Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-15-2015, 07:55 AM   #281
Bus Nut

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: I.H.
Engine: DT360
Central FL, not far from the mouse.

HolyBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #282
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Still thinking about how to go about the whole roof raise. I was thinking, has anyone done, or know of it being done,a roof raise using the front and rear end caps of another bus of the same model and basically raising the center section behind the cab and just behind the last bow? I'm only going up 12"-14" so I can't see air flow being that big of a deal since my bus is basically like pushing a shoebox down the road anyhow. This would simplify the raise considerably and maintain maximum structural integrity to boot. If I use the ends like I have I would also get some added light through the cider windows. Any advice from experience out there? Maybe suggestions on where to get the parts?
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:00 PM   #283
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Yeah that is sorta the way it used to be done on buses.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 02:13 PM   #284
Bus Crazy

Year: 1989
Coachwork: 1853FC International/Navistar
Chassis: 35' Retired Air Force Ambulance
Engine: DT466, MT643
Rated Cap: 6 souls and a driver
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Still thinking about how to go about the whole roof raise. I was thinking, has anyone done, or know of it being done,a roof raise using the front and rear end caps of another bus of the same model and basically raising the center section behind the cab and just behind the last bow? I'm only going up 12"-14" so I can't see air flow being that big of a deal since my bus is basically like pushing a shoebox down the road anyhow. This would simplify the raise considerably and maintain maximum structural integrity to boot. If I use the ends like I have I would also get some added light through the cider windows. Any advice from experience out there? Maybe suggestions on where to get the parts?
donors are out there!

School bus body

If I had the way......
it'd be in my back yard!
Old 07-20-2015, 03:25 PM   #285
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Sojourner- I downloaded your barrelponics how-to about two years ago...funny running into you here! Ended up doing a regular dirt garden, but will try Aquaponics one day!

As for the roof raise, you could always sink the shower down through the floor for some extra headroom.
GuidoLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2015, 04:07 PM   #286
Bus Nut

I can't sink the shower into the floor for a couple reasons. One, the entire available space under the floor it taken up with basement storage. The space under the shower has a stabilizer jack and propane storage. I'd also have to lower the grey water tank for it to drain. Good ideas outside the box though. Even if the shower wasn't an issue, we'd still have to raise the roof for normal counter top height and reduce stepwell encroachment. We're gonna be living in it full time so we want it to be as comfortable as it can be. If ti was just a camper, we'd leave things as be and already be using it.
Thanks again for the suggestion!!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 07-20-2015, 04:12 PM   #287
Almost There

Year: 1965
Coachwork: Looking for a bus...maybe
Chassis: International Scout
Engine: 7.3L Powerstroke
Rated Cap: 2
Right on.

Whoop whoop! Raise the roof! Looking forward to watching your progress.
GuidoLyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2015, 08:51 AM   #288
Bus Nut

Hey guys and gals, just found an ebay store that might be of interest. Lots of truck stuff that could be used on a skoolie. I have not ordered from them or am endorsing them per se. Just thought it was a very large resource.

Cargo Control for Truck Trailer items in Global Parts Inc Kenworth Peterbilt Mack Freightliner Volvo store on eBay!
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 07-24-2015, 10:19 AM   #289
Bus Nut

Had a very interesting conversation with Walter Wade the other day concerning skoolies. He's a very nice man, and if you catch him near a phone he's not already on, a wealth of information. He has a skoolie graveyard and I've got to find a way to get up there someday.
Anyhow, he was mentioning the use of a 2 speed differential for getting good highway speeds in direct drive and when in the mountains, just chill out and take it easy. Sounds like a good idea to me since we plan on boondocking and could use the low side from time to time. I'm not finding much for the N190 rear axle though. Any suggestions?
Also, he mentioned adding a PTO to my trans (MT643) with a hydraulic pump to drive winches, log splitters, etc. i was even thinking of doing something like that for Lori's grain mill or a genset. Lot's of possibilities. Now to find a salvage dump truck with a 4.10 2-speed N190 rear and blown engine and MY643 tranny with a good PTO and pump unit on it. Oh yea, those are sitting on every corner. Also, going out to take some pics of the progress so far (had to stop, grinder died).

