Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-30-2009, 03:25 PM   #21
Skoolie

Year: 86
Coachwork: Thomas saf-t-liner
Chassis: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 40
Re: The Bear Den (Bug Out Bus)

I just shot milk out my nose with that zombie comment.

recycler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:00 AM   #22
Bus Nut

Year: 1991
Coachwork: ward
Chassis: IH
Rated Cap: 72

The seats are out! I consider this my first milestone. I have added a lawnchair to sit and dream of interior possibilities. This idle time will take several large rum & cokes before I can move on the the wicked world of rivit removal
Have added a gallery in the pic section-just to stupid to link up to it.....................
Old 02-09-2009, 11:54 AM   #23
Almost There

Coachwork: na
Chassis: na
Engine: na
Send a message via Yahoo to drchefscott

Papabear... thats funny!! I already told the wife that if we do go get the bus on Friday (2/13) She will see me again probably around months end. If she wants me text or call me or I will be at storage with the bus!! LOL!!! She asked what am I going to do once most of the seats are out and it gets cold? My simple reply: I have a wood burning stove that I will have to install sooner than later. There is some wood sales down the street. I can also cook on top of the stove too. She said she gives up as she knows she can't win!!
drchefscott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:57 AM   #24
Bus Nut

Dear DR-Chef-Scott
It don't take long to "move in" once you get it home. Just a word of wisdom from working on cranes during my construction years. Always open that can of pork & beans before you put it on the cooktop. We use to put our lunches on the engine manifolds to warm them up. Forgot to open a can once. Operators get real pissed when they have beans all over their machines
P.S. invite the little lady over to the bus sometime after you've been working on it a few weeks. A rose, a candle, a bottle of wine, a coleman blow up matress Ain't love grand...........
Old 02-17-2009, 09:41 AM   #25
Bus Nut

Got the aux. heaters out today. It started out well. A shop vac is a wonderful tool for this project. It can eliminate all the mess with the anti-freeze. Until your generator runs out of fuel, and hence the shop vac runs out of electricity. After the clean up, life was good. I love the smell of ant-freeze in the morning-It smells like victory!
Old 02-24-2009, 09:53 AM   #26
Bus Nut

Hey Chuck, There are corn mash alcohol convertions arn't there? Whatever trips your trigger or powers your bus. good luck
Old 02-26-2009, 09:35 AM   #27
Bus Nut

More progress...........Started insulating the floor. All the sub-floor plywood looked to be in great shape. Have added 1x4 stringers the lenght of the bus with some added ones where the seats will bolt down. Then put in 3/4" pink styro insulation boards and 5/8" plywood over that. everything was "glued and screwed" down.
I bought some metal the other day to start the lift and skinning pile. 1 sheet of 16 ga. (thinnest they stocked) and 1-20' stick of 1 1/4 thin wall square tube was $158.00 SHEEEIT, The price of metal has really gone up.
Fellow Schoolies BEWARE OF EBAY, I have spent a buttload there so far and keep finding more stuff I need. Everything I have gotten so far has been in good shape with reasonable shipping.
P.S Smitty
The still idea was actually something I had thought about at one time If I would have gotten a gas motor. But, I really don't need the FED-arallies in my life any more than they already are.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:55 AM   #28
Bus Nut

And more progress on Da Den. Thinner sheet metal for the sides, less rivits, lotsa insulation, bolting some wood down, playing with some paint................
I would like to make the bi-fold door, a one piece. I've seen a couple that have been done, that looked great, but they were square on top, My door has a curve on the forward top part, so I don't know if I can make it swing out or not. Better weather will tell. UNLESS someone has seen this done successfully.
Decided not to raise the roof. It would have been another month or so before the weather would have been good enough to start that project. Working out in the open, in a storage lot was not the best place to have my **** strung all over, for a couple weeks, while I did a raise. Besides, I'm still doing this all by my lonesome. I am still going to shorten the back to make room for a bed for 4-wheelers/bikes. More to come on that this summer.
Starting to aquirre a lot of stuff for this. Need another small shed to store it all.
When it's done it should look like this

http://www.skoolie.net/gallery2/v/Skoolies/Bear+Den1/
Old 07-29-2009, 06:16 PM   #29
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Man I am still laughing...zombies! So how far are you gonna build till you tell your wife? Has she been asking any questions?
Bus is looking fantastic! I like the cockpit area already! Sucks working alone doesn't it? I am basically building an office/warehouse/moving van & even that sucks building alone!
The skins looks good. I like the idea of raising the roof starting a coupe windows back, that would look nice, you should attempt it!
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2009, 10:03 PM   #30
Bus Nut

Ezbme, Thanks. I have actually got a lot of interior work done, considering I only get to work on it a few hours a week. I'll Show the little lady in a couple months when the interior is mostly complete.
Decided not to raise the roof as it was to much work by myself and I could'nt leave my tools (welder, torch etc.) laying out for a week to do a raise. Storage yard and all. I am going to lop the rear 8' off the back and make a fold down ramp/porch for the bikes or 4-wheelers.
The bus is actually 2 blocks behind my house. The wife drives by it every morning going to work. A big yellow bus amongst all the white rv's. It stands out like a turd in a punch bowl. I'll get off my butt and post some new pictures soon.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:36 PM   #31
Bus Nut

It's funny how life changes from minute to minute. In the time it took to type my last post to now, all has changed (for the better)
Here's the deal:
It was my wifes turn to get a big purchace of something she wanted. I got a new bike the previous summer. She has been quilting for years and has always taken her work in somewhere to be quilted on those big machines. She has wanted a quilter for several years. Those things start at around $8000.00 and go up. I kept saying "8 grand for a sewing machine?" She would say "Ya but I can also start charging for my work on it. It will pay for itself."
In the mean time I got this funny bug when I came across a local school bus, in January. I just had to have it, it was there and I had some money. I bought it without saying a word to the wife. Out of pure guilt, I have hidden it (in plain sight) for 7 months now. Not to mention some of the outright lies I have told when UPS would drop things off at the door and she was home. Try and explain a 110 gal. water tank on your porch.
Anyway:
She found a barely used machine here locally and took a friend (that owns one)over to look at it. She just called me at work and said she bought the machine for $5400.00 bucks. Her friend said it's in excellent shape and a steal of a deal.
SO, She got her sewing machine and now it's my turn for a toy.
Guess what ...........I think I'll buy a bus
I'll still wait a month or so, and I'm sure the truth will all be told, But I'll have a 12'x3' industrial long arm quilter behind me to back up my story.
Thank you Bus God.
I think Jesus drives a International/wayne/DT466/Allison643, baby!

ALSO: If anyone here trys for a little blackmail, I will deny everything and move to Panama......er Texas.
Old 07-30-2009, 05:46 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 liter Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papabear
SO, She got her sewing machine and now it's my turn for a toy.
Guess what ...........I think I'll buy a bus
I'll still wait a month or so, and I'm sure the truth will all be told, But I'll have a 12'x3' industrial long arm quilter behind me to back up my story.
Thank you Bus God.
I think Jesus drives a International/wayne/DT466/Allison643, baby!

ALSO: If anyone here trys for a little blackmail, I will deny everything and move to Panama......er Texas.

This is priceless. Be sure to keep us updated on how it goes. And I would *STILL* like to see a pic of her face when you tell her/show her the bus.

Blog: https://resurrection-fern.blogspot.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ResurrectionFernBus
Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Sko...rrection-fern/
fernmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:12 AM   #33
Bus Nut

I agree with (OOPS Edit - I meant fernmistress) ... Priceless!

Makes you wonder if she has another "man" that she is attending to when you are out!
Funny how things works out! Some day she is gonna find out about the other "woman"!
HOW do you get away with a 110 gallon tank being delivered to your door with NO QUESTIONS!!?? Thats amazing!

When we talked about buying our bus my wife simply agreed to it?!
Old 07-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #34
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ezbme
HOW do you get away with a 110 gallon tank being delivered to your door with NO QUESTIONS!!?? Thats amazing!

* anxiously awaiting the answer to this one, myself *

Old 07-30-2009, 09:15 AM   #35
Bus Nut

Ok-OK'
110 gal water tank.
I am a captain in the County Sheriff Search & Rescue. The unit purchaced a large Wells Cargo trailer to haul our 4-wheelers and use for a mobile command post. We have been installing cabinets and such for a few months to convert it over. That has been my "fib" to the little lady.
"Whats in that big box?" - "Oh, thats some windows for the search trailer" The same with the water tank. MY BAD

As far as making up the difference in prices of our toys. I'm way ahead. Pretty spoiled. When I do drive it home, I will explain that the expenditure of cash on BOB (bug out bus) is ultimatly for "US". Which in fact it is. - My God, I just told the truth
Old 07-30-2009, 10:03 AM   #36
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty
Quote:
My God, I just told the truth
I think I speak for everyone here when I applaude you for your concern & honesty throughout this entire situation.

Smitty
Smitty, your bust'in my Nads here. I really feel bad for the blatent farce I have been living the past few months. I can't sleep at nights, my bones ache, I have terrible gas pains and I can't see things as well. Wait, maybe that's just age.
Old 07-30-2009, 10:25 AM   #37
Bus Nut

Wow...just make sure she NEVER gets the chance to read this Skoolie post!!!
Old 07-30-2009, 10:41 AM   #38
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Smitty, your bust'in my Nads here. I really feel bad for the blatent farce I have been living the past few months. I can't sleep at nights, my bones ache, I have terrible gas pains and I can't see things as well. Wait, maybe that's just age.

You guys are cracking me up over here.

Oh, and by the way, I think it was quite clever how you pulled that off.

Old 07-30-2009, 02:55 PM   #39
Skoolie

Year: 93
Chassis: ?
Engine: 5.9 Cummins

Absolutely hilarious... My wife thought it funny too. The same wife who won't let me keep my bus at home yet insists she gets to name it. I want to name it "The Dog House" but she doesn't like that because it is too close to the truth.

Have you ever thought that she actually knows about "Bug out Bus" and is going to continue to purchase high dollar items knowing your guilt is killing you? Pysychological operations at their finest...I wouldn't put it past any wom...person Personally my money is on this scenario. She knows and she is working you over for what she can get.

There was a great point brought up about zombies and off roading. I was going to put skirts and a Nascar style splitter on my bus(for show) but I think I might make them removable and istall brackets on the front that would accept a huge push bar(not kidding).

At any rate...I wish you "a perfect world" Papabear.

ps. I think a quilt that tells this story is definitley in order.
swhite832 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 03:46 PM   #40
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by swhite832
Have you ever thought that she actually knows about "Bug out Bus" and is going to continue to purchase high dollar items knowing your guilt is killing you? Pysychological operations at their finest...I wouldn't put it past any wom...person Personally my money is on this scenario. She knows and she is working you over for what she can get.
Hmmm...Ya know swhite has a point...husband bought bus...must break bank account....must make him pay...hehehe....