Old 10-27-2019, 07:32 AM   #841
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Thoughts on can A/C

Been thinking lately about options for A/C in the cab of Gimel. Iím considering doing a 9000btu roof mount and powering it with an inverter (powered by the engine main battery and only able to operate while the engine is running) and upfitting the alternator to keep it fed while running. Our cab area will be closed off due to we have a front galley design and cabinetís will make it easy to do so.
Any thoughts?
Also, considering removing the seriously oversized heater up front and ducting a diesel fired forced air unit to do cab heat and defrost, just have to figure out a clever outside air mix to control temperature of air blowing out.
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2019, 10:55 AM   #842
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Been thinking lately about options for A/C in the cab of Gimel. Iím considering doing a 9000btu roof mount and powering it with an inverter (powered by the engine main battery and only able to operate while the engine is running) and upfitting the alternator to keep it fed while running. Our cab area will be closed off due to we have a front galley design and cabinetís will make it easy to do so.
Any thoughts?
Also, considering removing the seriously oversized heater up front and ducting a diesel fired forced air unit to do cab heat and defrost, just have to figure out a clever outside air mix to control temperature of air blowing out.

Why go to the expense of a diesel fired heater? I get you think the front heater/defroster is going to be way too big for a cab not much larger than a truck cab. But it is already there and works. Diesel fired heaters like Espar or Webasto units are expensive and not especially reliable. They are famous for burning buses to the ground.

As far as a 110-VAC A/C unit, I can see where you are going with it but I think you will have a hard time keeping the cab comfortable with a unit that small. When you go down the road you will have a lot of air intrusion from outside that will work against your A/C unit. You also have a huge amount of greenhouse glass that will put a strain on the A/C unit as well. I have driven many motorcoaches that when new cost close to a $1 million that had HVAC systems that could barely keep the driver's compartment tolerable if you were heading into the sun on a hot afternoon. Same road heading the opposite direction at the same time with the same outside ambient temperature and the driver's compartment would get almost chilly.

I think perhaps you need to rethink your A/C system.
cowlitzcoach is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2019, 09:17 AM   #843
Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE
Engine: DT466E
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Any thoughts?

I too am closing off my cab from the rest of the build. I took out all of the original heating for the bus, and put this back in. It's simple to install and not super expensive. It'd take care of your heating, anyway, though notsomuch your cooling. I got an expansion kit that will let me run a Y from the heater unit to the defroster inputs. I'm probably going to install "normal" car air conditioning at some point, since the cab area is tiny.

https://smile.amazon.com/Flex-a-lite...dp/B000CNJBPU/
FuzzWantsABus is offline   Reply With Quote