Old 07-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #290
Bus Nut

Just an update on progress so far. Slow, I know, but progress nevvertheless.
The frames for my basement storage are made from 1x1x1/8" angle iron with a 1/2" strip of 14ga. welded on the edge making a "z" channel. I couldn't find what I wanted so I have to make it from scratch. The doors themselves will be made from 3/4" x 1.16" square tubing making the outer frame with a 14 or 16ga. sheet welded flush inside this frame. This will give me a strong edge to mount the gas cylinders onto as well as a sealing surface against the lip of the "z" channel that will leave an 1/8" gap to be filled with 3/16" weather strip. I was going to use something like hatch seal but decided to go low tech and be able to repair it almost anywhere if needed. Kind of the theme of this bus.

Here's a couple photo's of the refrigerator shelves I made after having them powder coated at a friends house. I don't think these are going to rust away anytime soon!!

Old 07-24-2015, 10:51 AM   #291
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
I'm not a fan of cutting up the roof.

IMO it should be left as one piece.

After all, it is the strongest part of the bus.

I like the look your after, I just feel it's not a good idea.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2015, 11:25 AM   #292
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by nat_ster View Post
I'm not a fan of cutting up the roof.

IMO it should be left as one piece.

After all, it is the strongest part of the bus.

I like the look your after, I just feel it's not a good idea.

Nat
Hey Nate, I hear your concerns. The plan is to maintain as much of the structural integrity as possible by adding bows at both the upper and lower transition points for the factory end caps to attach to. By using both the inner and outer factory endcaps (on both ends) I can maintain most, if not all the factory designed structural strength. Maybe even strengthening it with the added angles. Also, by leaving the factory rear end cap intact (both inner and outer) I retain the structural integrity of that component as well. I, at first, thought about doing an angled transition as I liked the look but at 14"-20" raise, I'm not really going to be pushing that much more air driving this shoebox down the road seldom as it will be. If need be I can always add a wing to divert air over the bus. If I can find windowed caps, I also gain extra light into the interior.

Old 07-26-2015, 12:55 AM   #293
Bus Geek

Good description.

Thx

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
Old 07-26-2015, 09:19 AM   #294
Bus Nut

By the way Nat. Sorry about misspelling your name (Nate).
Old 07-26-2015, 09:21 AM   #295
Bus Nut

Can anyone out there tell me if the body bows are the same on all models of international skoolies? It will help to know if there is a difference when looking for a donor.

Old 07-26-2015, 11:58 AM   #296
Bus Geek

All good about the spelling of my name, people do that in real life too.

If your coach work is Bluebird, than any Bluebird from the last 5 years each way should fit.

Same with Thomas.

International only made the chassis.

Nat

Old 07-26-2015, 12:08 PM   #297
Bus Nut

Quote:

If your coach work is Bluebird, than any Bluebird from the last 5 years each way should fit.

Same with Thomas.

Nat
Mines a 1995 international AmTrans. Some of the dognose buses out there are International's but not BB or Thomas. Would be easy to find a donor if a 1990-2000 dognose would fit.
Old 07-26-2015, 12:41 PM   #298
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:

Same with Thomas.

Nat
funny.
I assumed your name WAS Nat... Like Nat King Cole.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 12:19 AM   #299
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by sojourner View Post
Mines a 1995 international AmTrans. Some of the dognose buses out there are International's but not BB or Thomas. Would be easy to find a donor if a 1990-2000 dognose would fit.
We can't get Am Tran buses here, so I have nothing to reference to.

Only one here is a privet contractor. He has a 07 RE300 with a 300hp DT466 and a 3060 trans with 6th gear and a engine brake.

He paid 131,000 in 07.

EastcoastCB
My name is Nat.
Nat_ster is my company name. It stems from the days of napster the mp3 download client.
At that time I was a computer tech, programer, website updater, ect.
I have carried the name from trade to trade as I have changed through the years.

Nat

Old 07-27-2015, 01:55 AM   #300

Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
We can't get Am Tran buses here, so I have nothing to reference to.

Only one here is a privet contractor. He has a 07 RE300 with a 300hp DT466 and a 3060 trans with 6th gear and a engine brake.

He paid 131,000 in 07.

EastcoastCB
My name is Nat.
Nat_ster is my company name. It stems from the days of napster the mp3 download client.
At that time I was a computer tech, programer, website updater, ect.
I have carried the name from trade to trade as I have changed through the years.

Nat
Wow, I thought I overpaid for my buses.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote