Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2022, 04:20 PM   #121
Bus Nut

Year: 1990
Chassis: Crown Supercoach
Engine: Detroit 6-71TA, 10 sp.
Rated Cap: 90 (40')
Quote:
Originally Posted by musigenesis View Post
Ha ha, I guess I don't wish that. I think my hinges were $2.50 a pair or something like that. I'm lucky I can rest my cabinet doors on my head to keep them open.
If only you knew the mental gymnastics I had to do to justify those hinges. I waffled over them for a week. In the end I'm very happy with them since they do four things quite well: they hinge, hold the door open, keep the door from slamming closed, and hold the door closed when travelling.

Speaking of boondoggles... I spent another $25 on this shift knob emblem. Waste of money? Yep. But it makes me happier than almost anything else I've done to the bus.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Before.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	67162Click image for larger version

Name:	After.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	67163
Before and after

Tejon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:16 PM   #122
Bus Crazy

Year: 2003
Coachwork: IC / Amtran
Chassis: CE300
Engine: International T444e
Rated Cap: 23
Lol. Looking at that diagram I can fully understand your excitement.

Our Build: Mr. Beefy
TheHubbardBus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 12:45 PM   #123
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
I like your overhead cabinets. How tall are the front of them? Could you post more info about the ebay listing for the hinges. Thanks!
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2022, 05:26 PM   #124
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
My kitchen overhead cabinets have top-hinged doors with stainless-steel bar pull handles; surprisingly, these handles are magnetic. (I guess they're either a magnetic stainless, or maybe they're just stainless-plated mild steel. Who knows?) The ceiling will be covered with sheets of FRP with some thin insulation behind it, and this gave me an idea for the cabinet doors. If I put some powerful rare-earth magnets behind the FRP exactly where the door handles will touch the ceiling, then they'll hold the doors fully open without any visible struts or needing expensive European hinges. I see no reason this won't work!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 12:28 PM   #125
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by flattracker View Post
I like your overhead cabinets. How tall are the front of them? Could you post more info about the ebay listing for the hinges. Thanks!
Thanks and sorry for the slow reply!

Our over-sink cabinet is a little over 15" tall including steel framing. The opening is about 13" tall and the cupboard depth is also about 13". This was about as small as we could go and still comfortably fit a dinner plate standing on edge.

The over-stove cabinets are 13" tall overall (11" opening) to allow room for the chest freezer door to open all the way.

Here is an Ebay listing to similar hinges:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/17514380767...gAAOSw~ehi3e7s
If you search "Ikea Utrusta Horizontal" on Ebay or Google you'll find them. There seem to be two styles: the older ones like I bought are cheaper and have a more 'square' profile (the height and depth of the hinge are almost the same). The newer ones are more expensive and are much deeper than they are tall, which would not have worked well with my curved roof.
Old 08-09-2022, 10:33 PM   #126
Bus Nut

Year: 1986
Coachwork: Crown
Chassis: Supercoach
Engine: Cummins 350 big cam
Rated Cap: 86 passengers?
Thanks for the information. I have been trying to determine the optimum dimensions for mine so that the wife can use the kitchen without bumping her head into them. I used the hinge info you provided to get two sets for my Crown. Attached is a picture of the battery trays in the "new Crown" as I recall you had tried to describe them for someone. I agree the picture is the easier way.
Attached Thumbnails
crown battery trays.jpg  
flattracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2022, 11:19 PM   #127
Bus Nut

I hope you like those hinges as much as we do!

Your battery compartment looks like it just rolled out of the Crown factory! Mine looks like a pair of 8Ds exploded in there at some point. Thanks for sharing that. TheHubbardBus, if you're reading this, that's what I was trying to describe a week or two ago on your battery tray thread
Old 12-01-2022, 08:40 PM   #128
Bus Nut

Big, long-overdue update here. Life has been and continues to be busy, so here's approx. 6 months of progress, barfed out in one massive post. These are my rough, unedited notes that I jotted down as I went, so there are probably a few misspellings and other errors.

Couch frame

This is the standard slide out couch design that everybody seems to use. I kicked around several other more clever ideas (at least I thought they were clever), but none of them fit our space well.. The only significant difference is that ours is steel framed. It slides out to make a double sized bed for guests. I tested it out one night and was really impressed with how well I slept. This isn’t the old backbreaker hide-a-bed!

Name:	Couch1.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	69479Click image for larger version

Name:	Couch Bed.jpg
Size:	153.8 KB
ID:	69478

We’ve decided that the couch looks like a diner booth for giants. It’s a little ridiculous, but is much more comfortable than our current couch in the house! I think it will look a little less awkward once we finish the ends and toss a few throw pillows on there.

Name:	Couch 2.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	146.5 KB
ID:	69477

Seats

Seats are all in. One of our requirements was proper forward-facing seating for 4 people. I kept the original air-ride driver’s seat. I fixed some broken parts, replaced the shock, painted a few scuffed up places, replaced the aging seatbelt and tethers, and replaced the old, slightly rusty grade 8 mounting hardware. For now, it’s covered with a $6 office chair cover from Amazon. I may try my hand at reupholstering it in the future.

Name:	Seats1.jpg
Views:	7
Size:	214.0 KB
ID:	69483 Click image for larger version

Name:	Seats2.jpg
Size:	233.0 KB
ID:	69484

The passenger seat is a Craigslist find. I believe it was in a Chevy van of some kind, but have been unable to find out who makes this seat or exactly what van model it was from. It has a swivel base and is very comfortable.
The two rear seats were from an airport shuttle van. The pattern isn’t my favorite, but it’s slowly growing on me. They are fairly narrow, but recline and are comfortable enough. Most importantly they’re safe - heavy steel frame construction with all grade 8 hardware and integrated seatbelts.

Engine hatch hinge and latches

There isn’t much under the engine hatch that I need to access regularly, but in the event that I do need to change the water pump, fuel pump, starter, etc., I did not want to have to find a place to store a gigantic, dirty, heavy piece of wood. My solution was to install a big ‘ol aluminum piano hinge and some nice stainless boat deck hatch cam latches. The finish flooring will go underneath the hinge, but be flush with the latches. I’ve already had to use this hatch several times to diagnose a starter problem (more on that later).

Engine bay start panel

Our bus came with an empty ignition panel. At some point, the school district had removed the panel switches so that the only way to start the bus was from the driver’s seat. With guidance and pictures from Crown_Guy, I got the panel working again. The starter button is decent quality, but the toggle switches are just some cheapos that I had laying around. Now that I understand how it works, I will be looking for some more robust toggle switches.

Name:	Panel.jpg
Size:	260.9 KB
ID:	69482
Engine bay start panel. The blue switch is for the 12v priming pump (see below)

12v priming pump

I installed a 12v Facet Purolator priming pump between the primary fuel filter and the gear-driven fuel pump. The design is very similar to that described by Iceni John elsewhere on this forum, and I talked about the whole process in another thread if you’re interested. So far I’ve used it to re-prime once, and it was a dream.

Battery disconnect

Added a coach battery disconnect. There was no perfect mounting spot, so I ended up sticking it way back inside the air filter side of the battery box/air filter hatch. You can’t read the writing on the switch, so I asked a 3-year-old to draw a diagram for me (it’s actually my handiwork).
Edit: I guess I intended to put a picture here?? Can't seem to find it now...

Tires/wheels/shocks

All of my tires are 9 or more years old, so I wanted to replace them. I’m switching from 12R22.5 to 11R24.5 in the process to gain an inch of ground clearance, a few mph of top-end speed, and perhaps a slightly more common tire in case of blow-out in the middle of nowhere. I was going to buy all new rubber, but have been looking for used wheels.. Nothing but severely rusted steel wheels has popped up in my area in the past 6 months. Then a few weeks ago, I saw an ad from a guy who was switching his newly-purchased 1983 Kenworth project rig from 24.5 to 22.5. I had to drive 5 hours each way, but ended up with a very good deal on nearly new steer tires and aluminum wheels and 4 “new” first-time recaps on rusty steelies for the drive tires. The steers were a good deal and the recaps were essentially free. I’m not keeping the rusty old “made in West Germany” drive wheels, but I think I’ll use the recaps for a few years until they age out.

I started with the driver’s side steer wheel and found two cross-threaded studs, leaking shock, sparklies in the hub oil, and what felt like lots of end play in the king pin. *sigh*. The brakes look good, so that’s a small win. The passenger side had one cross-threaded stud. I replaced the studs and shocks, painted the hubs, and put on the new wheels. I then took the bus to a local heavy truck shop for the bearings and king pin assessment. They strung me along for several weeks, after which I got fed up and took the bus back with no work being done. I’ll do the bearings myself, and a little sleuthing with a dial indicator showed that the king pin end play is actually within spec.

I eventually caved in and bought new wheels for the drive tires. Two new inner steel and two outer aluminum. I swapped them out myself so that I could paint the hubs and change the shocks at the same time. (this part is a little out of order time-wise, but it made sense to talk about it in the “tires” post). Just as a side note, it turned out that changing the rear shocks was just as easy with the wheels on.

When I took off the stock wheels, I was very surprised to find out that the inner thimbles on both sides were extremely loose. About ¼ were appropriately tight, ½ were finger tight, about ¼ were completely loose and backed off several threads. The studs were caked in anti-seize, which I have to believe played a part in this.

I then greased every fitting I could find and covered each with a yellow plastic cap. I also checked and topped off the differential while I was under there. I’ll pull the axles, check wheel bearings, and put in fresh gear oil before we take any big trips, but for now I’m rushed to get the essentials done so we can go camping.

Dash rehab

My wife is mostly done cleaning and painting the dash area. The change is pretty amazing. I’m not sure if it is because it looked horrible before, it looks excellent now, or if it is a mix of the two. In keeping with our theme (“this is a school bus and we like it that way”), she painstakingly painted around little accents like the 30-year-old embossed plastic labels and the shift pattern sticker.

Car wash and first camping trip!

Over two years later, we’re finally starting to use this thing. Took it up to the lake for 5 days, with a stop off at the local dam. Had some hail with a few stones up to ~1.5 inches (very loud, but no damage). Several 6-7% grades went pretty well.

Name:	Camping1.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	349.1 KB
ID:	69475

One the way home, a deer jumped out in front of me out of a ditch going down one of those grades. It was one of the few stretches of that entire road where visibility is pretty good off to both sides, but this deer had been hiding *just* out of sight in the ditch until I came barreling down the hill at 65 mph. I touched the brakes a little too hard and they locked up for a split second. The rear of the bus shimmied sideways every so slightly, I said “sorry deer” and let off the brakes, expecting to smoosh him, ruin my irreplaceable bus front panels, and possibly mess myself up pretty badly. Luckily, his little hooves gained traction on the pavement at just the right moment and he barely made it off the road as I wizzed by. My adrenaline caught up to me ⅓ mile later and I pulled off to check my pants and do a quick walk-around

Name:	Camping_drivingHome.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	246.9 KB
ID:	69474

Started painting

We started painting at the rear window. The color scheme was supposed to be black and green. The Adirondack Green is exactly what we were hoping for, but the “Black” is decidedly gray. The Benjamin Moore name for that color is literally just “Black”. I am assuming they mixed it wrong somehow, but luckily, we love the gray, so we’re sticking with it. The paint is Benjamin Moore Super Spec Urethane Alkyd Enamel. Apparently the local Hutterite colony uses it to paint their tractors, and I’d trust those people’s opinion above most.

I had high hopes of spraying the bus with single-stage urethane, but I realized recently that with my current work schedule, spraying would have to wait until next summer. That’s not soon enough, so we resigned ourselves to rolling. I’m still a little sad about that, but there are some benefits. For one, we can prep and paint small sections at a time, as we have time. For another, rolling means we can paint where the bus lives, sandwiched between our garage and fence. Lastly, the slight texture of rolling isn’t my favorite, but I feel like it distracts from small imperfections. And lastly lastly, touch-ups can be done easily.

Boost gauge

I have more black smoke on acceleration than I should, so I think the engine isn’t getting enough air. The filter looks ok. I suspect that I have an exhaust leak at the manifold. It’s kind of a pain to get in there and inspect it closely, so I thought I’d gather more information first by installing a VDO mechanical boost gauge. There’s already a port on the side of my air inlet housing that connects to the fuel modulator, so I tee’d off of that. I’m excited to see what kind of boost we’re getting next time we take it out.

Mini Split condenser mounted

I initially thought that the mini split outdoor unit would only fit in the old spare tire compartment behind the front right wheel and right next to my propane tanks. Luckily, Iceni John described his over the front axle mounting setup on another thread at just the right moment. I picked his brain and he provided details and measurements of the space above the front axle. Our buses are different models, but in this aspect at least the 1990-era Supercoach and Super II are exactly the same.

Our buses have a main longitudinal frame channel that spans from the front bumper to (almost) the back of the bus. From the front bumper to just behind the front wheels, there is an additional lower frame channel stacked beneath the main one. This lower frame seems to be mainly used as a spacer so that the front suspension sits at the correct height. Anyway… long story long, I hung the condenser unit off of the bottom flange of this lower frame, using four ½” x 7” bolts, 5-1/4” spacers, and unistrut. The condenser is several inches above the front axle. Per IJ’s and my own testing, it appears that even the largest bumps cause the center of the axle to deflect by an inch or two at most.

This mounting location isn’t perfect, but I’m pretty excited about it since it frees up a huge and easily-accessible space in the old spare tire compartment.

Second Camping trip

Took 4 days off work and drove down to a local (ish) mountain lake for some camping. This forest service campground had paved roads and water + 30 amp hookups. Pretty ritzy! The adjacent site had a brand new aluminum-sided Class A. Those crazy people spent two full days washing their rig and toad. Is that how people camp at these high-falutin glampgrounds??
The new turbo boost gauge worked and verified that the turbo is underperforming. I got a max of 7 PSI boost up a steep hill. I understand that 20 or more PSI is what I should see. I’ll start taking things apart soon, looking for exhaust leaks and turbo issues. I also finally got a DD tune-up kit and some jake gauges, so I’ll soon try my hand at running the racks and making sure it’s tuned properly.

Name:	Como.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	305.9 KB
ID:	69476

Painting continues

Whelp… brush/roll painting the bus was taking too long. With cold weather coming up quickly, we decided that if we wanted the bus painted this year, spraying was the only way to go. It took a month of very busy nights and weekends, but we finally got the bus prepped for paint. I found a 180 grit nylon abrasive bristle wheel to be very useful for prepping around rivets and irregular surfaces. It was probably a bit too aggressive, but at least it was fast.

We took the bus out to my parent’s property outside of town for the final spray. One full day was spent taping, then painting took about 3 hours the next day. We got very lucky with 70° F weather in early Oct.
Here’s a brief review of the paint we used: Benjamin Moore Super Spec HP (P22 - Urethane Alkyd Enamel). This was not our first choice, but I do generally like it. It seems very similar to Rustoleum, but a little higher quality. It levels out very nicely. They’ll tint it any color you can imagine (we chose Adirondack Green). It’s relatively cheap at $70 per gallon (we used about 1.5 gallons green and ½ gallon gray). The downsides are that it takes ages to dry and literally a month to cure. It also explicitly says in the instructions not to thin it, which may scare most people away from spraying.
I’m a complete novice painter, but after doing a lot of research, I decided that leaving the paint fairly thick and using an HVLP gun with a large tip would be worth a try. I got a Neiko gun with a 2.0mm tip from Amazon for $45. I tried thinning with both mineral spirits and xylene. 20% of either thinner layed down like glass, but since I was nervous about ignoring the manufacturers instructions, I ended up thinning with 10% xylene for the final paint job. The regulator at the gun was set to 40 PSI. The end result has some orange peel texture, but we’re really happy with it. The first coat went on pretty smoothly. I didn’t overlap my passes enough on the second coat since it was harder to see where I’d already painted. I think this caused most of the orange peel, but we’re still very happy with the final product.

Name:	Painted1.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	451.3 KB
ID:	69480

Name:	Painted2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	69481

There is some more gray accent painting to do. If the weather holds out we’ll get it done this year, otherwise it’ll have to wait until spring.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:15 PM   #129
Bus Nut

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: CS RE
Engine: ISC 8.3 L 260 hp
Rated Cap: 36
The bus is looking good! Nice that you were able to get to the point t where you can use it.

Ted
TJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2022, 11:15 PM   #130
Bus Crazy

Coachwork: Crown, integral. (With 2kW of tiltable solar)
Chassis: Crown Supercoach II (rear engine)
Engine: Detroit 6V92TAC, DDEC 2, Jake brake, Allison HT740
Rated Cap: 37,400 lbs GVWR
Looking good!

I toyed with the idea of hingeing my two (yes, two!) floor hatches, but I want to be able to lift them from either side or either end, so for now they're still loose in the floor. The second hatch is one I made just like Crown's original one above the fuel tank, and it's above my mini-split, so now I can access it easily from above instead of painfully contorting myself under the front axle or water tanks like some ancient grizzled version of Houdini.

I'm glad the priming pump is working OK for you. Yeah! My bus also had its rear start panel eviscerated by the school district (why do they do that?), so I rebuilt it back to original, sort of. I wired it according to the generic Crown electrical schematic for RE Super IIs, started the engine with it and felt very smug with myself, then found that I couldn't stop the engine from the back. As Homer Simpson says, "D'oh". Electronicificated engines like mine are stopped differently than mechanical engines like the Cummins 8.3s and Cat 3208s that were in some Super IIs, so back to the drawing board for me. That's when I decided that Crown's three-switch start panel is silly, so now I just have a pull-out Stop switch and a momentary-push Start switch. Easy! I still don't understand the point of having separate Safety and Ignition switches; my Stop switch serves both those functions by itself. This switch grounds the ignition solenoid in the front junction box; I ran a 50-foot length of 10AWG black wire from the solenoid's ground terminal all the way back to the rear Stop switch and then to a good ground back there. Simple is always good, mostly.

