Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-09-2009, 07:02 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1994
Coachwork: Ford
Chassis: Carpenter
texas rv requirements

anyone out there know what the requirements are for the state of texas to register a bus conversion as an rv?

we've been able to register as an rv - but as far as state inspection goes - the guys at the station refuse to inspect us because they feel like they would be lying to the government if they called our bus conversion an rv. just trying to cover our tracks and be mostly legal.

and for those other texas skoolies - I wouldn't mind chatting about being a skoolie in texas - and what your set up looks like and where you are. we will be travelling around the state of texas next summer in coordination with the texas hunger initiative, so we might end up in the same neighborhood.

-the waste-not wagoneers
http://wastenotwagon.wordpress.com

waste-not wagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 07:57 PM   #2
Skoolie

Re: texas rv requirements

That's BS. Go to a different station. I'm in Texas and had no trouble whatsoever. If you're calling your bus a conversion, then that's what it is. Who the hell are they to dispute. They're entering an area where they have no business, passing judgment on your deal. Hell, your bus is probably safer than an "official" RV. I'm in Abilene for the next month and then off to Brenham for 6 months. Good luck.
reprobate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by reprobate
That's BS. Go to a different station. I'm in Texas and had no trouble whatsoever. If you're calling your bus a conversion, then that's what it is. Who the hell are they to dispute. They're entering an area where they have no business, passing judgment on your deal. Hell, your bus is probably safer than an "official" RV. I'm in Abilene for the next month and then off to Brenham for 6 months. Good luck.
Going to the little creamery in Brenham? Blue bell ice cream yum yum
lived in austin and bastrop myself for a few years
Old 12-09-2009, 08:29 PM   #4
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Here is how it went for me in Texas. Very easy, no problems:
viewtopic.php?f=9&t=4959&start=30 (see page 3)
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #5
Skoolie

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Bluebird tc2000
Chassis: 3401-3502 ???
Engine: cummins 5.9
Rated Cap: 72

i havnt started the legal aspect of my conversion yet but if sumone says no i will probably just go down the street
we are in west texas ... amarillo to be specific , and we plan on touring this summer also

in my experience with getting cars inspected that were not up to code i just keep asking until sumone says yes normally for a 30 dollar dont ask dont tell fee
cheezypsnookle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 09:17 AM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

I've been digging around trying to find requirements for rvs in the state of texas - but haven't been able to find anything online - and the people in the offices aren't very much help either. I've told them straight forward that we're converting a school bus to an rv and nobody's ever heard of it - so they go ask their supervisor who asks somebody else and then I just get tossed through the system.

still looking for those rv specifications that make us somewhat legit.

-the Waste-Not Wagon
http://wastenotwagon.wordpress.com
Old 12-11-2009, 09:40 AM   #7
Bus Crazy

Year: 1996
Chassis: International
Engine: DT466/AT545

Below is the information I previously compiled by searching the archives on this forum. It comes from several different Skoolie.net members, though I didn't always reference the source of each tidbit:

Texas bus licensing

I think the confusion in Texas stems from the difference between a class B license and a class B CDL. From what I have read (not an expert, but I pulled this off of the DPS site), you do need a Class B license if the GVWR is over 26,000, but not a class B CDL.

From the SC Code of Laws
(J) (6) "Motor home" means a vehicular unit designed to provide temporary living quarters built into and an integral part of or permanently attached to a self-propelled motor vehicle chassis.

(J) (10) "Recreational vehicle" means a self-propelled or towed vehicle that is equipped to serve as temporary living quarters for recreational, camping, or travel purposes, and is used solely as a family/personal conveyance.

That's all I could find in the state code about what defines a motor home / recreational vehicle.

Greetings,

Basically the same for Texas, but a couple of added requirements:

It must have seating for less than 15.

If you have more than 15, it is still a private bus and not a motorhome and you need a minimum chaufeurs license or CDL.

They rent 15 passenger vans to take places, and I wondered why they only allowed that many, now I know.

