Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2015, 03:41 PM   #321
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
You do all have P.T.O. winches? Right?
Wouldn't that be nice. I'd love to put a PTO on my MT643 with hydraulic pump. I could run a bunch of things off that!!

Alas, here, that kind of equipment is very expensive. Even finding a different differential is an issue. The guy down the road wants $950.00 for a 4.10 after making sure mine is good and taking mine in exchange. Too rich for my blood.
Maybe have to get this project roadable and do some work along the way and make those kind of changes in areas where it's less expensive.

I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2015, 04:55 PM   #322
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newfiedogs View Post
Sojourner,
Was thinking of doing the same thing on mine with the front bumper but will do some thing more like we had on the fire trucks. I figure a couple of tool/storage boxes on the sides and place to mount a trans cooler angled in the middle. Probably come out from the front about 16 inches. Funny your front end picks look like mine this past week, I replaced the fan clutch. Fun job, had to fab tool to hold fan assembly but did not take too much time. Keep up the great work you are an excellent fabricator and thank you for sharing.
Tracy
Thanks for the kind comments. You may not know it but you're a big inspiration and help to me with the pics you shared a while back. Kudo's to you as well!!

By the way, I have a friend in OH who is seriously looking into the whole skoolie thing. He's a school bus driver in or near Stowe and checking into available local buses that come up for auction. Once he does buy one, I think he'll probably bring it down here for conversion work.

Trav.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 08-03-2015, 10:21 AM   #323
Almost There

Coachwork: Amtran
Chassis: Genesis
Engine: Cornbinder 466
Rated Cap: 71
Stow,
Not that far from me, about 45 minutes. He can stop by our place if he want's to check out what I have done.
Tracy
Newfiedogs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 07:40 AM   #324
Bus Nut

Interesting

[IMG][URL=http://s914.photobucket.com/user/A_bus_named_Sojourner/media/Mobile%20Uploads/29968[/IMG]
Old 08-05-2015, 10:58 AM   #325
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Interesting

[IMG][URL=http://s914.photobucket.com/user/A_bus_named_Sojourner/media/Mobile%20Uploads/29968[/IMG]
Here we go:

Old 08-05-2015, 01:27 PM   #326
Bus Crazy

That looks like a Crown Hi-Po (Highway Post Office).

The USPS purchased several two and three axle Crowns to be used much in the same way railway post offices were used. Pick up the mail in out of the way places and sort as you go down the road.
cowlitzcoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 08:32 PM   #327
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowlitzcoach View Post
That looks like a Crown Hi-Po (Highway Post Office).

The USPS purchased several two and three axle Crowns to be used much in the same way railway post offices were used. Pick up the mail in out of the way places and sort as you go down the road.
I believe that's exactly what it is. I might look into doing something like this on mine. The flat roof would give me better insulation, more room for ductwork and lights and keep the overall height lower with a walk in entry for with no stepwell. Might end up cutting the entire roof off, where I want to raise it, at the top of the window posts.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:45 PM   #328
Bus Nut

Year: 1992
Coachwork: bluebird
Rated Cap: 72
Talk about a distraction Pick up the mail in out of the way places and sort as you go down the road.....and everyones worried about talking & texting while driving....duh
The-Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 07:27 AM   #329
Bus Nut

I watched the videos on YouTube of the roof raise on Mudda earth's bus named "Transcendence" last evening. When he cut the roof just aft of the cab a 1/2" gap opened up due to the front of the bus fore of the axle dropping down. He jacked and blocked it up to close the gap but one has to wonder, if the body is helping hold the frame straight, what will keep it from wanting to sag after closing in the raise? Seems a bit scary, if you ask me.
Old 08-06-2015, 06:49 PM   #330
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
I watched the videos on YouTube of the roof raise on Mudda earth's bus named "Transcendence" last evening. When he cut the roof just aft of the cab a 1/2" gap opened up due to the front of the bus fore of the axle dropping down. He jacked and blocked it up to close the gap but one has to wonder, if the body is helping hold the frame straight, what will keep it from wanting to sag after closing in the raise? Seems a bit scary, if you ask me.

Yes, and more yes.

I have jacked up and manipulated my bus's all over the place. I even removed 19 feet of bus body off of a 38 foot B700.
With the body whole, the bus will not twist. With the roof cut loose it twists easily. With no body, the rails will twist and bend.

Anyone that cuts the roof into two pieces, will suffer from movement in the body around the cut point, in a full twist situation, like driving into a ditch, or a bad angled approach.

That roof needs to stay one piece, and every support rib spliced properly.

