Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2017, 10:55 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Subfloor just about done!

Feels good to get most of the deconstruction done with. Despite sound advice we forgot to put vapor barrier down, now hoping foam board insulation that has some form of vapor barrier will hold up. Probably not, but hopeful anyway.

We laid our first stud temporarily, where our storage closet will be. Amazing how laying one stud can give us such a sense of relief. Its like a glimmer of the bus finally shaping up. We're not deconstructing anything above the floor due to budget so that leaves us to deal with existing bus crap. Any suggestions/pointers on working within existing bus walls and ceilings greatly appreciated!

Our next move will be framing the bus using the existing holes/screws (but buying longer replacement screws of same thickness to add stud to metal frame). The only concern I have is how to make the stud fit over the 1" lip a foot from the floor of the bus.
Attached Thumbnails
20170429_173448.jpg   20170429_173556.jpg  

mjfreespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:25 PM   #2
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You really shouldn't need a vapor barrier on your floor. Beyond that a number of us have depended on the sheets of styrofoam insulation to be a vapor barriers for our walls and ceilings. It conforms quite well to the curves and it is covered with mylar on one side. It's not quite as continuous as vapor barrier but it is stopping air flow.
Old 04-30-2017, 07:21 AM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 1993
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: Ford B600
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 20 person
Looks nice! We are almost at that point. We hope to start laying the floor this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Youtube - bit.ly/TheBowserJournal
BowserJournal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:00 AM   #4
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post
You really shouldn't need a vapor barrier on your floor. Beyond that a number of us have depended on the sheets of styrofoam insulation to be a vapor barriers for our walls and ceilings. It conforms quite well to the curves and it is covered with mylar on one side. It's not quite as continuous as vapor barrier but it is stopping air flow.
Yeah that's my approach.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:06 AM   #5
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
Depending on the type of floor you put down you can still do somewhat of a vapor barrier. The "paper" im putting down under my hardwood floor acts as a vapor barrier, eliminates squeaks, sound absorbtion. Its $15 for 200 sq ft at home depot. Brand is called SVS barrier or something. The one roll did my entire floor.

Sent from my LGLS775 using Tapatalk
BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 05:06 PM   #6
Almost There

Year: 2004
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: Cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 42
Since your stud isn't load bearing you can set your saw blade at the depth of the lip and simply make a groove that the lip fits in. Might take two passes of the saw blade since that lip is probably a little thicker than your blade. Does that make sense?

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
ghodges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:34 PM   #7

Vapor barrier

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurlKing View Post
Depending on the type of floor you put down you can still do somewhat of a vapor barrier. The "paper" im putting down under my hardwood floor acts as a vapor barrier, eliminates squeaks, sound absorbtion. Its $15 for 200 sq ft at home depot. Brand is called SVS barrier or something. The one roll did my entire floor.

Instead of something like Tyvek?
Perfesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #8
Bus Nut

Year: 92
Coachwork: Thomas Built
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 5.9L
Rated Cap: 77
If tyvek is that house wrap stuff, no. The stuff im talking about goes between the subfloor and then the floor you will actually see. The stuff i got is compareable to red rosin paper, but better and more efficient. It acts as the vapor barrier to stop any moisture that could come up and ruin your hardwood floor which leads to warpage and stuff. It may or may not be what you need. I only used it on my floor.

BurlKing is offline   Reply With Quote