Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #221
Bus Crazy

Year: 1997
Coachwork: Bluebird
Engine: DT466E
Rated Cap: 34

But some of us NEED our weekly 'interlock issue' fix.

The Busted Flush
plfking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:00 PM   #222
Bus Geek

Coachwork: 97 Bluebird TC1000 5.9
You've got to learn to really savor the good interlock issues. I have been brought to tears a few times on this issue. It's the little things that make it all worth while.

I swear they made that interlock circuitry tricky from bus to bus. My interlock system is still fully intact until the time when I actually know what I'm doing enough to remove it. That's not likely. So far I just tie the door handle with paracord so it can't be opened from the outside. That way I don't have to constantly lock and unlock them when I'm in town visiting different stores. Low tech, or no tech.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #223
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Chassis: T/C 2000 28 foot Handy Bus
Engine: Cummins 5.9 Mechanical
Rated Cap: 2
Just start at the front and get rid of all those silly wires you dont need anyways.
Nothing to it
Attached Thumbnails
20180203_165321.jpg  
Rivetboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:19 PM   #224
Traveling

Year: 2003
Coachwork: BlueBird
Chassis: TC2000
Engine: 5.9L Cummins
Rated Cap: '00
HEEELLLLP !!!!!!!!!

MY BUS WON'T START !!! I'm parked on the sidewalk and need to MOVE !!!

I was just taking out all those wires- WHY is there so many wires? And now it will NOT start !!!

After I removed the big black box thingy, it won't start and I brought it all down to the recycler already.

Do I need to hook-up the switch to the engine or can I just connect the 2 wires by long, brown thing?

There was a few sparks when I cut some wires, but I don't think they went to anything. I hooked the 2 batteries together, but not sure if I did it right- do the red ones go together, or is it the black wires???

SOOOOOMEBODY PLEAAASE HELP !!!!
Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2018, 10:22 PM   #225
Bus Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin97396 View Post

My interlock system is still fully intact until the time when I actually know what I'm doing enough to remove it. That's not likely.
Same here. The entire electrical system is the only thing I'm doubtful of having enough knowledge to handle. I'm a little long-in-the-tooth to be learning new things, but I'm going to HAVE to learn this. It's daunting even knowing how/where/with what to begin. I don't have any issues right now, but you just know those gremlins are just biding their time.

The Busted Flush
Old 02-06-2018, 10:41 PM   #226
Bus Geek

Rusty, you just made me shed a tear remembering all those interlock issues. At times I was positive someone was just pulling a joke on all of us with the no start issues. I have to empathize with anyone that's stuck with a bus that won't start. That doesn't stop it from being really funny sometimes.

Plfking, I have a bad relationship with electricity. Weird things happen. Electrocuted once and now I can't keep a watch running.
Old 02-06-2018, 10:44 PM   #227
Traveling

Dunno- I think it's like a Band-Aid- yank-it off and get it over with.

It'd be worse to be on this Board for 7 years, 8,234 posts, and begging for help starting the bus.

Release the Interlocken !
Old 02-06-2018, 10:50 PM   #228
Bus Crazy

Quote:

Plfking, I have a bad relationship with electricity. Weird things happen. Electrocuted once and now I can't keep a watch running.
Can totally sympathize. When I was 11, I grabbed an ungrounded refridgerator door handle and pulled the whole thing over on top of me, being electrocuted the whole time. Now, I can't even unscrew a receptacle cover without breaking into a sweat.

The Busted Flush
Old 02-06-2018, 11:10 PM   #229
Bus Geek

Yeah, I could start chopping out wire. I actually foamed most of the wiring into place. It's not real visible anymore. Yeah, I know. It seemed like a good idea at the time. The only electrical issue I've had is a shorted out clearance light that will autocorrect when I go LED. Considering my reputation with electricity, if it's not broke I don't mess with it.

Actually it's working out. A couple times the interlock stopped me from leaving a door unlatched, so I decided to leave it. Now that I tie the door handles closed I don't have to unlock the doors to start the bus. When I get a bunch of lumber and plywood loaded into my bowling alley it's kind of hard to get back there to lock and unlock the deadbolt on the back door.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:18 PM   #230
Traveling

Quote:
Yeah, I could start chopping out wire. I actually foamed most of the wiring into place. It's not real visible anymore. Yeah, I know. It seemed like a good idea at the time. The only electrical issue I've had is a shorted out clearance light that will autocorrect when I go LED. Considering my reputation with electricity, if it's not broke I don't mess with it.

Actually it's working out. A couple times the interlock stopped me from leaving a door unlatched, so I decided to leave it. Now that I tie the door handles closed I don't have to unlock the doors to start the bus. When I get a bunch of lumber and plywood loaded into my bowling alley it's kind of hard to get back there to lock and unlock the deadbolt on the back door.
Robin- You should write a "Sticky" of all the things NOT to do. Lol. It starts off: " Oh, I did X and Y, but you definitely don't want to do that because..."

I learn more from the "Don'ts" and the reasoning behind them.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:46 PM   #231
Bus Geek

It's fun to be experimental. I've had a habit of loosing my internet service several times during this build, so I had to make things up as I went.

Everyone thinks I messed up my insulation, but I'm the one heating with a very small heater. When everyone else's plumbing was frozen, my system was still working. I'm one of the few people that doesn't have leaking windows. You can think what you want, but my low tech systems are working well.