You must have a certified weight certificate and pictures of your conversion when you apply for a motorhome title change.

Oh yeah, you must have liability insurance!!!
by Vern1 on Thu May 13, 2004 5:35 am
Greetings,
OK, I just went thru the whole process here in Texas.
To get the title changed from a Private Bus to Motorhome in Texas, you need to take the following to the TXDOT title office:
1. Your insurance card for the bus.
2. Your old license plates from the bus.
3. Pictures of your conversion - I took 2 outside and 3 inside, they kept 1 inside and 1 outside.
4. A certified weight certificate showing empty weight.
5. Your old title so they can change it to Motorhome.
6. Money.........ALWAYS MONEY!!!!
When you get thru, you get regular passenger car plates and a new title.
Mine says "MH" in the type category.

To drive a Motorhome in Texas, the TXDOT office told me:
1. If it weighs less than 26000 gross, you can drive it with a regular drivers license - EVEN IF IT HAS AIR BRAKES.
2. If it weighs more than 26000 gross you need a CDL-B. I don't know what the "B" stands for, but will look it up.

They inspect the vehicle basically to the same as a passenger car with added requirements for marker lights, reflectors, etc. due to length. When I got mine inspected, the inspector "rode shotgun" while I drove around the block and back to the inspection station.

Start with your insurance, it's required all the way thru the process and seems to make things work smoother if you already have the card in hand.

Hope this helps!

by system-f on Wed Oct 13, 2004 10:27 am
I just called the Texas DPS since I am rather curious about this. The Bus I am looking at is over 26,000 GROSS...or it's designed for that. The DPS said over 26k and I would have to have a class B CDL..under 26k they are not sure and are going to get back to me.

This is from the Texas DPS web site:
-----------------------------

Texas Commercial Driver License Information

All drivers who operate a commercial motor vehicle will be required to have a CDL. To determine the class of CDL, refer to section "Different Classes of CDL’s".

The law does provide provisions for some exemptions, using the CDL 2, Exemption form required. If the driver meets one or more of the criteria listed on the following page, he/she will not be required to have a CDL. However, the driver will be required to have a Class A, B, or C Non-CDL License.

Exemptions:

A vehicle that is controlled and operated by a farmer; and used to transport agricultural products, farm machinery, or farm supplies to or from a farm; and not used in the operations of a common or contract motor carrier; and used within 150 air miles of the person’s farm.

A Fire-fighting or emergency vehicle necessary to the preservation of life or property or the execution of emergency governmental functions, whether operated by an employee of a political subdivision or by a volunteer fire-fighter.

A recreational vehicle that is driven for personal use.

A military vehicle, when operated for military purposes by military personnel.

A vehicle that is owned, leased, or controlled by an air carrier, as defined by Texas Trans. Code (TRC) section 21.155.

A vehicle used exclusively to transport cotton modules or cotton burrs.
NOTE: You will need to complete the CDL-2 form, take and pass the A&B rules written exam, and pass a driving test in a representative vehicle of that class

Different Classes of CDL’s

Class A: Any combination of vehicles with a gross combination weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the gross vehicle weight rating of the vehicle or vehicles towed exceeds 10,000 pounds.

Class B: Any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating of 26,001 pounds or more, any one of those vehicles towing a vehicle that does not exceed 10,000 pounds gross vehicle weight rating, and any vehicle designed to transport 24 passengers or more, including the driver.

Class C: Any single vehicle or combination of vehicles that is not a Class A or Class B if the vehicle is: 1) designed to transport 16 to 23 passengers including the driver; or 2) used in the transportation of hazardous materials that require the vehicle to be placarded under 49 CFR, part 172, Subpart F.

---------------------------------------

So, at over 26,000 pounds you will need a Class B endorsement on your regular driver's license but not a CDL which is only necessary (by Federal Law) for Commercial vehicles. Some States do require an Air Brake endorsement on a regular license for air brake-equipped vehicles but again it's not a CDL.

Hope this helps,
Les Lampman
1982 Thomas Saf-T-Liner Pusher "Illusion"

Skoolie.net Gallery
Illusion's SmugMug site
viewtopic.php?t=4959
Diesel Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

thanks for all your research, smitty.
Old 09-14-2017, 05:25 PM   #9
Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International
Engine: 3800 T444E
Rated Cap: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by putterspitt View Post
Going to the little creamery in Brenham? Blue bell ice cream yum yum
lived in austin and bastrop myself for a few years
God Bless Blue Bell!

syntel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 03:59 PM   #10
Skoolie

Awesome news. Looks like I am off to a great start then!
dbhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #11
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Dan View Post
So, at over 26,000 pounds you will need a Class B endorsement on your regular driver's license but not a CDL which is only necessary (by Federal Law) for Commercial vehicles. Some States do require an Air Brake endorsement on a regular license for air brake-equipped vehicles but again it's not a CDL.
Actually, this is a bit of a myth.

No states that I can find require an air-brake endorsement. I suspect this became a thing when folk realized that some Canadian provinces do, but only for their residents.

The closest I could find was PA.

They do not require an air-brake endorsement, but they do require every driver with air-brakes to have a Non-Commercial Class B, regardless of the weight of the vehicle.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:02 PM   #12
Skoolie

Year: 2004
Coachwork: IC
Chassis: IC
Engine: T444e, 7.3
Rated Cap: 12
This thread is nearly 10 years old guys...

But if anyone is curious about the Texas "Motorhome" registration process I can help. I have gone through it now as of last week.
consti2tion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 10:15 PM   #13
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by consti2tion View Post

But if anyone is curious about the Texas "Motorhome" registration process I can help. I have gone through it now as of last week.

Would love to hear about a recent process as I’ll be going through it in a month or two.
polomasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2018, 09:37 AM   #14
Skoolie

Just posted this in another thread, figured I would add it here.

Here is what I just did to get mine titled/registered as an RV.
First thing I did was obtained “Commercial Vehicle insurance for Personal Use”

I then had the bus inspected just as it was a bus. (Skip this step, I’ll explain why in the next step)

Just out of curiosity I went to the local tax office to attempt to just register it as a private bus. I goofed and told them I had removed the seats. Then the supervisor came into the picture and explained that since I have modified it and it is no longer a bus that I would have to complete the conversion, get and inspection as a motor home, and weigh the bus.
I also had to fill out a VTR-61 Form, which you can obtain from here: TxDMV.GOV - Forms
You also need to bring a VTR-130U (Which you can get from the site mentioned above.) with you when you go to purchase your bus, that is the form required to transfer ownership to you from the previous owner.

Then I could title and register it as a motorhome. So the first inspection was a waste of time and 7 dollars.

The state of Texas requires 4 out of 6 things. You can pick and choose what you want.

I’ll find the list when I am at my computer and add that here for you. Here is the manual on what the state requires, chapter 11 covers a Converted Bus.

Edit: https://www.txdmv.gov/txdmv-forms/do...vehicle-manual

Here is what I did.
1. I installed an inverted to satisfy the requirement of 120v power supply
2. I installed a mini fridge powered off of the inverter.
3. I installed my “camp chef” range/oven with a small portable propane bottle.
4. I installed a “Mr Buddy” heater with the small portable propane bottle as well.

I then took the bus to a state inspection facility and asked them to inspect my Bus as a “motor home”.

After that I took the bus to a local truck stop ( Loves ) and had the bus weighed.

I then went to the tax office and brought with me these items..
Vehicle Title
Insurance Card
Completed VTR-130U
Completed VTR-61
Weight certificate
Inspection certificate
I also brought pictures of the "conversion" the kind lady at my local tax office did not request them nor did she say it was necessary but she went ahead and took them in case the state asked any question.

After all of this an around 350 dollars later I now have a legally registered Motor Home in the state of Texas.

Keep in mind my " conversion " was very rudimentary.
Here are the pictures I gave them.

