Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2020, 08:33 PM   #1221
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Hey, now ... my bus is Gruyere, thank you very much.

Would that be grated Gruyere? or just cut into blocks for the floor? Sorry, I looked it up and Gruyere can be called Swiss cheese if it is made in Switzerland. I didn't realize...

kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 12:37 AM   #1222
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas Built Bus
Chassis: Freightliner FS65
Engine: Caterpillar 3126E Diesel
Rated Cap: 71 Passenger- 30,000 lbs.
Quote:
I like the 5-spoke one ... it looks like a door/vault mechanism.

Congratulations on the new parking spot, sorry it comes with a raise in rent!
Native is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2020, 04:06 AM   #1223
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
I like the 5-spoke one ... it looks like a door/vault mechanism.

Congratulations on the new parking spot, sorry it comes with a raise in rent!
Funny thing is: yesterday apparently the couple that actually rents that spot for their RV showed up after being gone since April and was all pissed off that my bus was in the way. The owner was pissed at me too until I pointed out the fallen tree on my spot, and then she was like "oh, I see".

$100/mo is not really that bad at all. I was afraid she was going a lot higher than that.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:15 AM   #1224
Bus Geek

Does this mean you are going to move it to another space in the lot?
Old 08-09-2020, 05:25 AM   #1225
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Native View Post
Does this mean you are going to move it to another space in the lot?
I dunno. Theoretically she'll have the tree cut down and removed so I can go back to my original spot, but it took her three months to get around to raising my rent, so I imagine the tree removal is not going to be immediate.
Old 08-09-2020, 09:02 AM   #1226
Bus Nut

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: CE200
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
Sounds like it might work. I would leak test it first. If you can remove the window, you might get better clues. If it is installed properly and any rubber seals are in good shape it shouldn't leak. Do not use silicone caulk if at all possible. It doesn't stick well and will fool you
"Do not use silicone caulk . . . ." What type of caulk would you recommend? I've wondered about this and noted that many folks have used and recommend silicone caulk. My thoughts are that caulk on a vehicle has to be able to move constantly with the movement of the vehicle's body, hopefully for the life of the vehicle. I'm sure that means movement in EVERY direction, something that wouldn't normally happen with a building for which most caulks are designed.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:06 AM   #1227
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post
"Do not use silicone caulk . . . ." What type of caulk would you recommend? I've wondered about this and noted that many folks have used and recommend silicone caulk. My thoughts are that caulk on a vehicle has to be able to move constantly with the movement of the vehicle's body, hopefully for the life of the vehicle. I'm sure that means movement in EVERY direction, something that wouldn't normally happen with a building for which most caulks are designed.
Automotive seam sealer (like Dynatron-550) is specifically designed to waterproof body seams in vehicles, and it can be painted over (neither is true for silicon caulk).
Old 08-09-2020, 11:07 AM   #1228
Bus Crazy

Year: 1999
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC1000 HandyBus
Engine: 5.9L 24V-L6 Cummins ISB
Rated Cap: 26 foot
A body repair guy (at a pro shop) told me never use silicone against metal body panels. It actually absorbs water. That is why your silicone sealant around your bathtub turns black with mold. That is why you often can't just clean off the mold - it is inside the silicone (spray it with hydrogen peroxide and let it sit there - spray it after every shower - and the mold will die).

Anyway silicone against metal body panels can actually cause them to rust. Yea, it sheds the bulk of the water - stops the drips.

Urethane is what I was told to use. Never tried the Dynatron people here say to use. I've been using 3M "Windo-Weld" fast acting urethane. I recommend it. No, I don't work for them.
Mountain Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 12:30 PM   #1229
Bus Geek

Nothing to do with skoolies, but damn do I want this toy: https://philadelphia.craigslist.org/...170924962.html.
Old 08-09-2020, 12:42 PM   #1230
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
Urethane is what I was told to use. Never tried the Dynatron people here say to use. I've been using 3M "Windo-Weld" fast acting urethane. I recommend it. No, I don't work for them.
Huh, I sort of figured all the 3M sealers were minor variations on the same basic stuff, but it seems not (pun intended). This is the product doc for Window-Weld (Section 3 has the ingredients) and this is the product doc for Dynatron-550 (also Section 3). Seems the 'tron isn't urethane at all, it's mostly limestone ... uh, naturally.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:23 PM   #1231
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldyeller View Post

