Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2009, 06:55 AM   #21
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1963
Coachwork: Blue Bird
Engine: 640 Detroit allison
Re: The BigBlue..CastleFamilyTourBus!

Good advice, once again! We've been rightly talked into having someone look it over for us! thanks everyone for the concern. We're are now counting down to the final like 8 days or so before we're supposed to go get it...I'll keep you updated!

hmcastle55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:29 AM   #22
Mini-Skoolie

Ok well, since we don't ACTUALLY have her yet, I thought I'd put up a couple pictures of my kids. Jakob and Elliot (elly), 13 and 12yrs. old. They are SO excited about getting/living in a bus they can't even hardly sleep at night..LOL. IF the current 'BigBlue' works out, we have a three bunk room right before the Master bedroom that's already roughed in. Since Jake and Elly are brother/sister we need to have them each have their own space. I'm thinking sort of like train car 'bunks'. One on each side, removing the lower bunk on the one side to make room for built in dresser space for clothes. I'm going to make curtains they can close for privacy, little bookshelves for their 'stuff' and yes maybe even some books So that's the plan for the kid space.. other than that, they will be OUTSIDE or in the family/living area..
Attached Thumbnails
04-05-08_1329.jpg   04-05-08_1325.jpg  
Old 08-03-2009, 05:03 PM   #23
Bus Nut

Year: 1995
Coachwork: Genesis
Engine: Detroit
Rated Cap: 14

Good looking kids!

It's great that everyone is involved and lovin' the idea! Good luck with the bus hunt.
TygerCub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:31 PM   #24
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 liter Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 66

They are so cute and look like they'll be and have great fun on the bus.

We originally wanted to do something similar with bunks for our kids (16 and 12). Unfortunately, our bus isn't wide enough to accommodate such a layout without leaving us with a VERY narrow hallway. Granted, we could go with a much narrower bunk instead of the standard width but then that would be taking away from their own personal space (which we feel is very important for them to have considering their ages). So we are going with the end-to-end layout on one side of the bus. At least that's the plan for now - which we all know is subject to change.

Blog: https://resurrection-fern.blogspot.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ResurrectionFernBus
Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Sko...rrection-fern/
fernmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 07:04 PM   #25
Bus Nut

Year: 1989
Coachwork: Thomas Transit Liner
Chassis: Freightliner
Engine: CAT 3208 Turbo

Wow...they are def brother & sister! How is Big Blue coming along? Any updates??
ezbme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 08:16 AM   #26
Mini-Skoolie

An update..well sort of: The plan thus far is to go up there next Monday (17th). We've got a contact close by who's going to hopefully go out and check out her engine, fluids etc. I've actually been looking online at other buses, just in case. Either way we'll be 'visiting' next Monday to make our final decision and hopefully drive her home! Everyone keep their fingers crossed for us! thanks for all the good advice from everybody. In a week from now, maybe I'll have all new pics to share!
Old 08-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #27
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcastle55
An update..well sort of: The plan thus far is to go up there next Monday (17th). We've got a contact close by who's going to hopefully go out and check out her engine, fluids etc. I've actually been looking online at other buses, just in case. Either way we'll be 'visiting' next Monday to make our final decision and hopefully drive her home! Everyone keep their fingers crossed for us! thanks for all the good advice from everybody. In a week from now, maybe I'll have all new pics to share!
Sounds great! You guys have me excited to see BigBlue come home if possible.
What other types & makes of buses have you been checking out?
Old 08-16-2009, 09:19 AM   #28
Bus Nut

Tick Tock Tick Tock....less than 24 hours....
Old 08-18-2009, 10:20 AM   #29
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1988
Chassis: GMC
Engine: 8.2 liter Detroit Diesel
Rated Cap: 66

the anticipation is killing me

Blog: https://resurrection-fern.blogspot.com/
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/ResurrectionFernBus
Gallery: https://www.skoolie.net/gallery/v/Sko...rrection-fern/
fernmistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2009, 06:37 PM   #30
Mini-Skoolie

BOO BOO..the Mighty Bouche! Makes IT Home!

The Ultimate update! Castle Family Tour Bus makes it home! It took us 2 days to drive approximately a five hour trip. Trials and tribulations but she drove pretty good. With two kids and a dog in tow to boot! I'll be back to give the whole story, but here's a few pics to share!
Attached Thumbnails
GeigerKey09 076.jpg   GeigerKey09 077.jpg  
Old 09-12-2009, 07:13 PM   #31
Bus Nut

Hey! Good to hear you guys are back with us & congrats - your bus made it home!
2 days, 5 hour trip? Hope all went ok!
Old 09-13-2009, 06:52 AM   #32
Mini-Skoolie

