Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-22-2016, 11:12 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1996
Coachwork: International Thomas
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 71
Skoolie Vet Clinic 3 of 3

So because I have ADD and have difficulty just sticking to one project, I jumped from bus 1 of 3, the 1981 International Wayne, to bus 3 of 3, the 1996 International Thomas. This one has seats.

O-M-G the seats! I have read all kinds of threads about this and the various ways to do it.
I tried to unscrew the bolts: I couldn't even get them to turn in the slightest.

I decided to butch it out: I love power tools but must admit the angle grinder scares me a little. With a hell of a lot of effort, I cut through two legs of the little seat in the back. Only to be left with the flipping bolt on the chair rail and of course the flanges and bolts on the floor from the two legs I cut through.

I am about to cry because I don't know if I'm not tough enough for this or just over frustrated. I've seen videos of you guys going through these seats like a hot knife through butter.

What the heck?!?!? Help a sister out!!!!

HealthyPetsBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:14 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Old 04-22-2016, 11:26 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 2003
Coachwork: Thomas
Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
What kind of grinder are you using?
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:28 PM   #4
Bus Nut

Engine: Cat 3126e
Rated Cap: 28
This is what I used with the best results.

Makita 7.5 Amp 4-1/2 in. Angle Grinder-9557NB - The Home Depot

Diablo 4-1/2 in. x 0.040 in. x 7/8 in. Thin Kerf Metal Cut-Off Disc-DBD045040101F - The Home Depot
Josiahdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:39 PM   #5
Mini-Skoolie

I am using a Dewalt AG with a thicker grinding wheel

Old 04-22-2016, 11:40 PM   #6
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
Don't be discouraged. I think you should try having someone under the bus holding a wrench on the nut. If you can't get the bolts to turn you can get a longer ratchet for better leverage. Try soaking the bolts with penetrating oil first. You can use what is called a breaker bar to break the bolts loose then use a ratchet. You can buy a battery or air operated (air compressor needed) impact gun to break them loose. You are just not using the right tools yet. Those bolts have been in there for 20 years and will take some doing to get them loose. If you keep asking for advice we will keep giving it to you. We will help you through this. If you go to Lowes or Home Depot or an automotive store they will be familiar with everything I have mentioned. Good luck and keep going!
Old 04-22-2016, 11:44 PM   #7
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
For cutting off old, rusty bolts...use a thin steel cutting disk, not a grinding disk. I have a couple of the same DeWalts..they work just fine.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:45 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

I also purchased this cutoff wheel instead of the metal grinding disk.

I didn't try it because I thought it was thin to cut through such heavy metal. Maybe that's not true?

Roadrunner: The reason I chose the AG method is that I don't have anyone to help right now to do the bolts from beneath. I did see one post where they cut through the tops of the bolts like a cross and then used an air chisel. I tried the AG, as I had it already. I looked for an air chisel at Lowe's but they had none.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:08 AM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC 2000
Engine: 5.9
Rated Cap: 83
I know how that is. I'm doing my bus by myself too. The cutting disk will work but it will take a long time and a lot of disks. You'll get there though. Good luck.
Old 04-23-2016, 12:22 AM   #10
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Just today I chopped an inch off of eight 9/16" U-Bolts using a thin cutting disk. Zipped right through them because they are not having to remove as much steel as a grinding disk would.
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 12:38 AM   #11
Mini-Skoolie

Enough seats.... On to paint!!!

I do not want to walk out of the warehouse tonight without a little feeling of accomplishment.
So.... Enough seats until I get some other tools and help. Let's talk about paint!

The nose of my bus has peeling clear coat and oxidized undercoat. I took the two front mirrors off and sanded that heifer!

The clear coat stayed whitish after sanding. I'm wondering if I should sand it with a stronger grit? I'm afraid if I don't knock it off more it will just peel too after I paint.

I posted this for the 1 of 3 thread, but here again is my inspiration paint scheme:

Old 04-23-2016, 06:55 AM   #12
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
Move up to a 7" angle grinder, but of course keep the 4.5" one. I started my conversion project with the smaller one and it took for ever to grind off the bolt heads. Last summer, I upgraded to a Rigid 7", zipped through them.

As for the bolts on the chair rail? An appropriately-sized socket on a 3/8" or 1/2" ratchet with extension works just fine, paired with either a matching socket on a breaker bar or a wrench. You can get most of these hand tools for cheap at your local Harbor Freight. I also recommend an impact driver and extensions, gets them out faster.

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 07:17 AM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what about hitting the bolts with an impact? on my last bus I took a couple seats out by going out the night before and PB-Blaster spraying all the bolts, then the next day I hit em with an air impact wrench (with the air compressor turned up to 120 PSI and then they actually unscrewed...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2016, 02:49 PM   #14
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Chassis: Ford
Engine: Detroit 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
Don't waste a grinding wheel on the legs
Get a cheap sawzall with with some thick metal blades.
For the bolt heads in the floor use the thin blades to cut the heads off, your foot to kick the seat foot out of the way and a hammer to punch the remaining bolt through the floor.
Hang in there, keep both hands on the sawzall, both hands on the grinder and use the handle that comes with it when you can and please don't position your body behind the rotation of the grinder when you can help it because a grinder is going to grab because the metal is going to create a pinch point as you get towards the back side of the cut and unplug both when changing blades.
If you decide to use the grinder for cutting the legs you need to cut the backside first to eliminate the wheel pinch and on the front side you can leave just enough to hold until the chair rail bolts are cut then you can break the rest off.
But if you are already cutting the floor bolts and taking off the rail bolts then you can remove the seat without cutting the leg.
Might be a little more time in wrench/grinder position but it will save a step.
HANG IN THERE.
Jolly Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2016, 09:31 PM   #15
Mini-Skoolie

Finally success! Making it a family affair was the secret to success, and a combination of ratcheting out the bolts and angle grinding a few stubborn ones! Thank you Father in Law and wifie!!!

The pic only shows one row, but they were left standing in place. Now looking for scrappers in Houston to relieve me of some scrap.

Working hard on these two of three buses at the same time. One thing for sure, deconstructing buses is HARD work! Lazy people need not apply! I have to say it is certainly very satisfying .