Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-22-2015, 05:09 PM   #21

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: 3800
Engine: DT408, AT545
Rated Cap: 23 500 gvw
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephod_beeblebrox2 View Post
For pee, I might pee in the sink and let it drip out with the grey water [emoji14] it'll be so dilute that it'll be the same as the amount of faecies you get off banknotes.
Please tell me that you are not peeing into the kitchen sink.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
crazycal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 05:14 PM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1994
Coachwork: carpenter
Chassis: international
Engine: 466dt
Rated Cap: 59
Why not? Its just pee!
Zephod_beeblebrox2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2015, 07:26 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zephod_beeblebrox2 View Post
Why not? Its just pee!
Knock yourself out.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 03-22-2015, 07:28 PM   #24
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Chassis: B3800 Short bus
Engine: T444E
Rated Cap: 36
Hahaha.. can't say I haven't done it myself! Though not on a regular basis
Old 03-22-2015, 08:08 PM   #25
Skoolie

I lived with a "high-tech" composting toilet for over a year. (Joking) It was a five gallon bucket that slid under a 2x4 frame that had a toilet seat attached.

I was living off-grid and had a large garden, and composted a LOT. I had a humanure pile (a four foot cube of cinderblocks) which was separate from the garden compost pile, so all waste was re-cycled, not thrown in a dumpster. I also threw my weedy/seedy yard waste in the humanure pile. Although I have never heard of using coffee grounds before, I can venture an educated guess as to why it would be used.

Compost requires a ratio of "greens and browns" to decompose. The higher the brown ratio (sawdust, sticks, cardboard, dried leaves) the slower and cooler the composting will happen. The higher the "greens" ratio (grass, vegetable scraps and materials with a high nitrogen-content) the faster and hotter the composting will be.

I have no experience with any commercially made composting toilets. I have read a bit about a few, and know there are several methods they employ, (dry, wet, churned, containerized, incinerated etc.) but not knowing your exact model/setup, I am just volunteering my personal knowledge of composting in general.
I personally would not want the composting action happening indoors for various reasons. (fire being one with a 'hot' pile, which would be unlikely with a small container -a few gallons- that is frequently churned btw)

The only reason I can see for the coffee grounds is the high nitrogen factor. It is a great starter for a "cold" compost pile. If the sawdust humanure is truly being used for compost, it will speed up decomposition, a lot- depending on the ratio. Generally speaking, without adding greens, the humanure will not be ready to use for two years or more. I added a lot of greens to my pile because of the added heat it creates, which can kill a lot of pathogens and seeds. My pile's volume decreased by more than half within months of adding a mass of green yard debris. Also know that a higher urine content will slow down a working compost too (this is true of pissy horse manure from mucked out sawdust stalls too)

On a slightly different note-
With the bucket method, emptying every few days into a nearby compost heap, you wouldn't have to worry too much about totally drying the grounds. Just storing them in a jury-rigged strainer of sorts would be sufficient, as long as they aren't dripping wet.

I did empty my bucket every few days, not because I had to, but because it was easier to carry a partially full bucket. I also did not need to use a liner, because I was not dumping into a public trash receptacle. Always start with a base of sawdust to keep things from sticking. A toilet bowl brush (kept at the compost pile) will knock off any moist sawdust. Alone, I could go ten days to two weeks before I _had_ to empty the bucket, but twice a week was easier for me.

I plan to use a similar setup when I build my conversion. While on the road, I will use liners if there is no composting available, otherwise, I think I will utilize the addition of coffee grounds with the sawdust should I be wild camping with a cat-hole for disposal purposes- i like the idea of speeding up the process under those conditions. fwiw, i also plan to employ some sort of urine diverter as well. Those details remain to be decided though.

I will say, the smell is less than a regular toilet UNLESS there is a high volume of urine- which smells even worse when multiple people, especially a mix of men and women, use the same bucket to pee. (Keg parties come to mind )
SassyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 06:31 PM   #26
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
As always great info on the crappiest topic.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:01 AM   #27
Skoolie

Quote:
nat_ster
As always great info on the crappiest topic.
Good one Nat!
SassyLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:07 AM   #28
Bus Nut

I love the fact nobody talks **** on this forum [emoji14]
Old 03-24-2015, 07:09 AM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Chassis: thomas
Engine: 8.3 cummins
Rated Cap: 11 window
thanks op, you just saved me1000.00 bucks. looks like im joining the bucket brigade!
superdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:11 AM   #30
Bus Nut

I built my toilet this weekend!
Attached Thumbnails
uploadfromtaptalk1427199058756.jpg  
Old 03-24-2015, 07:19 AM   #31
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Honestly, I think its way smarter to fashion a composting toilet ones self. A thousand dollar throne sounds more fit for the loo in one of Al Gore's charter jets.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 07:52 AM   #32
Bus Geek

Year: 1992
Chassis: TC2000 FE
Engine: 190hp 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
Honestly, I think its way smarter to fashion a composting toilet ones self. A thousand dollar throne sounds more fit for the loo in one of Al Gore's charter jets.
After researching and using a bucket toilet for 6 months, I could not agree more.

Nat

Patently waiting for the apocalypses to level the playing field in this physiological game of life commonly known as Civilization
nat_ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 08:21 AM   #33
Site Team

Year: 1988
Coachwork: ward
Engine: dt360a
Rated Cap: 65
i have been experimenting. i have peed in the compost toilet i built for a month. i have left it in the toilet for a month! temps have been rising up to the mid 80's and there is still no smell!!! just a little pine mulch after every pee and all is well. so i can safely say that i can use it and dump it every week and it will be good to go!
claydbal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 06:02 PM   #34
Bus Nut

I'm just a cheap arse. Hence my $3 bucket and $2 lid from Walmart. I have a box of catlit that I will try. Can't wait to move into my bus to try out my new toilet!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:30 PM   #35
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by EastCoastCB View Post
I agree also.....I'll be doing some experimenting in the very near future!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:36 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Could even try the Eastern European method... Just open the back door and do it in traffic!
Old 03-25-2015, 10:45 PM   #37
Skoolie

Year: 1993
Engine: 5.9 Cummins
Rated Cap: 66 Passenger
The idea of building a greenhouse on the back of my bus is a definite possibility for me. I hope I can actually "compost.' As it would be really beneficial.
Old 03-25-2015, 11:45 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by MuddaEarth View Post
The idea of building a greenhouse on the back of my bus is a definite possibility for me. I hope I can actually "compost.' As it would be really beneficial.
Peeing in the kitchen sink is where you wash your dishes is bad enough but using human compost to grow your food is downright disturbing.

You Gotta Let Me Fly
Old 03-26-2015, 12:19 AM   #39
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Some actual info on human waste as fertilizer-
The Stink About Human Poop As Fertilizer - Modern Farmer

Our town has a garden fertilized with human waste right at the treatment facility.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015, 04:04 AM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazycal View Post
Peeing in the kitchen sink is where you wash your dishes is bad enough but using human compost to grow your food is downright disturbing.
Don't be so prissy. Better to use the nutrients than dump it all at sea. It is organic and recyclable.