Otherwise, good luck.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:55 PM   #331
Bus Nut

Lori and I have been talking about the whole roof raise and basically did a "pro and con" list for doing the raise and not doing the raise. One of the primary reasons for building this bus was a tiny home for the two of us to live in. Within that vision we would be boondocking more often than not while away from our homestead. There are two primary reasons for the roof raise. One is shower height and the other, stepwell intrusion into the floor plan. The number of steps is fixed by the floor height. The only difference is whether steps inside or out. While I have no issue with the actual fabrication aspect of this modification, I have always had concerns with the overall structural integrity of a roof raise, especially when driving on dirt roads back in the boonies. Nat mentioned the same in the last post. I've even had some lengthy conversations with my son (a mechanical engineer trained in the shipping industry and works in the steel industry). So, that being said, we're leaning toward leaving the stock body mostly intact with the exception of moving the entry door. To deal with the lack of shower height I'm looking into installing a bubble skylight to give things a bit more headroom and mounting the shower floor directly on the metal subfloor with a proper marine bedding material. A removable stepwell cover will keep us from baking an ankle on the way to the gallery in an early morning fog to make coffee. I'd like to hear from folks on both sides of this issue. If you left the stock height, are the stepwell and shower even viable concerns? Did raising the roof add "wiggle" to the body?
Old 08-07-2015, 07:40 PM   #332
Bus Crazy

Year: 1976
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71 Mid-Ship Mounted
Rated Cap: 79 at Birth
I don't have the skills to do a roof raise, so I did not try, which is not to say that it should not be done. Also, I'm kinda not so tall, so the shower thing did not give me a concern ... but I also think it's a matter of what fits your needs. Give some concerns about how much time you will be in the shower versus the overall plan for your living needs and the height for just living in it and I think that may give you a good direction
Old 08-07-2015, 07:44 PM   #333
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
I did not raise the roof. I can stand slightly bent for the time I shower. It may help me get out of taking longer showers. Mine has a built in seat anyway so we won't be standing all the time, every time. Yes, it might be a nice addition to be able to stand straight up while rinsing but I don't stand straight up for long in the shower. In the rest of the bus, my height is fine and I am 6'1" which matters too.
HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 08:14 PM   #334
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545
Rated Cap: 75
I can live with a short shower for now. And for the same reason as HolyBus

Captain Obvious on deviantArt
Scooternj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 09:32 PM   #335

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Being only 5'8", a roof raise for me is not necessary. When I get a smoking hot girlfriend that is 6'4", I will worry about a roof raise. What concerns me more is compromising the structural integrity of the body structure. There are many members here that have the abilities to make it happen and we have seen their threads. There are some that should probably stick to hanging a picture with Velcro. I know you are capable but I think you really need to want a roof raise to make it happen if that makes sense.

Did you find a spot for you tools? I finally picked up my bumpers. I think one would look good on a flat front. The center section is made from 1/2" plate.
Attached Thumbnails
b.jpg  

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 06:17 AM   #336
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Being only 5'8", a roof raise for me is not necessary. When I get a smoking hot girlfriend that is 6'4", I will worry about a roof raise. What concerns me more is compromising the structural integrity of the body structure. There are many members here that have the abilities to make it happen and we have seen their threads. There are some that should probably stick to hanging a picture with Velcro. I know you are capable but I think you really need to want a roof raise to make it happen if that makes sense.

Did you find a spot for you tools? I finally picked up my bumpers. I think one would look good on a flat front. The center section is made from 1/2" plate.
I'm 5'-10" and Lori shorter than I. The height has never been much of a concern with her, other than wanting ceiling fans.

1/2" thick? WOW!! That beast has got to be heavy!! It'll be fun to see it on your bus. Keep us posted with pics!!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:47 AM   #337
Skoolie

Lightbulb

I finally picked up my bumpers. I think one would look good on a flat front. The center section is made from 1/2" plate.[/QUOTE]

Yep there you go again teasing me with that bumper
I am now watching go liquidation for one!

Man, that is awesome.
c_hasbeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 10:50 AM   #338
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Bad ass! And once you get the rest of the armor plate installed it should be REALLY cool.

BTW...just saw this on Craig's List and thought of you...

Slightly used 20mm Vulcan M61
Need cash quick. Make offer.
El Chapo Guzman
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 11:02 AM   #339

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Bad ass! And once you get the rest of the armor plate installed it should be REALLY cool.

BTW...just saw this on Craig's List and thought of you...

Slightly used 20mm Vulcan M61
Cash only. Make offer.
El Chapo Guzman

Is that off of an A-10?

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 12:08 PM   #340
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: AmTran
Chassis: International 3000RE
Engine: T444E/AT545