I was introduced to polyurethane caulk by a skyscraper window installer, skyscrapers both sway and have a lot of expansion issues to deal with. They also can't leak or have their windows popping out

I had to warranty my work so I used a single part urethane caulk (multy parts are a real pain.) Available in colors to sort of blend in with paint, but it can be painted over anyway after curing. Urethane is super adhesive, stays a rubbery soft, and is elastic. It adheres to most anything and is hell to remove once cured. You can easily make expansion joints out of it and most brands could fill cracks up to 3/8 of an inch. Bigger cracks than that with reinforcing fabrics, but I would do something different.

Silicone has to have super clean surfaces to stick to and even then it is very picky. It fools you into thinking that it is working and then a year later it peels off. Silicone is also slippery. The best use that I found for silicone is on high, high heat applications like caulking gas exhaust vents.

I have been out of the construction trades long enough that tech could have produced something better and not all brands are created equal, but If I didn't have time to do proper research and I had to have something today I would pick most any urethane over silicone. I would first make absolutely sure that I wanted to caulk it. Read the instructions before purchase.

Silicone is good at making compression gaskets though, which may fool a mechanic into thinking it would make a good caulk. I also think that the word "silicon" is a good marketing term that automatically conjures up images of high tech for many people because of its use in electronics, the medical industry (inert, doesn't interact biologically), and makes good slippery wax/polish finishes. Nothing that I am aware of sticks well to silicon, especially paint.
Old 08-09-2020, 08:35 PM   #1232
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Huh, I sort of figured all the 3M sealers were minor variations on the same basic stuff, but it seems not (pun intended). This is the product doc for Window-Weld (Section 3 has the ingredients) and this is the product doc for Dynatron-550 (also Section 3). Seems the 'tron isn't urethane at all, it's mostly limestone ... uh, naturally.

I almost put a smarty pants comment here..... but I couldn't think of one
Old 08-09-2020, 11:53 PM   #1233
Bus Geek

Quote:
I have been using Loctite PL Window Door & Siding polyurethane sealant on our bus. Works well. It used to be sold as PL-S40. I purchase them at Home Depot. I do like that it is paintable and expands/contracts with the material to which it is applied.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:02 AM   #1234
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
here is one of the big issues with the "shingling" or "channeling" approach in a bus.. take your bus out and drive it.. open the driver window like many of you will do. those front mirrors will create and instant vacuum against your bus.. sometimes you can feel it in your ears even.. now if there is water in the rain as you drive being channeled down.. and there is a little hole? its now a vacuum cleaner hose of sorts thats gonna suck it right in. houses arent built to be driven on the highway or parked unlevel where water can run in every direction...

while channeling helps.. you need to think of keeping it dry while driving also.. or never drive in the rain..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 09:24 AM   #1235
Bus Nut

Coachwork: IC
Engine: T444e
Rated Cap: 27,500
Quote:
Automotive seam sealer (like Dynatron-550) is specifically designed to waterproof body seams in vehicles, and it can be painted over (neither is true for silicon caulk).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountain Gnome View Post
A body repair guy (at a pro shop) told me never use silicone against metal body panels. It actually absorbs water. That is why your silicone sealant around your bathtub turns black with mold. That is why you often can't just clean off the mold - it is inside the silicone (spray it with hydrogen peroxide and let it sit there - spray it after every shower - and the mold will die).

Anyway silicone against metal body panels can actually cause them to rust. Yea, it sheds the bulk of the water - stops the drips.

I'll do some reading and make a decision.

A strike against silicone is my experience as a home owner resealing house windows and being able to peel old silicone right off a window frame with little or no effort. That's in a situation in which the window and frame were stationary, not twisting and flexing in a vehicle going down the road at 60 mph (OK, I'm old and drive slow )

Given my rate of progress and how fast the days are flying by I may have to postpone resealing my windows until I drive the bus down to Daytona Beach in late October.
Oldyeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 10:52 AM   #1236
Almost There

Quote:
Great lead! I just got two light fixtures.

Now I just need a bus.
Caplansail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:26 PM   #1237
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
here is one of the big issues with the "shingling" or "channeling" approach in a bus.. take your bus out and drive it.. open the driver window like many of you will do. those front mirrors will create and instant vacuum against your bus.. sometimes you can feel it in your ears even.. now if there is water in the rain as you drive being channeled down.. and there is a little hole? its now a vacuum cleaner hose of sorts thats gonna suck it right in. houses arent built to be driven on the highway or parked unlevel where water can run in every direction...

while channeling helps.. you need to think of keeping it dry while driving also.. or never drive in the rain..

I don't get your point. Many rain storms have high winds, the structure doesn't have to move to be subject to wind problems, and if you leave the windows open you should expect some water to get in. If weep holes are part of the design they should drain any water that intrudes if they are not plugged/covered up. On some older cars if you look inside the door shell you will see weep holes in the very bottom to allow the water that gets past their crappy window seals to drain out.

My ThomasBuilt bus uses a small gutter all down the edge of the roof to help divert/channel water away from the windows so that less water drains down the window face. Many older vehicles have gutters over the doors.

The Bluebirds that I have seen use a drip edge that is pushed/louvered out from the edge of the roof line to divert/channel the water away from the windows.

My point here is that standard roofing practices are used extensively in vehicle designs to prevent/minimize leaking and the associated damage. They are not obvious, by design, but if we are going to be redesigning/building the vehicles then we should be cognizant of what we are doing and that caulk can cause as many if not more problems than it cures.

It is a fact of nature that water will go downhill until it can't. At that point it will start destroying stuff, if it can, as it seeks a way to continue its journey.....LOL ...BS
Old 08-10-2020, 06:27 PM   #1238
Bus Geek

Primed both sides of my bulkhead wall. Is there any task more annoying than painting expanded steel sheet with a brush? I don't think so. I really should have painted these before I installed them, but I figured I would have to weld additional stuff on them.

Not doing the door yet because I am going to have to weld more on it to attach my valve wheels.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1947.png
Views:	7
Size:	609.1 KB
ID:	47846

Name:	IMG_1948.png
Size:	550.7 KB
ID:	47847

More lanternflies, these are just the ones on the tiny tree next to my bus door. This tree is dying as soon as I can remember to take a saw that can reach through chain link fence over there. Otherwise it's gas and a match.

Name:	IMG_1949.png
Views:	12
Size:	625.0 KB
ID:	47848

Name:	IMG_1950.png
Views:	9
Size:	620.1 KB
ID:	47849

Another CL find - 110V electric dryer (this thing.)
I'm not anticipating it working terribly well, but we'll see. $100 is worth a stab at it.

Name:	IMG_1951.png
Size:	482.1 KB
ID:	47850

Name:	IMG_1952.png
Views:	5
Size:	450.2 KB
ID:	47851

Name:	IMG_1953.png
Views:	4
Size:	460.8 KB
ID:	47852
Old 08-10-2020, 10:25 PM   #1239
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Primed both sides of my bulkhead wall. Is there any task more annoying than painting expanded steel sheet with a brush? I don't think so. I really should have painted these before I installed them, but I figured I would have to weld additional stuff on them.

Not doing the door yet because I am going to have to weld more on it to attach my valve wheels.

Attachment 47846

Attachment 47847

More lanternflies, these are just the ones on the tiny tree next to my bus door. This tree is dying as soon as I can remember to take a saw that can reach through chain link fence over there. Otherwise it's gas and a match.

Attachment 47848

Attachment 47849

Another CL find - 110V electric dryer (this thing.)
I'm not anticipating it working terribly well, but we'll see. $100 is worth a stab at it.

Attachment 47850

Attachment 47851

Attachment 47852

I still think that you should try spraying the lantern flies with soapy/foamy water
Old 08-11-2020, 12:15 AM   #1240
Bus Geek

Soapy/foamy water works on bees quite well.

Tags
build thread