Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2020, 07:01 AM   #761
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frochevy View Post
I had looked at some transit seats. I ended up going with shuttle bus seats of some sort with built belts as well. It's what I could find at the time. I kind of wish mine had the quick remove feature though!!
This seat is really heavy and awkward to move, so I don't see myself ever using the quick-remove feature. It will become like most furniture in every place I've ever lived: storage.

Old 04-22-2020, 09:07 AM   #762
Bus Geek

Just had my parents try out the seat. It is utterly unusable for two adults, even with my mom (who is a tiny person) in the window seat and a two-inch gap between the seat and the wall (and I had intended to mount it flush with the wall). I don't think two people could sit 10 minutes in the seat together, let alone survive a long-distance trip.

Gonna have to rethink putting this in my bus.
Old 04-22-2020, 03:53 PM   #763
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Just had my parents try out the seat. It is utterly unusable for two adults, even with my mom (who is a tiny person) in the window seat and a two-inch gap between the seat and the wall (and I had intended to mount it flush with the wall). I don't think two people could sit 10 minutes in the seat together, let alone survive a long-distance trip.

Gonna have to rethink putting this in my bus.
It was nice to be able to have them test it out for you. So the pseudo-mount on the plywood was very helpful.

We have trial fit additions in the past that have resulted in our rejection of the idea. That's what trial fitting is all about.
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2020, 04:13 PM   #764
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
I'm glad I went with the seats I did now after your trial. I don't think I'll need to remove mine for anything once my final flooring is in. I am contemplating having them recovered though since my weld blanket didn't do its job... Or I should have removed the seats sooner than I did!
Old 04-22-2020, 04:25 PM   #765
Bus Geek

Quote:
I'm glad I went with the seats I did now after your trial. I don't think I'll need to remove mine for anything once my final flooring is in. I am contemplating having them recovered though since my weld blanket didn't do its job... Or I should have removed the seats sooner than I did!
Ha ha, always happy to help out with the reverse advice! At least I know to stop recommending these as a viable solution to the seating problem.

I think the biggest advantage of my removable seat is that I'll be able to remove it after I bolt in the brackets and then not totally trash the seat during the rest of my build (although it will still be at risk back in my shed).
Old 04-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #766
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
It was nice to be able to have them test it out for you. So the pseudo-mount on the plywood was very helpful.

We have trial fit additions in the past that have resulted in our rejection of the idea. That's what trial fitting is all about.
I just went looking for a single one of these - it's still just 16" wide so not any improvement for the single rider, but at least it would give up the fiction of having a second rider and it would make my layout work a lot better. Couldn't find one for less than $450 with shipping. Guess I'm sticking with my "double".

Since it will just be bolted in, it will be easy to get rid of it if it doesn't work out. If I build my bulkhead wall right in back of it, though, that will kind of constrain me as far as what other kind of seat I can put in there.
Old 04-22-2020, 08:54 PM   #767
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:

That’s exactly how I did all my cabinetry. Trial fitted every damn thing. That’s why it takes me so long.
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 08:48 AM   #768
Bus Nut

Year: 2007
Chassis: Collins
Engine: 6.6L LMM Duramax
Quote:
Ha ha, always happy to help out with the reverse advice! At least I know to stop recommending these as a viable solution to the seating problem.

I think the biggest advantage of my removable seat is that I'll be able to remove it after I bolt in the brackets and then not totally trash the seat during the rest of my build (although it will still be at risk back in my shed).
Good call! Don't do like I did and burn through your weld blanket and ruin seat top!! I told my wife a car seat will cover it up! Lol
Attached Thumbnails
20200308_132538.jpg  
Frochevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 04:36 PM   #769
Bus Geek

Happy New Year's!

Renewed my VT registration and got the sticker today. It was optimistic of me to only get it for one year in the first place. Some (if not most) of you will appreciate how much this pained me to do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1239.png
Views:	6
Size:	524.3 KB
ID:	43674

Name:	IMG_1240.png
Views:	7
Size:	502.4 KB
ID:	43675

New footrest for the driver's seat. I'll be attaching this with the usual welded-on bolts so I can remove it easily and clean underneath, since my minimal subfloor arrangement here is going to collect schmoo for sure.

Name:	IMG_1241.png
Views:	15
Size:	528.8 KB
ID:	43676
Old 04-23-2020, 05:05 PM   #770
Bus Geek

I can not tell by the picture if you have supports under the pedal portion of your foot support.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #771
Bus Geek

Quote:
I can not tell by the picture if you have supports under the pedal portion of your foot support.
The footrest thing sticks over the end of the pedestal about 2" or so, so it's solid underfoot even just resting there like it is. I'll weld four bolts to the pedestal to hold it in place permanently.