I know I've wandered from the orthodox bus methods. I can't follow a recipe either.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:57 PM   #232
Traveling

Quote:
It's fun to be experimental. I've had a habit of loosing my internet service several times during this build, so I had to make things up as I went.

Everyone thinks I messed up my insulation, but I'm the one heating with a very small heater. When everyone else's plumbing was frozen, my system was still working. I'm one of the few people that doesn't have leaking windows. You can think what you want, but my low tech systems are working well.

I know I've wandered from the orthodox bus methods. I can't follow a recipe either.
I can't do anything without the Internet, it seems. You think you know a few things, but these kids today with their wacky methods, sometimes works.

I used to worry about missteaks, but I don't anymore. Just cut another piece, start-over. If it sucks, tear-it out when you can't stand it anymore.

I like your parachute idea, was toying with pocket doors, etc.

Let me know if you ever want me to pack your parachute for you. I always wanted to pack one to see if I could stuff it all in the bag.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:45 PM   #233
Bus Geek

The mistakes I'm reporting involving buses have happened over a 30 year period of time involving five buses. It would be hard to put that many mistakes into my current bus over the past couple years. Absolutely you either adapt to mistakes or fix them. A lot of my mistakes turn out to be happy accidents in my opinion. I'd bet you that the tared floor in that first bus still has good rust free steel. The plywood is rotted again due to the window design but that tarred floor has got to be nearly as good as a bedliner floor. Yes, I frequently try alternative materials. It's not a mistake because I done it on purpose.

Fifty years ago each of us would likely have a fairly large library of books relating to what we're trying to accomplish. I surely enjoy the internet but don't want to become dependent on it like the millennials and others. Our entire web communication system could be wiped out fairly quickly.

I also wanted pocket doors. As you know the bus ceiling isn't flat enough to allow a pocket door to slide to the side without having a door jam about forehead level without a roof raise. My bus already hits a lot of branches on the backroads so a roof raise just doesn't sound like a smart plan for this van.

You've also got to keep in mind that this is not a motorhome that I'm building. It's a fishing cabin. A minimalist build by comparison standards. I'd need a bendy bus to put in everything I want to have.

My parachute was originally purchased to be a sun shade while boondocking. Like much used military equipment my parachute has all the lines cut to make it unserviceable. Last summer I was having so much trouble with bees that I strung up the parachute inside the bus. As the bees went away and the cold weather started I noticed how much warmer it was in the center section of my bus under the parachute. About 5 degrees warmer surprisingly.

You would not believe how small this parachute can get. This is a big parachute and it can easily fit in a five gallon bucket. At times you can purchase the cargo parachutes that should easily cover an entire 40' bus providing shade on both sides of the bus. I'm pretty sure you could rig a parachute up into a sail for your bus on cross country trips if the winds were favorable. Take sailboarding to a new level.
Old 02-07-2018, 03:26 PM   #234
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Was a mechanic for almost 45 years when I moved into this house ten years ago I moved almost a pick up truck load of Chilton, FactoryTraining Manuals Bulletins ect Since then I have had no need to buy anything but an internet connection There has been nothing I cannot find except the easy way to remove the rubber floor from my skoolie!
Old 02-07-2018, 04:12 PM   #235
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Maybe this???

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-Shor...SABEgI8wPD_BwE
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:15 PM   #236
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gdog 5651 View Post
Was a mechanic for almost 45 years when I moved into this house ten years ago I moved almost a pick up truck load of Chilton, FactoryTraining Manuals Bulletins ect Since then I have had no need to buy anything but an internet connection There has been nothing I cannot find except the easy way to remove the rubber floor from my skoolie!
The rubber/vinyl in mine was glued to plywood. This is common, although it seems also common that the rubber/vinyl can be glued straight onto the steel. I don't know which you have.

In my case, I was able to peel it up in very large pieces once I got an edge started. That said, it is thick and very heavy. I worked out that there was over 300 lbs in weight, just in the vinyl.

That was a day I'd like to forget, my arms ached for quite a while.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2018, 04:26 PM   #237
Traveling

My bus had carpet. It was thin commercial carpeting with no pad, glued right to the plywood.

I grabbed an end and yanked-it up in one, large dusty pull. Glue was a bit of a pain, but used Henry's to get it off. I forget what- this is my build post , should be in there somewhere. It worked good if you were patient and didn't try to do too large of an area at once.

That thing that Tango posted- Some folks calls that a sling blade, but I calls it a Kaiser blade. Mmm hmm.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:32 PM   #238
Traveling

Quote:
Books are heavy. Old FSM's are worth some coin. ChiltonsHaynes never taught me anything. I do have the complete Mitchell repair series, but I don't bother.

I like to go to the forums for up-to-date info. Latest-greatest, along with the trials and tribulations. Like this place.

LP Records are heavy, too. Funny how I never thought of tools as heavy. My CNC knee mill has to be 2500 lbs., but rolls nicely on some sch 40 black pipe.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:16 PM   #239
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Chassis: Bluebird
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/Allison
Rated Cap: 74
Yes tools are fun Books are necessary I have an ironworker former and punch press machine that I am sure weighs 2 tons. funny when theives broke into the shop at the other house that's the only thing they didn't steal.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:19 PM   #240
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Yes tools are fun Books are necessary I have an ironworker former and punch press machine that I am sure weighs 2 tons. funny when theives broke into the shop at the other house that's the only thing they didn't steal.
I ran an iron worker for many years when I was a young man. Punched many a hole, and noched many a notch.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
2003, bluebird, md3060, succubus, tc2000