Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-14-2017, 01:19 PM   #541
Mini-Skoolie

Damn fiberglass removal bare handed your a wild man. Wanna be a plumber out in Colorado?

Joshshortbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #542
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshshortbus View Post
Damn fiberglass removal bare handed your a wild man. Wanna be a plumber out in Colorado?
Fioberglass batting? Barehanded, no problem. I won't however do it bare armed.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:22 AM   #543
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Solar battery box frame and trim ring

Got a bit more done on Gimel with some materials I have on hand. I built the solar battery box frame from 2-1/2" x 5/16" thick angle iron. I'm using a box that will hold 4 golf cart batteries that will be wired series parallel to give me 400-450 amp hours of storage. I'm keeping things centered and low to help smooth the ride where I can and keep the CG centered. I mounted it right between the frame rails just aft of the water tank which is just aft of the differential. This will give me around 650Lbs. "ballast" just aft of the differential. Not a lot but I'll take what I can to soften the ride a bit.
Some might have a hard time with the idea of drilling on the flange of the frame rails but, from what I have researched, doing so with small bolt holes (in my case 5/16") in the center of the flange is really not an issue. Now, if one was cutting the flange from the inside edge in, different story altogether (I can't for the life of me think why anyone would do that but there's a call out for that).

Here's a pic from the underside looking at the solar battery box frame:

From the inside looking down (access to the batteries will be via the storage compartment under the bed):

I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #544
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Got a bit more done on Gimel with some materials I have on hand. I built the solar battery box frame from 2-1/2" x 5/16" thick angle iron. I'm using a box that will hold 4 golf cart batteries that will be wired series parallel to give me 400-450 amp hours of storage. I'm keeping things centered and low to help smooth the ride where I can and keep the CG centered. I mounted it right between the frame rails just aft of the water tank which is just aft of the differential. This will give me around 650Lbs. "ballast" just aft of the differential. Not a lot but I'll take what I can to soften the ride a bit.
Some might have a hard time with the idea of drilling on the flange of the frame rails but, from what I have researched, doing so with small bolt holes (in my case 5/16") in the center of the flange is really not an issue. Now, if one was cutting the flange from the inside edge in, different story altogether (I can't for the life of me think why anyone would do that but there's a call out for that).

Here's a pic from the underside looking at the solar battery box frame:

From the inside looking down (access to the batteries will be via the storage compartment under the bed):

great fabrication and ideas as always!
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 08:35 AM   #545
Bus Nut

On another note. Has anyone raised the roof and continued using the stock bus windows? It seems the missing portion of the hat channel would make it problematic (which is one reason I'd like to use hat channel as part of the extensions). As far as the z-channel needed on the bottom, no problem having that made (or making myself). Lori and I have decided to use the stock bus windows for a few reasons:
1. It will allow us to add more light into the space while leaving all but one (we have to remove one to install the door midships) hat channel bow in place.
2. The RV windows we have salvaged from our travel trailer are single pane and would give us no thermal advantage over the stock bus windows other than they are tinted.
3. I can take apart and rebuild the current bus windows. I believe I've located new vinyl glazing strip material as well as the pile weatherstrip used on the sliding portion of the window. We're seriously thinking of tinting the windows to improve their efficiency. Also, we've found that once disassembled, cleaned and lubricated, these windows operate very nicely.
4. We can trim out the stock windows to be more "residential-like" on the inside.
5. We can, if desired, have thicker walls giving us more insulation. The RV windows limited us to 2" thick walls.

I'm really not that interested in opinions but rather insight from actual experience using bus windows on their roof raise?
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 12-08-2017, 08:54 AM   #546
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: Blue Bird TC RE 3904, Flat Nose, 40', 277" wh base
Engine: 8.3L Cummins ISC 260hp, MT643, 4.44 rear
Rated Cap: 84 pax or 1 RV; 33,000lbs
I likes it. Mine would have to be in front of the diff. Rear engine.

Quote:
Now, if one was cutting the flange from the inside edge in, different story altogether (I can't for the life of me think why anyone would do that but there's a call out for that).
You're talking about cutting a slot in the frame? Or are you talking about cutting a slot in the angle iron? I don't like the idea of either of those.
Brewerbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 09:06 AM   #547
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
I likes it. Mine would have to be in front of the diff. Rear engine.

You're talking about cutting a slot in the frame? Or are you talking about cutting a slot in the angle iron? I don't like the idea of either of those.
Cutting the flange of the frame rail (ref. pg. 15 of: https://www.gmupfitter.com/files/med...abForwardW.pdf) is what was referenced. Never a good idea but in the document cited is called out in case anyone was thinking about it.

I wanted to mount the solar battery box in front of the diff but a couple things prevented me. One was a cross brace in the frame rail was such it would have required me to cut two floor joists next to each other (the second thing) to position. Something I simply will not do. As it turns out, having the weight of the batteries farther aft will give me more weight advantage (think lever) concerning the spring mounts over the diff. than directly in front of the differential.

Old 12-08-2017, 09:31 AM   #548
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
great fabrication and ideas as always!
Thanks. I noticed on your thread your interest in a different dash and instrument cluster (something I totally advocate!!). Take a look back in my thread and you can see what I'm doing. It might be of interest to you since you and I both have "pre-computer" buses. I'll probably do a burl vinyl on my actual dash panel (this sort of thing is what Peterbilt and other manufacturers did back in the day before all the plastic stuff) and bed liner on the dash adapter and other places (dog house) for contrast and durability in the cab. Diamond plate floor for sure and maybe a barefoot for the accelerator for fun !

