Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2022, 09:22 AM   #2481
Bus Geek

Year: 2003
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Got the bottoms of the last three pieces of window pillar trim attached. For one I had to pull the oven temporarily, and the others behind the sink I was able to get one screw in at an odd angle. Finally realized I didn't care since it will be hidden by the removable backsplash anyway.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3615.png
Views:	10
Size:	422.7 KB
ID:	69486

Name:	IMG_3616.png
Views:	10
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	69487

Name:	IMG_3617.png
Views:	11
Size:	427.0 KB
ID:	69488

This let me finish the last three inserts.

Name:	IMG_3618.png
Views:	12
Size:	499.3 KB
ID:	69489

Name:	IMG_3619.png
Views:	13
Size:	455.0 KB
ID:	69490

Tested out the insulated inserts last night by sleeping in the bus. It got down to 25°F overnight, but my 1500 watt electric space heater kept it at 65°F inside.

Name:	IMG_3620.png
Views:	18
Size:	382.3 KB
ID:	69491

Name:	IMG_3621.png
Views:	23
Size:	430.2 KB
ID:	69492

Sadly, I realized that the inserts behind the removable backsplashes can't be put in or taken out without removing the backsplashes first. I had thought I could pull the pins out of the hinges and do it, but the bottom hinge still sticks up about 1/4" inch and prevents the top part from coming out. And even if I unscrew the bottom hinge, most of the top ones are still too tight to come straight out. Oh well, the best laid plans ...

I also tested out the acoustic properties of the insulation with my external PC speakers and subwoofer. With the volume fully cranked on my favorite speaker-testing song:

I went outside to see how loud it was. Standing right next to the bus you could faintly hear the music, but 25-30 feet away you couldn't hear anything at all. Sleeping in the bus was also as quiet a night as I've had in a long time, couldn't hear cars driving by like I normally do.

Old 12-04-2022, 10:19 PM   #2482
Skoolie

Year: 2009
Coachwork: Girardin
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 6.6 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: ?
It is looking great. Thanks for the details in the posting on the window project. I am working on similar planning for passenger side but only bottom half covering. Definitely helpful to see your technique. Hope i can pull something off��
Buster Junior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:11 PM   #2483
Skoolie

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
I’m sorry I’m late to the discussion, but are you doing all that XPS just for stealth? Was I missing anything? Couldn’t find a roof raise in this forum either. Am I missing it or did you not do one?
Nick5272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2022, 10:58 PM   #2484
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick5272 View Post
I’m sorry I’m late to the discussion, but are you doing all that XPS just for stealth? Was I missing anything? Couldn’t find a roof raise in this forum either. Am I missing it or did you not do one?
For stealth? No, the removable XPS+plywood inserts are primarily to insulate the windows in cold weather.

I did not do a roof raise. My bus originally had a ceiling height of 6'7" and after insulation and plywood the ceiling is now 6'3", which is just enough for me at 6'0". I also dropped the floor around the wheel wells by 3", which gives me additional headroom in my kitchen.
Old 12-07-2022, 06:31 AM   #2485
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I love the removeable inserts.. natural light is a HUGE thing for me.. im a big sufferer of SADD .. so these dark busses with lots of windows removed are very depressing to me. but these inserts make it possible to block off windows in extreme weather temporarily yet be able to have the natural light and ventilation when you want it..

when I bought my DEV bus I purposely wanted one without tinted windows.. but when its Parked.. theres no chance of keeping it cool inside unless its night time..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 01:25 PM   #2486
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
when I bought my DEV bus I purposely wanted one without tinted windows.. but when its Parked.. theres no chance of keeping it cool inside unless its night time..

You might like some of this tint then. It can be had with almost all visible light allowed while rejecting most IR.
Veloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2023, 08:05 PM   #2487
Bus Geek

Back to work

Almost forgot how to do this - more than four months since my last post here.

Broke down all the insulated inserts and the remaining trim to be painted. Spent a couple of nights sleeping in the bus since the weather has been so nice. I sleep like such a frickin' log in this thing, even with all the windows exposed again.

Name:	IMG_3623.png
Views:	16
Size:	440.7 KB
ID:	71499

All the remaining interior stuff I have to paint. I still have to fill a bunch of tiny holes in the inserts with plastic wood and then remove all the hinges.

Name:	IMG_3624.png
Views:	9
Size:	499.1 KB
ID:	71500

This one was pretty strange. This is the insert that goes into my sky hatch, and it seems to have weirdly swollen in places and formed a few deep holes. It's exposed directly to sunlight and it has a bunch of construction adhesive and bits of underlayment in grooves cut in the top to make it match the ceiling curvature. I'm wondering if the sunlight combined with that stuff and the paint caused the swelling.

Name:	IMG_3625.png
Views:	11
Size:	523.6 KB
ID:	71501
Old 07-12-2023, 10:17 PM   #2488
Bus Geek

Drove the bus to my house today for the first time in (gulp) three months. I didn't realize I had left it sitting for that long, but she started right up and ran with no problems. We've had a ton of rain in the last month or so and I was worried that there might be some leaks or humidity problems inside, but it was dry as a bone. My only concern is that one of the chock/leveling thingies under my front wheels was covered with fire ants and I found two ants inside the bus. Hopefully they were just scouts that got a little lost.

My "hardwood" floor is holding up really well despite the heat and humidity. I was worried about the peel-and-stick planks peeling-and-unsticking, but the gaps I left between them have been enough to prevent buckling and I think the heat has actually let the glue flow more and improve the bonding.

I don't have any pics, but over the last few days I finished painting my XPS inserts and the rest of my trim so now I can reinstall all of that. Haven't been doing anything on the bus lately because I've been mostly looking for a house - it's a challenge finding a place small enough for me that still has enough of a yard to host a school bus.
Old 07-12-2023, 11:30 PM   #2489
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
hopefully you are good with the ants because theres no food in the bus.. ants have a way of leaving pretty quick when theres nothing left to eat.. carpenter ants are the exception because they are looking for building materials..

ha! looking for houses.. theres none out there.. ive had people come up and offer me darn good money to sell mine.. but theres none to buy.. a year and a half ago id thought about selling and sitting out the market for a bit in a rental but that wouldve proved futile as theres less to buy now than there was then .. my area never took a correction so I guess theres more in it for me now if I sold and waited a year.. moved someplace in a rental to try it?

ha! but good luck.. in my area anyway smaller houses are in high demand.. the ones for sale longest seem to the the big ones.. I think with energy costs soaring people are leaving behind the monster houses that were once the envy.. I built small and with lots of features (though no place to keep a bus for longer than a few days at a time).. id love to find what you are looking for.. small house big land where i could build a shop and put busses.. (more busses!)
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2023, 11:49 PM   #2490
Bus Geek

Name:	IMG_0817.png
Views:	6
Size:	596.2 KB
ID:	72796

All the inserts finally painted.

Name:	IMG_1722.png
Size:	541.2 KB
ID:	72798

Trim and skyhatch cover reinstalled.

Name:	IMG_1721.png
Size:	411.3 KB
ID:	72797

Name:	IMG_1723.png
Views:	7
Size:	290.7 KB
ID:	72799

Trim and Maxxair fan cover reinstalled.

Name:	IMG_1724.png
Size:	358.6 KB
ID:	72800

Name:	IMG_1725.png
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	72801

Name:	IMG_1726.png
Size:	414.6 KB
ID:	72802

Back wall. Took a nap here this afternoon - it's nice to not be completely visible to all the people walking by. The side windows are tinted so nobody can see in that way, but the rear windows are clear glass.

Name:	IMG_1727.png
Views:	5
Size:	428.2 KB
ID:	72803

Name:	IMG_1728.png
Views:	5
Size:	396.0 KB
ID:	72804

The little ledge at the end of my bed is perfect place to put a fan.

Name:	IMG_1729.png
Views:	7
Size:	481.7 KB
ID:	72805

Trim and cover for the side door reinstalled.

