Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-01-2023, 06:56 PM   #1
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: International
Chassis: PB105
Engine: VT365 6.0L v8 Diesel
Show Off Your Dashboard!

Hey, gang:

I'm trying to get ideas of what to do with my dashboard/control panel area, so I want to see what YOU all have done. Got a custom gauge cluster? A fancy steering wheel? A kickass stereo system? Show off your excellent custom dashes and consoles!

indigo_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2023, 09:21 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
this is the one from Redbyrd

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1072.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	232.8 KB
ID:	70356
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2023, 09:42 PM   #3
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
Quote:
This is the one from Redbyrd

That is really nice. Did the little LED switch lights come with it or did you source them?
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 05:41 PM   #4
Skoolie

Year: 2008
Coachwork: International
Chassis: PB105
Engine: VT365 6.0L v8 Diesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
this is the one from Redbyrd

Wow! That looks really involved! Did you have to wire all-new sensors to connect them to the digital displays (ipads?) or are you using the existing ones? I'm hoping there's a build page somewhere that shows how this was done…
indigo_k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2023, 07:30 AM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwnielsen View Post
That is really nice. Did the little LED switch lights come with it or did you source them?

the lights on the switch panel are an experiment. those are the original incandescant light modules (still available).. that I have dimmed down a bit so they will last forever.. I took some apart (the yare glued together) and installed LED's but wasnt happy with the light I got.. i used warm white christmas light LED's but they arent bright enough so I need to go with something different..

the next version of the switch panel deletes most of the physical switches in favor of a touchscreen switch panel (in process now in testing)..

as for the dash tablets.. i started this endeavor about 6 years ago so a lot has changed in the computer world since..
mine is a mix of commerical products.. (EFIlive for the right hand tablet which is also my transmission tuning software).. and a VMS-PC by silverleaf on the left that goes through a box i built to give me more parameters...

behind the steering wheel is my Pyro gauge which is separate.. you probably dont need a pyro unless you are tuning your engine for more power..

my engine is electronic as is my transmission (the redbyrd transformation) thread details my transmission swap and the electronics of that...

since bot hare electronic i tap the data streams of them.. the box I built taps into more parameters that are navistar-specific...

the engine is tuned with some hardware upgrades (stage 1 injectors, afrenaline HPOP, upgraded fuel PSI spring, upgraded melling LPOP, Horton E-clutch fan).. and then tuned with Powerhungry Orion reflash system.

the Orion is experimenting with digital dash capabilities of its own. once bill gets this refined a bit ill probably get rid of the silverleaf device and use my Orion as the engine dash which will display navistar-specific parameters...

ill probably keep the EFI running the trans dash as its nice to be able to just adjust my shift-points on the fly as i see fit..

ive got some more hardware upgrades to do (namely regear from 3.54 to 4.10 rear) and a turbo wit ha better profile.

as the bus drives now i dont think ill need to take the engine above 400 HP like i originally thought I would.. even with the tall rear gears my acceleration is solid with it in the 325-350 HP range.. going above 400 id want to pull the engine apart , bore it .020 over, go with Mahle Pistons and verify I for sure have forged rods.. then stud it.. but i dont think ill need to..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2023, 05:12 PM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: 44' Newell Coach
Engine: 8v92T Detroit
Rated Cap: 2 adults and two pigeons
That is a work of art! I run bluefire with a small 8" tablet to watch the gauges more accurately. My analog gauges are like the 80's show "Riptide" where you have to tap the dash to get the needles to move and set where they should be...
Old 02-21-2023, 03:25 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2007
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC FE300 11 window
Engine: DT466E
@cadillackid

I have a knock-off NEXIQ that I'm using servicemaxx to monitor. Do you know of a digital guage software that displays similar info to the silverleaf product you have in the image above? I currently have a scan D, but am looking for something a little more. Any thoughts?
WilboVIBC is offline   Reply With Quote