Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-31-2016, 06:22 PM   #321
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
a simple diode will do for the speedo signal typically as you dont want the impedence of the second device on the sensor circuit.. sometiomes just making sure you have the same polarity on bot hdevices is enough...

on my old monte carlo hotrod I didnt need anything other than to make sure the correct polarity for both the speedo and the cruise unit...

I didnt look at the GM unit only because i thought they were still all vacuum controlled units.. I typically dont like to put used parts in just because time is of the essence for me so having to replace something twice is worth it to me to buy a new cruise unit... esp when im talking a couple hundred bucks for a full kit with dash mounted buttons, controller, actuator ,etc...

-Christopher

cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:17 PM   #322
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Engine: DT408
Quote:
Originally Posted by somewhereinusa View Post
I can't say anything about any car makers module, I didn't research any farther as this is the original info I got and it works.

My understanding is that if the module is NOT wired to use terminal H it will work. The module I used #25169208 was used on GM trucks for a number of years. Terminal H receives a signal from the ECM and you wouldn't have that. I read somewhere that the truck module has a longer cable. I got mine off of E bay for, I think about $50 I lucked out and they cut the harness wires so I got the plug.

Here are three web sites that I used to verify my original info. The first one being the most useful. I originally found a better one but, I lost the bookmark and couldn't find it again.

You want GM cruise control on your cable driven TB - LS1TECH

GM Cruise Control How-To Info

Retrofit of 1990's chevy truck cruise control to a Trifive [Archive] - TriFive.com, 1955 Chevy 1956 chevy 1957 Chevy Forum , Talk about your 55 chevy 56 chevy 57 chevy - Belair , 210, 150 sedans , Nomads and Trucks, Research, Free Tech Advice

I'm pretty good at searching the web but the info on this kind of thing seems to be a bit scarce, and I haven't found anything about using any other module. Maybe you will have better luck.

Dick
Lots of reading to do. Yea, this info, for some reason, is quite obscure. Gonna look into this a good bit. With an FE this should be a relatively easy thing to do as far as hardware.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
sojourner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 11:00 PM   #323
Bus Nut

Quote:
I have posted pictures and wiring diagrams on my web site. Module is made to work on accelerator pedal, partly because the engine is in the back and, I was told, but not verified that it isn't strong enough to pull against the governor. I has recently occurred to me that a steering wheel button assy could be done using a four relay RC module.

Link to web page.
Cruise Control

Enjoy,
Dick
On the disengage circuit, does the switch need to remain open to disengage (terminal "D"/#92) or simply momentarily break the circuit and will not engage until one hits the resume on "C"/#85? If this is the case, I could simply wire in a 12VDC relay powered by the brake pedal switch to break the circuit with the brake engaged and a momentary off to manually disengage the unit.
I am an sojourner in the earth; hide not Your Commandments from me. Psalm 119:19

Here is the patience of the saints; here are the ones keeping the commandments of YAHWEH, and the faith of Yahshua. Rev. 14:12
Old 09-01-2016, 07:29 AM   #324
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: AARE
Engine: 3116 Cat 250hp
Rated Cap: Just the two of us.
Quote:
On the disengage circuit, does the switch need to remain open to disengage (terminal "D"/#92) or simply momentarily break the circuit and will not engage until one hits the resume on "C"/#85?
The switches are momentary, you only need to break the circuit for it do disengage. It will only "resume" by hitting the resume button. Just like in a car it will remember last setting as long as it has power to the module.

Quote:
If this is the case, I could simply wire in a 12VDC relay powered by the brake pedal switch to break the circuit with the brake engaged and a momentary off to manually disengage the unit
Are you talking about the brake light switch or the brake pedal switch? I assume but never tested, that the unit will disengage when it "sees" power to the brake lights. Why else would it even be involved. The biggest problem I see with air brakes that use an air pressure switch to turn on the brake lights is you have to actually apply the brakes to turn them on. With the switch on the pedal, as soon as you touch the pedal it will disengage. It's also handy to disengage by simply touching the brake pedal. The relay would work, but why use a relay when a simple switch will work? It also adds two more wires. If you have hydraulic brakes, you probably have a pedal switch, then the relay makes more sense to me.

Does anyone else remember when cars used a pressure switch for brake lights?

Quote:
With an FE this should be a relatively easy thing to do as far as hardware
True, make sure it's strong enough to pull the governor before final mounting. Both of the buses that I know this works on are rear engine with air throttles. One is an MCI with a Detroit, he is where I got the plans. He said he tried for quite a while to figure out how to get it to work in the back and was unsuccessful, it just wasn't strong enough. I know my governor pulls pretty hard on the engine. I'm not sure how your pedal is connected, probably with some sort of bell crank, you could probably pull where it pulls.

Dick
somewhereinusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:37 AM   #325
Bus Geek

the beauty of DIY is it can be wired to stay hot either with a timer or anytime the main disconnect is on so you dont lose your resume setting at quick stops!..

