Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2019, 09:26 AM   #21
Almost There

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC1000 FE
Engine: 5.9
Just took a look around and noticed the manufacturer info plates. The rear axle ratio is 3.54:1. I think that's about as low as you can go right?

lebusmagique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 09:39 AM   #22
Bus Geek

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by lebusmagique View Post
Just took a look around and noticed the manufacturer info plates. The rear axle ratio is 3.54:1. I think that's about as low as you can go right?
Just about.
That's a common ratio on buses with 19.5 wheels.

My bus came with 4.10 and for whatever reason the school swapped that for 3.42.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #23
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by farok View Post
GOOD advice!! I learned the drill bit thing the hard way - good bits are well worth their price. Never took a chance grinding without the gear, and wouldn't want anyone to take that chance either.

Chris

another thing I forgot. to mention is heat kills drill bits.. if the end is discolored you probably trashed it..

for metal I like to drill with as low RPM as i can and make progress.. I like to see shavings peel off..

just squeezing the trigger onto high speed is what mosrt people do and with hard metals that can thrash a bit really quick.
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:28 AM   #24
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
a 3.54 with 225/70R19.5 tires will result in a speed of around 70 at 2600 RPM..
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 10:56 AM   #25
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Genesis
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/3060
Rated Cap: 77
Quote:
That would be as high as they get, l.ow would be a 6.00
o1marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 05:24 PM   #26
Almost There

Welp fingers crossed! I went to the tax/tag office this morning and was told I needed some DOT inspection to verify that the bus was no longer used for commerical purposes. Sounded about right so I called DOT, who said Health and Safety does those inspections, who said I needed to talk to Salvage, who transferred me to a woman in revenue who basically said that even if I completely convert it I wouldn't be able to change the title from a bus to an RV. No one seemed to know anything about the inspection.

Determined, I went back to the courthouse to talk to the woman I spoke with because she seemed to know what she was talking about. She was busy, so I spoke to an older lady who's son's friend had converted a bus! I told her my predicament and she asked to play around with it, so I give her the title and 5 minutes later she's submitted a title change application and handed me a plate. She said it might get rejected but I'll know in about 3 weeks when I either get a new title or a letter in the mail!
Old 10-21-2019, 10:57 PM   #27
Mini-Skoolie

So??? What happened???
BlackHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:37 AM   #28
Bus Geek

Year: 2002
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE (A3RE)
Engine: Cummins ISC (8.3)
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Welp fingers crossed! I went to the tax/tag office this morning and was told I needed some DOT inspection to verify that the bus was no longer used for commerical purposes. Sounded about right so I called DOT, who said Health and Safety does those inspections, who said I needed to talk to Salvage, who transferred me to a woman in revenue who basically said that even if I completely convert it I wouldn't be able to change the title from a bus to an RV. No one seemed to know anything about the inspection.

Determined, I went back to the courthouse to talk to the woman I spoke with because she seemed to know what she was talking about. She was busy, so I spoke to an older lady who's son's friend had converted a bus! I told her my predicament and she asked to play around with it, so I give her the title and 5 minutes later she's submitted a title change application and handed me a plate. She said it might get rejected but I'll know in about 3 weeks when I either get a new title or a letter in the mail!
if you get hung up in MS you may want to consider Vermont registration. You can do it by mail. Once you have it changed to RV in VT. Then take your RV title to MS.
PNW_Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2019, 11:52 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
... but I'll know in about 3 weeks when I either get a new title or a letter in the mail!
Sorry - I asked What happened from my phone last night - not seeing that you had just posted that yesterday - my bad.
Please let us know in a couple weeks if it worked.

I am planning on buying a bus next spring. One of the things that has been holding me back is horror stories have finally finding your bus, spending time and money on it to do your conversion - and then either not be able to title/register it - or not insure it!!

Keep us posted
Old 10-22-2019, 01:24 PM   #30
Bus Crazy

Year: 1975
Coachwork: Chevy
Chassis: 8 window
Engine: 454 LS7
Rated Cap: 24,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHeart View Post
Sorry - I asked What happened from my phone last night - not seeing that you had just posted that yesterday - my bad.
Please let us know in a couple weeks if it worked.

I am planning on buying a bus next spring. One of the things that has been holding me back is horror stories have finally finding your bus, spending time and money on it to do your conversion - and then either not be able to title/register it - or not insure it!!