Ok...so the whole story. I can't even remember the dates, it was all such a blur! After taking off 4 days (just in case) from work, Mark and I left Key West late in the morning to get through Miami and up to West Palm Beach. It took us about 4 hrs to get up there, stopping mind you plenty of times with the 2 kids and Zoe the Scottie. Everyone was all excited and then we sorta got a little lost. The owner of 'Boo-Boo' lives way on the outskirts of WPB, right in the everglades. We finally find our way around dusk and make it out to the property. We were all in AWE as we come around the corner and there she sits right out front.
We meet up with the owner, and get right out to look her over. Flash lights in hand she starts explaining all about this and that and blah blah blah. She lets Mark start her up and Boo Boo turns right over (beautiful!). We decide to go get a hotel and pick her up in the morning because at this point it's pitch dark out. There were a few red flags right off the bat, but we have to say not so bad considering we didn't go look at her before we bought her. We're just hoping she makes it home at this point.
Next morning, bright and early we go back out there to get her. She again starts right up without a hitch and we drive off down the road. Previous owner says, 'Make sure you fill up right away, cause there's little if no gas.' Spewing thick blue/whitish smoke all the way down the road, I was a little uneasy to say the least. First stop, Sunoco gas station. I have to give it to Mark because it's been a LONG time since he's driven something so big and he pulled right in there no problem. We fill up to the tune of about 290$ or so. Look her over a little bit, check fluids etc. He gets in and...She doesn't start! 2 hours later..it's the battery. Luckily, we brought an RV battery with us and after some figuring we switch it out and again we're on our way. By this time, it's already 3pm-ish. We have to pull off behind the shopping center and unload our Uhaul truck into the bus. (that's another story altogether) We had to bring all of our STUFF with us, driving the uhaul and our car to get Boo Boo. Pack, unpack..realizing that Boo Boo is REALLY skinny with not alot of storage space. We take the uhaul back and finally we can go..Or so we think. Cue in the torrential down pour..tick tock, i am just picturing Miami traffic at this time now about 5pm. Considering that the wipers Do NOT work, and Mark can't see..we decided to go back to the hotel for one more night. Figuring that would actually give us more time to check her out, etc etc.
At this point we haven't driven Boo Boo even 15 miles, so we're still not sure that she can really make the trip. In any event, again bright and early we FINALLY get on the road..Me following behind the smoke that's still burning off, and the chips and pieces of old rotten metal that's flying off down I-95 south. So far so good, but actually the ONLY gauge in the bus that seems to work is the HOT/COLD sensor. We're running hot almost continuous down the highway and Mark's gotta pull over just after roughly 40 miles or so. We check fluids again..Gallons of water and some coolant later we realize either there's a leak or something, we're not sure. We do this for what seems like HOURS, inching along about 40-50 miles..filling up..fluids/water..mix, repeat etc etc. That day's trip literally took us more than 12 hrs. When we finally made it to Marathon (last stop before home for us)..Mark wondered if it was the pressurized cap (that didn't have any pressure)..causing the coolant to just boil up and spew out of the radiator?? (any ideas here?) We could not detect any leaks at ALL in the radiator. The last stop though, we did notice a collection of fluid on the ground after we had been sitting for a half hour or so. It leaked a little oil on the trip, but she did great in that department. Remember when we had all those questions about major oil leaks. In any event, it was pretty uneventful it just took SO long. I can't imagine that's normal, because school busses go forever picking up and dropping off kids all day long..and NOT over heating like that. So that's an issue we need looking at. We are EXHAUSTED..but we're home. Considering we have to live in Boo Boo while we fix'er up...it's definitely going to be a 'story'.
Old 09-13-2009, 08:43 AM   #33
Mini-Skoolie

A few more pics of the family enjoying Key West!
Attached Thumbnails
August2009,final leg of stage one 050.jpg   August2009,final leg of stage one 048.jpg   August2009,final leg of stage one 053.jpg  
Old 09-13-2009, 10:14 AM   #34
Bus Nut

Great to hear you guys made it home safely, even tho it took a while! Are you planning on just parking Blue & living in it or are you going to be traveling in the bus? Looks like you have your work cut out for you but it looks like fun! Keep posting photos as you go...
Old 09-12-2010, 11:34 AM   #35
Mini-Skoolie

Hi all..I know it's been a long, long while for 'BooBoo' reports. We lived in our's for a year in Key West. We did alot to her. Ripped out and redid the kitchen while we lived in her w/two kids It was GREAT FUN! By this June this summer though we were DONE.. It was just too much work to do to her while living in it. What we ended up doing was giving it away to another family (with FIVE kids). Hopefully, they're doing strong..all they really wanted to do was live in it so it was good for them.
We are back in our house in Tampa, back to reality (HA HA). I think Key West was so much more Real. We learned ALOT about living in so small a space..And I've gotten panic attacks in my house now with all my STUFF! We're all 'diseased' now because the kids and I want another skoolie..And so we've started looking again!! We've started the process of having a garage sale every weekend to get rid of all the 'excess' that was our former life. After that, we'll be selling the house...for more adventure.
Either way...we're bus fans for life now. I'll post some of the later pics of what we did with the bus before we gave it away..It looked awesome at xmas time by the water. The kids made a video and sent it to the weather channel for the holidays..was kinda cool!
Heidi
Mark
Jakob
Elly
Old 09-12-2010, 02:23 PM   #36
Bus Nut

Year: 89
Coachwork: thomas
Engine: 7.3 diesel

Key West is a blast, was there in 97 for about 9 months. Buddy of mine is head of the Aquaduct. Lobstering, fishing,and all that goes with it. Would love to take my shortie down next year. Duval crawl, leave the kids at home for that one though.
Old 09-12-2010, 08:27 PM   #37
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmcastle55
We learned ALOT about living in so small a space..And I've gotten panic attacks in my house now with all my STUFF! We're all 'diseased' now because the kids and I want another skoolie..And so we've started looking again!! We've started the process of having a garage sale every weekend to get rid of all the 'excess' that was our former life. After that, we'll be selling the house...for more adventure.
Isn't that the way of it... darn stuff just keeps showing up--Neighbor calls it the "American Way!" My roommate has panic attackes every few months when I do my "cleaning" of stuff that somehow shows up in my tiny home. He's a packrat!
Seeria is offline   Reply With Quote