Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-04-2020, 06:05 PM   #1

Shuttle bus floor removal

So I’ve realized that the shuttle bus does not have steel underneath the plywood sure floor. I’m wondering if I should remove the ply wood which would be bringing it down to the frame. Get some new marine grade ply wood and install new floors. Or should I just check for mold make sure it’s solid remove any mold that might be there and replace with new marine grade wood. Or do I seal up any and all holes from where the bolts from the seats went or where the coolant lines for the heater in the back went etc re spray the bottom with a heavy duty sealant and call it a day.

My reasoning for removing it is longevity. The bus was made in 2003 so it’s 17 years old. I might live in this bus for a decade in mountainous snowy conditions in the winters. I don’t plan on driving it every day but it will get driven on wet roads. I might be able to add some more insulation cause 1 inch of plywood and some hardwood floor might not be the warmest situation especially if I live in whistler for a winter like I would like to do.

My reasoning for just resealing and calling it good is I will save a huge amount of time and money not fixing something that isn’t broken.

Thoughts? Advice?
Thank you all so much!

Ford450adventurebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2020, 11:59 PM   #2

How did this go for you? Interested in doing the same thing since I most definitely know that the plywood is no good in my F350. Any details would be appreciated so I know where to start, thanks!
Zeah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2020, 02:19 AM   #3

In my shuttle bus I have thin sheet metal floor ontop of the frame plywood on top and then the standard rubber floor mats. When I bought it it had a soft spot in the floor checked it out and the sheet metal rusted out which brought moisture to the wood and wood began to rot out.

Personally, I'd take the whole flooring out treat any rust and patch any holes to prevent further damage. Especially if you're planning to build on it, you want the peace of mind and it'll save you time and money in the long run.
SunChaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #4

Good advice. Sorry for the late reply! That’s what I planned on doing so I didn’t have to rip up the floorboards later. Less work, less money, more peace of mind haha.
Zeah is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
floor help, seal floor, shuttle bus