Name:	IMG_1730.png
Size:	404.2 KB
ID:	72806
Old 07-13-2023, 11:59 PM   #2491
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
ha! looking for houses.. theres none out there..
Coincidentally enough, a guy I've been haggling with over a house finally accepted my offer today. It's pretty amazing, the suburb where I currently live has a median house price of $500K but the house I'm going to buy is a two-bedroom for $143K. It's in a development of weird little attached cinderblock houses all built in 1942 to house workers at the Philadelphia Naval Yard. They were all supposed to be temporary but they're all still here 80 years later.

Philadelphia area is odd because it has the same housing price inflation as the rest of the country yet there's a baseline availability of small, old, cheap houses - the kind of thing that fortunately most modern buyers want no part of. This house has enough of a yard for a long driveway that will fit the bus, a large shed and enough space left over for a garden, and the house is predominantly south-facing. All the things I was looking for, and it's even the only house in the neighborhood (out of a few hundred houses) with a basement, dug out retroactively by a previous owner in the '70s.
Old 07-14-2023, 06:17 AM   #2492
Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: Cat 3126b 210 HP 605 ftlbs
great job on the window panels, I might do something simular for th couple of windows i stuck in and definitely for the roof hatches as they let in a lot of light and let in too much heat. Congrats on the house.
ism minerals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 09:26 AM   #2493
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Awesome progress. Congrats on la casa!!!!!

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 11:56 AM   #2494
Bus Crazy

Year: 1993
Chassis: ThomasBuilt 30'
Engine: need someone to tell me
Rated Cap: me + 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veloc View Post
You might like some of this tint then. It can be had with almost all visible light allowed while rejecting most IR.

And I thought that was the way glass worked, what causes the "greenhouse" effect. The visible light is transmitted in and then absorbed when it hits something and turns into heat aka ir and can't get back out because the glass does not transmit ir.

It is also a way to hide from some older ir sighting scope tech because the window glass does not transmit your ir so the scope can't see you.
kidharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 02:59 PM   #2495
Bus Nut

Year: 2005
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: FS65
Engine: Mercedes 6.4L
Rated Cap: just the 2 of us
REF the new home purchase;
Make sure there are no local ordinances that would prevent you from parking your bus there.
Of course, the flip side of the coin is that people who keep their RV's at home inadvertently advertise that their home is empty when they take the RV on a trip.
BarnYardCamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2023, 03:05 PM   #2496
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnYardCamp View Post
REF the new home purchase;
Make sure there are no local ordinances that would prevent you from parking your bus there.
Of course, the flip side of the coin is that people who keep their RV's at home inadvertently advertise that their home is empty when the take the RV on a trip.
My town actually allows you to park RVs on your property if you're resident there (although of course you're not legally allowed to live in it). I'm not sure though if you can park your RV on a property you own but are renting to a tenant, which is what I'll be doing with this house for a couple of years at first. I may do something like maintaining the house as my formal residence (to let me park the bus there) but "renting out a room" to a tenant with the understanding that they'll actually have the whole place to themselves.

I really wish skoolie life wasn't so fundamentally shady.
Old 07-14-2023, 06:57 PM   #2497
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
My town actually allows you to park RVs on your property if you're resident there (although of course you're not legally allowed to live in it). I'm not sure though if you can park your RV on a property you own but are renting to a tenant, which is what I'll be doing with this house for a couple of years at first. I may do something like maintaining the house as my formal residence (to let me park the bus there) but "renting out a room" to a tenant with the understanding that they'll actually have the whole place to themselves.

I really wish skoolie life wasn't so fundamentally shady.

You're not doing yourself any favors by telling the whole world your plans.
Old 07-14-2023, 07:11 PM   #2498
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
You're not doing yourself any favors by telling the whole world your plans.
Which means you're not doing him any favors by quoting his post

Old 07-14-2023, 07:19 PM   #2499
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHubbardBus View Post
Which means you're not doing him any favors by quoting his post

damned if you do and damned if you don't
Old 07-14-2023, 07:36 PM   #2500
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidharris View Post
damned if you do and damned if you don't
Do I really have to point out that if you edit your post and remove the quote, he could edit his post (if so inclined) in order to take your good advice? Or is your goal to prevent him from being able to do so?

Tags
build thread