Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2019, 10:37 AM   #21
Bus Nut

There are several threads on a four wheel conversion.

Seriousracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:04 AM   #22
Bus Crazy

Year: 1971
Coachwork: Wayne
Chassis: International Loadstar 1700
Engine: 345 international V-8
AWD and 4wd would be the same complexity, mostly. The difference is awd (all wheel drive, all the time) has a differential between the front and rear axle much like a tandem axle has one between both rear axles. 4wd is normally not engaged unless on at least loose or slippery comditions because front and rear are driven, and because there is always some difference in wheel travel (speed?) it will bind up if on a paved surface.

My suggestions are to find out what the bus will do as it is first then decide what will work best for you.

If you do convert to 4wd then a donor truck is likely your best bet.
Ronnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 11:24 AM   #23
Bus Nut

I have one more nail for the coffin here.

While I'm sure there are some totally cool 3-axle all wheel drive vehicles bombing around and totally tearing up some off-road trails out there, I'd be curious to know what's in the back of those trucks. Just remember that this would be your house that you're taking off-road - which means all your plates, glasses, appliances, etc. are going to be bouncing around inside the back while you're going off-road. You'll have to be extra careful in how you mount things, and how you secure your doors, cabinets, etc. These items are designed to handle some extra motion/vibration, but there's still a limit to what they can take.

I'm not saying that a 4x4 or 6x6 bus wouldn't be cool, just that remember that this vehicle is also your house -and sometimes for your houses sake, it's better to leave some things at the trail head. 4x4 to handle some rougher roads, a little snow, or a little mud would be fine. A fast 6x6 overlander might be problematic. (If you're leaving it empty or as a bus, it won't be a problem.)
Mark_In_MA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2019, 09:11 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freightliner FS-65
Engine: 7.2L Cat 3126 turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 71 passenger 30,000 gvwr
Well, since I'm no stranger to driving off-road

There's a business that sells bobbed deuce n' half's and five tons -- why? because having the extra rear axle removed makes them much better off-road expedition vehicles. As said, you only need a tandem rear axle for super heavy loads.

Making a 2wd full length bus into a 4wd is a stupid amt of work for the return imho...

Go to the .gov surplus auctions and buy a 6x6 5 ton from the '90's.
It'll have a 5sp Allison automatic, a 2sp transfer case, pto outputs. You might get lucky and get one with a winch installed. If you're really lucky, you'll find one with a radio or tool crib box on it. These seal up tight enough for NBC warfare -- you'll be able to have a/c as they're already insulated!

Yeah, you'll be skipping all the heavy modification work in exchange for a design that is already well proven -- you'll still have plenty of work to do making the box into a nice camper / zombie escape vehicle.
Attached Thumbnails
MRAP croped.jpg  
banman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 01:18 AM   #25
Mini-Skoolie

I still think it'd look bad ass I don't care that y'all hatin' on it. I'm gunna do it to something now in the future just to come back here and haunt y'all with it. It's just not gunna be my house. The only real reason I have decided not to is because I have learned that although 6x6 is great for off-road, a 34 foot school bus will never have the footprint of an APC or enough power with the 360 to move it sufficiency. And the impact on gas milage. But one of these days, alice.

Now, something y'all might also find dumb, I fully intend on fabricating a new hood with a scoop on it controlled by hydrolic arms that I can move like the war rig in Mad Max.

Please, tell me it's dumb because I know it is.

Still doin it.

Oh but my real question now is, the DT360 does alright, I don't go over 55 for fuel consumption sake, and although acceleration is slow, it's not bad at all, even going uphill is ok. In y'all's educated opinion, and based on my assessment of how it pulls the bus, can it handle an AWD or 4WD conversion? If not, how hard is it to do a 466 swap with the wet sleeve.

Oh and I'm also swapping the clutch soon. Doing it myself. I did it to a little 4 banger half ton truck but nothing this size. I have a place to do it but still haven't looked into good tutorial resources, It's a Spicer ES42-5D. Any recommendations?
OneOfHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

Also, sorry to double post, is it possible to rename the title of this thread? I thought it was possible but I'm not too sure now. My whole build isn't named, 'questions about dual Axel's and tires' lol, just this part.
OneOfHam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:00 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneOfHam View Post
Also, sorry to double post, is it possible to rename the title of this thread? I thought it was possible but I'm not too sure now. My whole build isn't named, 'questions about dual Axel's and tires' lol, just this part.
https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/M...486&pnLink=yes
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:02 PM   #28
Mini-Skoolie

Maybe try bidding on equipment at Government Planet

https://www.govplanet.com/for-sale/M...486&pnLink=yes
Brian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2019, 04:05 PM   #29

The steps to replace your clutch will be the same as your other vehicle. They are just going to be much bigger, heavier and require more muscle to work on. Please don't think you are going to drop the tranny on your gut and slide out from under the bus on a creeper. You will be in for a surprise. Flywheel may need a small winch to hold in place as you unbolt it so as not to damage it or the crank. List goes on. There is a reason they make 3/4" drive air guns. Good luck.
Gilligans Land Yacht is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dt360, international