Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2020, 04:57 PM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

The Berry Bus

Hello everyone! I said I'd start a build thread and here it is!

Quick intro, we are a family of 5 +2 dogs. 3 daughters. I'm out numbered. But that's ok! We are taking the leap to build out a skoolie with the intention of moving into it full time to be able to increase the quality of our life. We want to travel, spend more time together, teach our children that value isn't just a dollar amount.

So the bus! It's a 2001 international 72 pax bus, 74" ceiling (thank God, my wife and I are both 6 foot tall so the height was a necessity). Dt466, newer tires, and runs like a top! It was in service Dec 2019.

Floorplan is still a little in flux but we'll get there.

We picked it up Feb 6, and set today and ripped all the seats out. 2 hours after buying a cheap angle grinder, we have a pile of vinyl and steel in the yard!

We had every intention of using the factory a/c and moving the inside units to better areas, but when I went to look at it and check pressure, there wasn't any. The compressor belt was removed (which we knew when we bought it), but the seller didn't know why. I pulled the shroud off the interior unit behind the door and found the return (?) line was unusually crusty and there were clear signs that the PAG oil had been dripping from it. I'm all about maintaining what is already in the bus, but due to the size, the unknown quantity of internal damage to any and all components (just based on the lack of pressure and potential that the system was open), we decided to pull it. Bad choice? Probably on some level, but we'll adapt. May use the AC compressor bracket to hang an auxiliary alternator and put a roof mount ac right over the front seating area for on the road. We'll have to see.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20200208_121254_01.jpg   IMG_20200208_130448_349.jpg   Screenshot_2020-02-08-16-58-22.jpg  

Aberry08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2020, 09:53 PM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Seats are out, a/c units are removed (any one want them for parts, let me know before I scrap them), and we are starting to remove the walls and ceilings. The plan is to order a spray foam kit asap and get it done before it gets too hot.

We did track down a brand new lg washer/dryer combo for half off, so hopefully we can grab that this week.

On another note, we have more or less finalized the floor plans based on all the interior measurements minus the planned wall cladding. Some notes about the plan:

-Freshwater tank under the bed. 55 gallon plastic drum.
-Grey water tank under the floor of the bathroom, opposite side of the bus. The idea being to somewhat balance the weight. Would it make more sense to keep them on the same side? As freshwater tank drains, grey water tank fills?
-Planning to put 2 diesel heaters, one under the back bunk and the other under the cabinet
-Eventually I will add 300ish watts of solar, 200ah of AGMs (give or take) and a small diesel generator hung underneath. For the time being we will be shore power or camping generator, but i ultimately want fuel commonality.
-Space beside washer/dryer is for the dogs. Gotta have their own little area.
-We will use a 4.4 cu/ft refrigerator with freezer. My wife is English, Her family of 5 lived the first 25 years of her life with an under counter fridge, I lived for 5 years over there with the same thing. Never was an issue and we wasted less food. We just have to go grocery shopping every 2-3 days instead of every week.
Attached Thumbnails
floor plan 1.jpg   floor plan 2.PNG   floor plan 3.PNG   floor plan 4.jpg  
Old 02-12-2020, 06:21 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Picked up a Splendid 2100xc and got a Foam-It-Green kit on order last night. I'll order the fridge today and we should be mostly good for appliances, barring the A/C and water heater. Then it's just on to the building as soon as the weather lets up.