When I filled out the VTR-61 I just explained what 4 items I added to the bus. ALSO! Be sure that when you fill out that VTR-61 you date it as completed BEFORE or on the day of the day of the inspection and weighing.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer what I can.
Old 05-10-2018, 09:31 AM   #15

Quote:

I then had the bus inspected just as it was a bus. (Skip this step, I’ll explain why in the next step)

Just out of curiosity I went to the local tax office to attempt to just register it as a private bus. I goofed and told them I had removed the seats. Then the supervisor came into the picture and explained that since I have modified it and it is no longer a bus that I would have to complete the conversion, get and inspection as a motor home, and weigh the bus.
I also had to fill out a VTR-61 Form, which you can obtain from here: TxDMV.GOV - Forms
You also need to bring a VTR-130U (Which you can get from the site mentioned above.) with you when you go to purchase your bus, that is the form required to transfer ownership to you from the previous owner.

Then I could title and register it as a motorhome. So the first inspection was a waste of time and 7 dollars.

The state of Texas requires 4 out of 6 things. You can pick and choose what you want.

I’ll find the list when I am at my computer and add that here for you. Here is the manual on what the state requires, chapter 11 covers a Converted Bus.

Here is what I did.
4. I installed a “Mr Buddy” heater with the small portable propane bottle as well.

I then took the bus to a state inspection facility and asked them to inspect my Bus as a “motor home”.

After that I took the bus to a local truck stop ( Loves ) and had the bus weighed.

Vehicle Title
Insurance Card
Completed VTR-130U
Completed VTR-61
Weight certificate
Inspection certificate
I also brought pictures of the "conversion" the kind lady at my local tax office did not request them nor did she say it was necessary but she went ahead and took them in case the state asked any question.

After all of this an around 350 dollars later I now have a legally registered Motor Home in the state of Texas.

When I filled out the VTR-61 I just explained what 4 items I added to the bus. ALSO! Be sure that when you fill out that VTR-61 you date it as completed BEFORE or on the day of the day of the inspection and weighing.

Hope this helps. Please feel free to ask any questions and I will answer what I can.
Thank you so much for this!! I live in Southeast Texas and am buying a bus to start this weekend This was such a huge help.
destinationearth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 10:56 AM   #16
Bus Geek

Chassis: Saf-T-Liner MVP ER
Engine: Cummins 6CTA8.3 Mechanical MD3060
Rated Cap: 46 Coach Seats, 40 foot
Quote:
Originally Posted by destinationearth View Post
Thank you so much for this!! I live in Southeast Texas and am buying a bus to start this weekend This was such a huge help.
Texas also requires a Non-Commercial Class B for vehicles with a GVWR of 26000+ lbs.

Build Thread
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 11:06 PM   #17

Vin inspection?

Quote:
Was ever any mention of having an auto theft authority inspect the bus? Here is my adventure with a homemade trailer. I had to take my homemade trailer two hours down the road for a special inspection. ClassicBroncos.com Forums

I'd hate to know they mess up the homemade MH titling process...
Old 01-24-2019, 10:38 AM   #18
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Quote:

Oh please and thank you! Gotta get my 30' IH legal in Texas, imuy pronto!
Old 01-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #19
Bus Crazy

Year: 1998
Chassis: IH 3800, 8 window
Engine: T444E w/ Spicer 5-speed MT
Rated Cap: I prefer broad-brims hats
Additional TxDOT PDF

Quote:

Here is what I did.

Vehicle Title
Insurance Card
Completed VTR-130U
Completed VTR-61
Weight certificate
Inspection certificate

Had trouble with the link on the app. Found, with the PC, the following link, which has the same relevant info on the preceding link. It is, FYI:

https://www.txdmv.gov/publications-t...vehicle-manual
HazMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2019, 07:11 PM   #20
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by haz.matt.1960 View Post
Had trouble with the link on the app. Found, with the PC, the following link, which has the same relevant info on the preceding link. It is, FYI:

https://www.txdmv.gov/publications-t...vehicle-manual
Oh thank you, looks like they changed what the form is called.