I never thought about the fact with air brakes you actually have tio apply pressure to the lines to get the disengage.. although its easy enough just to hit the cancel button on the switch to cancel as well .. the brake switch would only be used when you actually do brake.. saves adding more components that can fail

-Christopher
Old 09-01-2016, 07:41 AM   #326
Bus Nut

Quote:
Are you talking about the brake light switch or the brake pedal switch? I assume but never tested, that the unit will disengage when it "sees" power to the brake lights. Why else would it even be involved. The biggest problem I see with air brakes that use an air pressure switch to turn on the brake lights is you have to actually apply the brakes to turn them on. With the switch on the pedal, as soon as you touch the pedal it will disengage. It's also handy to disengage by simply touching the brake pedal. The relay would work, but why use a relay when a simple switch will work? It also adds two more wires. If you have hydraulic brakes, you probably have a pedal switch, then the relay makes more sense to me.
Dick
I do have air brakes so I might have to wire in another switch. It would be easy though to wire a relay off the brake light circuit since that wire is very close to where I'd have to mount everything and I have a bunch of the little cube relays with wiring harnesses left over from my boat tech days (they use them on power trim and tilt). I'll have to check in to just how that circuit is activated.

Thanks for all the info and help!! GREATLY APPRECIATED!! If I ever do get the opportunity to meet you in person, the meals on me !!

Old 09-01-2016, 07:56 AM   #327
Bus Nut

Quote:
True, make sure it's strong enough to pull the governor before final mounting. Both of the buses that I know this works on are rear engine with air throttles. One is an MCI with a Detroit, he is where I got the plans. He said he tried for quite a while to figure out how to get it to work in the back and was unsuccessful, it just wasn't strong enough. I know my governor pulls pretty hard on the engine. I'm not sure how your pedal is connected, probably with some sort of bell crank, you could probably pull where it pulls.

Dick
I wonder what the travel length is on these units? By the way, I just got three (two good and one for parts) off ebay for about $30.00. I'm thinking a lever on the throttle arm to match the travel length should get us the needed pull.

Old 09-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #328
Bus Crazy

That's a really good deal. I don't know travel, I didn't need much. In one of the links, I think the third one, one of the guys rigged up a pulse generator to bench test, I think using an Uno. That could be done to check travel if needed.
Old 09-01-2016, 04:12 PM   #329
Bus Nut

Quote:
That's a really good deal.
Time will tell. Time will tell. Ebay is for gamblers when buying used stuff.
Here's what I got:
1990's GMC Chevy Cruise Control Motor | eBay

If nothing else I should be able to make one from all the parts.

Cool idea n the pulse generator to check things. Unfortunately what I have in metalworking and woodworking tools I lack in electronics toys. Maybe gonna have to work on that some day !

Old 09-01-2016, 05:30 PM   #330
Bus Crazy

Since the covers are off you should be able to check travel.
Old 09-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #331
Mini-Skoolie

Do you have any problems with the cruise kicking out on you on a hill that slows you down? I know some cruises have a tolerance of only 5-10mph and will "cancel" if that's exceeded from what speed is set. Hope that makes sense
Eric

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
daddyoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 07:10 PM   #332
Bus Crazy

I didn't notice it, but so far haven't been in many hills.
Old 09-01-2016, 08:42 PM   #333
Bus Geek

Year: 1935
Coachwork: Superior
Chassis: Chevy
Engine: 317 ci/tid / Isuzu
I've had quite the opposite happen. Once the load exceeds the ability of a wide open accelerator, the tranny shifts down into the next lower gear and even into low on a really steep grade. RPM's go from next to nothing to red line in a heart beat and threaten to take the engine out before I can take the thing out of cruise. This has happened in my Crown Vic, Chevy S10, GMC Sonoma and even my Isuzu turbo powered Skoolie. Now I just automatically turn off cruise before I reach even a moderate grade.
Jack
ol trunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016, 08:58 PM   #334
Bus Crazy

I'll have to check that out to make sure. I don't usually use cruise in hills anyway.
Old 09-01-2016, 10:33 PM   #335
Mini-Skoolie

That's where I usually like the cruise, hit a long hill, lock the cruise on and let the governor restrict the diesel back and it climbs the hill safely and at full throttle allowed. On a diesel engine that is....

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
daddyoften is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 05:34 PM   #336
Bus Crazy

Towel bars

I got tired of not having anyplace to hang wet towels. We now have four new ones in the bathroom. I played around with my new planer, cut down an oak 4x4 post that was part of the old barn.

I'm going to have to put a door on that shower pretty soon.
Dick
Old 09-04-2016, 03:49 PM   #337
Mini-Skoolie

Somewhereinusa

Goes nicely with that custom copper faucet!
Canned Ham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 04:05 PM   #338
Bus Geek

I never had a cruise on any vehicle over-rev the engine... they do the same as full throttle..

in modern cars the transmission is electronically controlled (since about 93 and up).. so the cruise can force downshiftrs but the rev limiter still keeps you from blowing the engine..

on our cruises we arent integrasting to the ECM (if there is one).. so its no different than just flooring it.. if ther governor is mis-adjusted yeah you can over-rev....

the one thing thats really nice on my new Silverado is when you go DOWN hill it downshifts the transmission to maintain speed as best it can..

-Christopher
Old 09-04-2016, 09:56 PM   #339
Bus Crazy

Year: 2000
Chassis: Blue Bird
Engine: ISC 8.3
My bus has that "downshift to limit speed when on cruise control" feature too. Just had to put in a plug for non-mechanically-controlled engines.
family wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:14 PM   #340
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2000
Coachwork: Mid Bus
Chassis: Chevy g30
Engine: 6.5l turbo diesel
Rated Cap: 16+1
Wow what a build! Im guessing you got the bus at Tillery? I only ask because i live here in Moriarty! Just joined and ran across this thread, read and enjoyed every page! Great job!