am blessed to have a dad like you do!

And good looking bracket btw!
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 09:02 PM   #355
Bus Geek

Chassis clips done

The bolts on my first attempt at a clip got slightly misaligned when I just dropped them in the holes and tried to tack them, so I socked them in with nuts this time before welding the heads.

Name:	IMG_0772.png
Size:	575.5 KB
ID:	40907

Name:	IMG_0773.png
Views:	5
Size:	518.3 KB
ID:	40908

Spot-welded the heads only on the underside this time.

Name:	IMG_0774.png
Views:	4
Size:	570.3 KB
ID:	40909

Name:	IMG_0775.png
Views:	11
Size:	526.8 KB
ID:	40910

Ground and polished the two mating surfaces on each clip. Making steel shiny and smooth is really fun.

Name:	IMG_0776.png
Views:	16
Size:	539.7 KB
ID:	40911

Since it's so cold now, I primed these in my basement. Mildly stinky. Tomorrow it will be barely warm enough for me to paint them outside, then the yellow will take at least two days to dry. Hopefully Thursday I'll be able to install these on the bus.
Old 01-21-2020, 01:22 AM   #356
Bus Geek

Quote:
The bolts on my first attempt at a clip got slightly misaligned when I just dropped them in the holes and tried to tack them, so I socked them in with nuts this time before welding the heads.

Attachment 40907

Attachment 40908

Spot-welded the heads only on the underside this time.

Attachment 40909

Attachment 40910

Ground and polished the two mating surfaces on each clip. Making steel shiny and smooth is really fun.

Attachment 40911

Since it's so cold now, I primed these in my basement. Mildly stinky. Tomorrow it will be barely warm enough for me to paint them outside, then the yellow will take at least two days to dry. Hopefully Thursday I'll be able to install these on the bus.
Nice work, real nice! Has anyone else been having problems with "ClousFlare checking your browser" on this site???
Old 01-21-2020, 05:20 AM   #357
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Nice work, real nice! Has anyone else been having problems with "ClousFlare checking your browser" on this site???
Thanks! Yeah, I'm seeing the Cloudflare browser checks from time to time.
Old 01-21-2020, 03:12 PM   #358
Bus Geek

Sunken subfloor experiment

I still need to attach my three middle tray pieces to the angle steel beds they're sitting in, so this was an experiment in how I'm going to do that.

Name:	IMG_0777.png
Size:	616.9 KB
ID:	40929

1/4-20 carriage bolts in 3/8 holes welded from above. I need to practice this a lot more so I don't leave so much extra steel to grind away.

Name:	IMG_0778.png
Views:	9
Size:	552.9 KB
ID:	40930

Name:	IMG_0779.png
Views:	6
Size:	588.4 KB
ID:	40931

14ga sheet will then be nutted down. I needed two washers here for each because of the crappy weld job. The bolts here are extra-long because I'm going to screw on dowels that will go through the 2" XPS foam and attach to the plywood.

Name:	IMG_0780.png
Size:	585.4 KB
ID:	40932

The sheet isn't quite flush with the angle steel (crappy welding again), but when I install these for real there will be a bead of seam sealer all around so it won't matter.

Name:	IMG_0781.png
Size:	553.4 KB
ID:	40933

Drilled out 1.25" diameter holes in the XPS above the bolts, and now screwing in 1 5/8" pieces of 1.25" dowel (pre-drilled on the bottom to go into the carriage bolts). To do this I drilled a couple of small notch holes in the top and I'm using the wrench from one of my angle grinders. It works OK but I'm going to make a special tool to do this.

Name:	IMG_0782.png
Views:	6
Size:	532.1 KB
ID:	40934

Dowel is about 1/8" short of 2" here so that I get good compression from the plywood.

Name:	IMG_0783.png
Size:	582.2 KB
ID:	40935

Plywood layer goes on top and screws down into the dowels.

Name:	IMG_0784.png
Size:	594.6 KB
ID:	40936

Name:	IMG_0785.png
Size:	593.0 KB
ID:	40937

Plywood stops 2" short of the edge. My goal here is to have the subfloor be as much insulation and as little wood as possible, especially in the corners like this.

Name:	IMG_0786.png
Size:	591.7 KB
ID:	40938
Old 01-21-2020, 11:21 PM   #359
Bus Geek

All that to keep from adding a thermal bridge?
Old 01-21-2020, 11:32 PM   #360
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
All that to keep from adding a thermal bridge?
Well, mostly this is a way of attaching the sheet metal to the angle steel, but since I also want to have a mechanical connection between the plywood and the steel bottom, I'm just taking advantage of the ends of these carriage bolts already sticking up. The dowel thing is actually pretty easy to do - the hard part of this is welding in the carriage bolts, which I would have to do either way.

I did conceive of this in terms of minimizing thermal bridging, but if it presented serious difficulties I would abandon it and just use a regular piece of wood.

Tags
build thread