Keep us posted
the first thing I did, even before seriously looking at a bus to buy, was phone the appropriate authorities to see what was required - it sure made things simple because I knew what I was doing before I started - things have been going smoothly so far for me as far as the regulations go
Sleddgracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 08:48 AM   #31
Almost There

Couple of questions:

1) I've looked up and down the heater lines and found no valve to speak of. However between each section of hose there are these little things sticking out between the hose barbs. Are those meant to cut the supply of coolant off?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191023_083802.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	288.9 KB
ID:	38776

2) does anyone use pre-existing holes for running any electrical or plumbing lines? I'm not sure if these are big enough but they're exactly where I would want my solar lines to come down and go to my battery compartment on the underside, and then have my battery power come back up into a breaker box.

Name:	IMG_20191023_081216.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	246.0 KB
ID:	38777
Old 10-23-2019, 09:10 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Not sure if that is a valve or some kind of pressure relief? Maybe someone will have notes on that quickly.
As for the existing holes - I'd use them, but make sure you grommet them - and then, after your installation is done - last thing I'd do is probably plug the hole with some spray foam. I did that on a different conversion years back.
Old 10-23-2019, 12:09 PM   #33
Bus Geek

Agree with BlackHeart, looks like a bleeder valve, to bleed air out of the system. Grommet all holes.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:11 PM   #34
Almost There

Yep I flipped open the panels in front of the engine and one mentioned bleeding the air from the coolant lines so that's it.

I'll grommet them thanks for the tip.

Demolition is about 90% done I'd reckon. Between yesterday and today I removed all the panels, insulation, L-track, rubber floor, and I just took a wire brush to the whole floor. There wasn't a whole lot of rust to begin with just one spot. I'm assuming it doesn't have to be picture perfect for the rust conversion?

I couldn't get any ospho but I'd really like to get my rust converter on there tomorrow because it will be the last hot day for a while. I bought some wd-40 rust converter. I'm assuming that will work?

Does this floor look rust converter ready?Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191023_134619.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	292.4 KB
ID:	38786

Name:	IMG_20191023_134627.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	38787

Name:	IMG_20191023_134610.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	203.2 KB
ID:	38788

Name:	IMG_20191023_134625.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	306.9 KB
ID:	38789
Old 10-23-2019, 02:23 PM   #35
Almost There

Also fingers crossed I don't get hantavirus! I'm pretty sure the rat poo has been sitting long enough to deactivate, and I wore a full face mask/respirator + gloves the whole day (air chiseling was sending metal flakes everywhere). Went about 5 hours straight with the mask on and no water, so I am pretty parched.
Old 10-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #36
Bus Geek

Concrete Prep and Etch from Home Depot is the same as Ospho, just half the price.
Old 10-23-2019, 09:18 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Bluebird, Collins
Chassis: G30 Bluebird Microbird, E350 Shuttle Bus
Engine: 1995 Chevrolet 350, 1992 Ford 460
I think concrete prep and etch might be a weaker concentration than ospho but would need to double check.
If it was mine I’d work that floor down some more with a wire brush or something abrasive. More scraping maybe.
I am wondering what to save the aluminum floor track for from my shuttle bus. I’ll try to salvage it just in case.
Doktari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:22 PM   #38
Bus Geek

Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freighliner FS65
Engine: Cat 3126
Rated Cap: 15
To each their own. I'm cheap, but for me a $25 gallon of oshpo isn't too much money.
EastCoastCB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2019, 09:38 PM   #39
Bus Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktari View Post
I think concrete prep and etch might be a weaker concentration than ospho but would need to double check.
If it was mine I’d work that floor down some more with a wire brush or something abrasive. More scraping maybe.
I am wondering what to save the aluminum floor track for from my shuttle bus. I’ll try to salvage it just in case.
I found them to be near identical in all but price.
Never said Ospho was too much, only that it is more expensive.

They are both basically phosphoric acid in about 45%.
Old 10-31-2019, 01:21 PM   #40
Almost There

Well the title went through! It's now an RV according to the state of Mississippi. Turns out that wd-40 stuff did nothing. I ground down the floor and now I'm just waiting for a hot day in a few weeks to use the ospho.

Was wondering what the consensus is on a dash/driver's area rebuild on an FE? I was going to pull up the rubber floor and put in a new drivers seat but all the nuts on the underside for the seat and pedals are hidden and difficult to access by all sorts of engine stuff. It also looked like the seat bolts didn't actually have any nuts on them??? I'd have to go back and look.