I also use a VDO boost gauge (made in India, well-known for its traditional boost gauge Hindu artisan craftsmen), and it and the coolant temperature gauge are the two I watch closest when climbing long grades in hot weather. With a new air filter I get 26PSI at full welly, but now that my air filter is only one line away from the red bar on the Filter Minder I get only about 23PSI at full boost. Just bear in mind that the air going into the engine after the turbo and blower is BLOODY HOT, and 1/4" nylon DOT tubing is not really rated for heat, and when said tubing melts and blows off while climbing a 6% grade the engine has noticeably less power because some of its boost is now escaping. Don't ask me how I know about that... I now have a 10-foot spiral of 1/4" copper refrigeration tubing from the engine to the nylon tubing to absorb the heat.

I'm glad you like putting the mini-split above the front axle. For me it was well worth the extra effort to do it that way, plus I simply have no more underfloor empty space at this point after fourteen years of cramming so much stuff down there. I even had to remove my little electric air compressor's two small air tanks in order to fit it in to a narrow space under the floor below the driver's seat!

John
Iceni John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 06:53 PM   #131
Skoolie

Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DT466e 215hp Allison 2500
Rated Cap: 77
Fantastic job on your build, it's really awesome!
Like the paint colors too...
Timeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 08:49 PM   #132
Bus Geek

Coachwork: International
Chassis: CE 300
Engine: DT466e
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Love the couch - especially the throw pillows! Paint job looks great, nice color choice.
Old 12-03-2022, 04:36 PM   #133
Bus Nut

Coachwork: Girardin Microbird MB-IV
Chassis: Ford E450
Engine: 7.3 Diesel
Rated Cap: 25
Looks great!! I have used the same paint on two busses. I just finished my second and have yet to post about it. I used an HVLP on the first go around and got the orange peel texture you spoke of. I assumed it was the low pressure causing the issue. For this bus, I decided to followed Benjamin Moore's instructions and use an airless sprayer with recommended tip. Two strokes in, I found the spryer to blast out large paint gobs at the beginning of the passes. So chose to spray on any roll everything smooth. For the second coat, I gave up the spraying stress and just rolled. I ended up with the same orange peel texture, plus a some subtle roller lines. My take away is that this paint just lays on in that way. It is an industrial coating. It may not be smooth, but hopefully it's durable.
peakbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 07:58 AM   #134
Bus Nut

Wow, has it really been 9 months since I update this?! Geez. Well, a lot of work has been done and we've successfully completed our first big trip (10 days, 1200 miles). Hopefully I'll have time and energy to share more about all that soon, but for now, here's something I'm excited about:

Name:	Emblem_front.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	243.3 KB
ID:	73850Click image for larger version

Name:	Emblem_front_close.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	94.4 KB
ID:	73851
I've been wanting to get the emblem and paint details back on for a long time. After the gray paint cures for a bit, I'll re-attach the chrome bumperettes AKA teeth, put on the chrome turn signal bezels, and the front will finally be back to it's roots!
Old 09-13-2023, 09:15 AM   #135
Bus Crazy

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: All American RE 40 FEET
Engine: Cummins 8.3
Very nice job. Thanks for posting
Old 09-13-2023, 07:32 PM   #136
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1987
Chassis: Crown Super Coach
Engine: DD 6-71TAC
Looks great. That's pretty much the same color I'm going to paint mine, though I'll have more white overall. I can imagine how satisfying it is to get that emblem back on there. Cheers!
SlowJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2023, 08:10 PM   #137
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000, 40' MPV
Engine: 5.9 Cummins/B300 trans
Rated Cap: U/K
That front end looks classy, good job
Rwnielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 12:11 AM   #138
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Good Boy. Rivets, Rivets, Rivets, Stainless Steel Rivets. Don't want those big boys walking off some night. It all looks really good. Very nice color and a good job on shining up the Crown Emblems.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2023, 08:52 AM   #139
Bus Nut

Thanks guys. I did use rivets - the tiny screws that originally held on the emblems were just asking for somebody to steal them.

By the way, we had vinyl stencils made to paint the details around the front and rear emblems. I'd gladly share a digital copy if any of you Crown people want to do the same. We followed Ross' tips from this video, even using the same DecalBoy company for the stencil.
Old 09-14-2023, 11:36 AM   #140
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Crown Coach
Chassis: 40ft 3-axle 10spd O/D, Factory A/C
Engine: 300hp Cummins 855
Rated Cap: 91
Yes, I noticed the rivets. I wasn't very clear on my complimenting you on doing that. Those of us with Crowns and intact/in place original emblems are super paranoid about their theft. I've removed mine completely until I finish the outside and paint etc. Then they go back on with the hardest rivets I can find.
Crown_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote