Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-16-2021, 11:11 PM   #1

Skoolie conversation

Hey guys, my buddy and i just bought a 5 window skoolie. Its a 2010 express with a 6.0L gas engine, 120k mi.
I want to install a tow hitch. Probably just to tow my atv/motorcycle but cant find much in google as far as what hitch would fit or a good website for it.
Any suggestions will be appreciated or any advice in general about the proccess of converting will be appriciated. Bus still has seats in it so were starting from scratch.

JohnnyCash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 11:44 PM   #2
Bus Crazy

Year: 1974
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: "Atomic"
Engine: DD 8V71
I install a couple of hitches on buses every month...but without knowing where you are, I don't know if I can assist you. (That's a gentle nudge to fill out your profile with your location. )

Generally, you'll have to have a custom hitch fabricated for a bus. But since yours is built on a van frame you might be able to find a pre-fab hitch. I just did a DDG search for "tow hitch for chevy express" and came up with several bolt-in options for under $200.
rossvtaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 09:43 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466 / MD3060
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post
I install a couple of hitches on buses every month...but without knowing where you are, I don't know if I can assist you. (That's a gentle nudge to fill out your profile with your location. )

Generally, you'll have to have a custom hitch fabricated for a bus. But since yours is built on a van frame you might be able to find a pre-fab hitch. I just did a DDG search for "tow hitch for chevy express" and came up with several bolt-in options for under $200.
Hey Ross, any tips on getting a tighter fit from the hitch post to reciever?
I.e. my cargo carrier is super loose in the hitch reciever. I tried a bit of gorilla tape to fill the gap but still pretty wobbly...
A_Bus_Called_Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:26 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I think the slop is normal but I didn't like the racket. I drilled and threaded a 9/16" hole in one side of the female receiver, installed the male section and snugged it down with a 9/16" bolt. I followed this by drilling another (9/16") hole through the side opposite the first hole and through the male insert. I threaded the male insert and tightened the pieces together--no more rattle.

A couple of words of caution. I'm using the term 9/16" as a generality, you'll have to use a smaller drill size where you want to place threads and the actual 9/16" where you want the bolt to pass through. Remember to insert the locking rod (pin) through the assembly before you drill the combined male and female bolt hole or the pin won't line up when you assemble the contraption.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 10:42 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rossvtaylor View Post

Sorry. Ill fill it out.
Im in san diego, ca. But seems like the bus rear axle is wider then the standars express vans.
Old 10-17-2021, 11:17 AM   #6
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: MVP ER
Engine: CAT 3126
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post
Sorry. Ill fill it out.
Im in san diego, ca. But seems like the bus rear axle is wider then the standars express vans.
The axle shouldn't be an issue, it's the frame spacing that matters. I've read that the Ford chassis cabs have narrower frames than the pickups, I'm not sure if this is the case with Chevys.

Consider a weld together hitch. Less DIY than a bolt on style, but probably more likely to work for you and much better ratings. Or if you're looking to tow less than 5,000lbs, I think Reese has a kit that doesn't require welding, just bolt it onto the bottom of the frames and tight the set screws.

https://www.curtmfg.com/trailer-hitches/weld-on
Truthseeker4449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2021, 03:47 PM   #7
Bus Nut

I picked up a Reese universal bolt-on hitch, approx 300 new $150 on Craigslist. Was super easy to drill / bolt-on. Seems very sturdy and rated to 5k lbs towing and 500lbs tongue weight.

As mentioned above, the Harbor Freight cargo carrier I got is a little loose in the hitch reciever but I think that is on HF carrier, not the Reese hitch.

The above mentioned weld-on hitch looked great to me but wasn't an option as I have no welder - so bolt-on was my best bet, and then I got lucky with a craigslist find!

I can find the Reese part # if you're interested
Old 10-17-2021, 04:22 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear Gerschafer View Post
I picked up a Reese universal bolt-on hitch, approx 300 new $150 on Craigslist. Was super easy to drill / bolt-on. Seems very sturdy and rated to 5k lbs towing and 500lbs tongue weight.

As mentioned above, the Harbor Freight cargo carrier I got is a little loose in the hitch reciever but I think that is on HF carrier, not the Reese hitch.

The above mentioned weld-on hitch looked great to me but wasn't an option as I have no welder - so bolt-on was my best bet, and then I got lucky with a craigslist find!

I can find the Reese part # if you're interested

If you can get the part number i would really appriciate it. Ill look on reese and see what i can find
Old 10-17-2021, 05:09 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyCash View Post
If you can get the part number i would really appriciate it. Ill look on reese and see what i can find
I'll track it down, I was wrong it is a Curt hitch ;)

Edit - Curt 13701 Adjustable RV Hitch https://www.etrailer.com/RV-and-Camp...BoCsZQQAvD_BwE

Edit 2 - spelling, fat fingers covered in mortar dust lol
Old 10-17-2021, 06:46 PM   #10

Perfect. Thanks a lot
Old 10-23-2021, 04:14 PM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

I used a regular van hitch on my 1995 and 1997 chevys. There should be measurements on the catalog page for the hitch. You can measure. The distance front to back will be different on the frame. You will need to place the hitch and mark your holes.
Lkn4it is offline   Reply With Quote