I cut the new footrest to match the layout of the original single piece of plywood that was under the seat. The original footrest part also had a piece of sheet metal screwed on to continue the footrest to the metal floor, but I'm not putting that bit back in.
Old 04-23-2020, 05:53 PM   #772
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
While the Transport seat fail is a bummer, better now than later...

If you want long haul passenger seats for near the driver while on the road --
Seats from the pick n' pull junkyards are only $30 to $50 for bucket seats anywhere I've been. You've got some fab skilz now so you can consider more options.
Chrysler Sebring convertibles for example are super comphy hwy cruiser seats with built in shoulder belts, heated, leather, fully reclining and plentiful...
You'll need to build a mount but that will provide storage under it too.

Probably won't work for you but I'm now thinking about some of the mini-van seats that completely fold away into the floor or have recessed brackets in the floor for complete removal...

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2020, 11:41 PM   #773
Bus Geek

Like the seats in our Chrysler Caravan? That would be cool ... and I am sure there are a few in junk yards.
Old 04-24-2020, 09:15 AM   #774
Bus Nut

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 32 Passenger
Quote:
Good call! Don't do like I did and burn through your weld blanket and ruin seat top!! I told my wife a car seat will cover it up! Lol
Damn dude !!!
Phatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 10:13 AM   #775
Bus Crazy

Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Quote:
Like the seats in our Chrysler Caravan? That would be cool ... and I am sure there are a few in junk yards.
Do yours fold into the floor or remove completely? And how comphy for road trips are they?

The Murder Bus
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2020, 04:30 PM   #776
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by banman View Post
Do yours fold into the floor or remove completely? And how comphy for road trips are they?
Oh, our van is a 2014 Dodge Grand Caravan ... I misspoke in my earlier post. They are all the same really ... Dodge, Plymouth, Chrysler minivans.

Our seats fold into the floor ... and are called Sto-n-Go seats. they are well madde and so simple to use. Chrysler came out with the Sto-N-Go seats in 2005. The seats are firm, but comfortable. My wife has ridden in the captain seats (the middle seats are a single captain seat) on a 5 hour journey (one way) and said it was comfortable.

We also had a 1995 Plymouth Grand Voyager that had the type that needed to be removed. If you like a little workout and have a place to put the seat when not in use, that works too. They are bulky and easiest to move by two people. The seats are both bench style seats and they are indeed comfortable. I believe that captain seats were available as well.

The Honda Odyssey started stowable seats in their third seat in 1995. They so not have second-row stowable seats.
Old 05-01-2020, 04:22 PM   #777
Bus Geek

I read an article recently about patching sheet metal that suggested the best way is to plug-weld the patch to hold it mechanically and rely on seam sealer to make it watertight. So I cut these patches and drilled plug holes all around. I was going to weld them up, but my generator has taken to flooding the carburetor whenever I refill the gas tank. It starts up and runs for a minute after refueling, but then chugs to a stop and won't restart. It's taking a couple of days before I can restart it after this, not sure what I'm doing wrong in the refilling.

Name:	IMG_1247.png
Views:	16
Size:	615.9 KB
ID:	43964

Name:	IMG_1246.png
Views:	18
Size:	612.4 KB
ID:	43965
Old 05-02-2020, 02:22 AM   #778
Bus Geek

Quote:
I read an article recently about patching sheet metal that suggested the best way is to plug-weld the patch to hold it mechanically and rely on seam sealer to make it watertight. So I cut these patches and drilled plug holes all around. I was going to weld them up, but my generator has taken to flooding the carburetor whenever I refill the gas tank. It starts up and runs for a minute after refueling, but then chugs to a stop and won't restart. It's taking a couple of days before I can restart it after this, not sure what I'm doing wrong in the refilling.

Attachment 43964

Attachment 43965
It will be interesting to see how well the plug-welds work on rusty metal.
Old 05-02-2020, 12:35 PM   #779
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
musigenius.
are you running your generator completely out of gas before re-fill?
do you have a filter between the tank and carburetor?
if you are letting it run completely out of fuel before refill then on refill you could be stirring up the sediment in the tank and then clogging the filter or even worse the carburetor.
what brand of genny is it
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2020, 01:34 PM   #780
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger bus 223 View Post
musigenius.
are you running your generator completely out of gas before re-fill?
do you have a filter between the tank and carburetor?
if you are letting it run completely out of fuel before refill then on refill you could be stirring up the sediment in the tank and then clogging the filter or even worse the carburetor.
what brand of genny is it
I'm not letting it run completely out of gas before refilling - there's still a bit in the bottom of the tank. I don't know if there's a filter between the tank and the carburetor, I bought it on Craigslist a year ago and it's been running fine the whole year, except for this recent problem.

It's a Craftsman 2400 like this one: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sears-Craft...0/292954359152

Tags
build thread