Old 12-08-2017, 10:31 AM   #549
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
Thanks. I noticed on your thread your interest in a different dash and instrument cluster (something I totally advocate!!). Take a look back in my thread and you can see what I'm doing. It might be of interest to you since you and I both have "pre-computer" buses. I'll probably do a burl vinyl on my actual dash panel (this sort of thing is what Peterbilt and other manufacturers did back in the day before all the plastic stuff) and bed liner on the dash adapter and other places (dog house) for contrast and durability in the cab. Diamond plate floor for sure and maybe a barefoot for the accelerator for fun !
Thats awesome. Cant wait to see your end job!

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 12:26 PM   #550
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
Thats awesome. Cant wait to see your end job!

Sent from my LG-LS777 using Tapatalk
That makes at least two of us!!
My project reminds me of a "Three hour cruise" kinda thing. Thankfully Lori (my wife) is the perfect combination of Mary Ann and Ginger with the grace of Mrs. Howell! I, however, am the perfect combination of The Captain, Gilligan and the professor. I don't have pockets deep enough to the Thurston Howell III .
Yea, while I did real good, Lori could have probably done better .

Old 12-08-2017, 12:38 PM   #551
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
what if you raised the roof below the window line so you keep the supports and locations for the windows? as opposed to cutting in the middle like a lot do... I seem to remember a builer here at some point where someone raised the roof below the windows and moved windows up so they were still at the top.. allowed all their counter tops and such to fit nicely under the windows even at standard height with a raised insulated floor..
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:29 PM   #552
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
This one. I really like the window height also.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
12 inch raise3.jpg  
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 06:48 PM   #553
Bus Geek

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Ford B700
Engine: 8.2
Rated Cap: 60 bodies
As CHris said. Raise the winders with the roof.
I know if I did do mine at this point I wouldn't have much metal to weld or overlap onto with out demoing all of my finished S$$$t to do it because of not enough access below the the window framing to weld (for me successfully) .
It's easy for someone to give an opinion on someone else's build and it's time consuming to listen to all the opinions whether good or bad?
Regardless of the research and the forum everyone makes there own final decision.
Jolly Roger bus 223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2017, 07:01 PM   #554
Bus Crazy

Year: 2001
Chassis: Thomas
Engine: CAT 3126
Love your basement fabrication!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

https://www.skoolie.net/forums/f11/4-...ner-18205.html
david.dgeorge07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:34 AM   #555
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
what if you raised the roof below the window line so you keep the supports and locations for the windows? as opposed to cutting in the middle like a lot do... I seem to remember a builer here at some point where someone raised the roof below the windows and moved windows up so they were still at the top.. allowed all their counter tops and such to fit nicely under the windows even at standard height with a raised insulated floor..
-Christopher
I thought of that but I really don't want to remove the outer skin. Besides that, the z-channel they installed for the bottom of the windows is pretty sub-par if you ask me. I can do a much better job not being on the time constraints of a manufacturing situation. This will also give me a much better sealing surface at the end of the day.
If I can get some hat channels made that are exact copies of the original and tube the inside of them (tubes extending to attach to the OEM hat channels) to fit into the originals I can retain the original profile inside and out. If I do it at the correct place the replacement z-channels would weld nicely on the mild steel section of the whole thing.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:36 AM   #556
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by plfking View Post
This one. I really like the window height also.

Don
Thanks for the pic. Which build is that picture from? I'd like to check it out.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:39 AM   #557
Bus Geek

Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
I thought of that but I really don't want to remove the outer skin. Besides that, the z-channel they installed for the bottom of the windows is pretty sub-par if you ask me. I can do a much better job not being on the time constraints of a manufacturing situation. This will also give me a much better sealing surface at the end of the day.
If I can get some hat channels made that are exact copies of the original and tube the inside of them (tubes extending to attach to the OEM hat channels) to fit into the originals I can retain the original profile inside and out. If I do it at the correct place the replacement z-channels would weld nicely on the mild steel section of the whole thing.
Sending you a section of original hat channel and an extension channel. It'll be monday.
REMIND ME!
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 07:54 AM   #558
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Sending you a section of original hat channel and an extension channel. It'll be monday.
REMIND ME!
Thanks! Will do. I'll PM ya.
Old 12-09-2017, 09:19 AM   #559
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34
Quote:
Thanks for the pic. Which build is that picture from? I'd like to check it out.
This is the one Chris was referring to, I think. It is in the photo albums somewhere.....I only saved these three pics because it may be something I do to mine. I like the window height because you wouldn't have to stoop over as far to see out the windows, and they would offer more privacy if you're boondocking in your underwear.

Don
Attached Thumbnails
12 inch raise3.jpg   12 inch raise.jpg   12 inch raise2.jpg  
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #560
Bus Nut

Anyone interested I will have some bus windows intact frames and all once I begin my skinning segment they'll be double height will be posted in the classifieds once I pull em. Ill be sure to post the size as well.

Sent from my LGL64VL using Tapatalk
golfersmurf57 is offline   Reply With Quote