Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-23-2024, 11:59 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

The Blue Goose

I am in the process of converting a 1969 Chevy C60 bus into my future home, my previous experience with converted school buses was a 1965 Diamond Reo. It was a pusher with a inline 6 from engine manufacturer White. I believe it was a 340 cubic inch. Hopefully this one will be a better vehicle. I did enjoy it while I owned it though.

The Chevy presently has the 366 tall deck big block in it which I am going to be replacing with a diesel. It also has the 20 inch wheels that I am going to replace with 22.5's. a1truckwheels.com so far has the best deal I can find, but the price tag of $2000+ has me hesitating. I knew of a machine shop several years ago that said they would machine the 20 inch centers into 22.5 Budds which is what I will need but I have lost contact with them. If I go with the a1truck wheels it will set me back in time and time is of the essence.

I have located both a 24 valve Cummins and a 6V-53N both with MT 643 Allisons. Either one will suffice but a rear end change will probable be necessary. The best I can find out is the rear end ratio is 5.43 so changing that to 3.55 is a necessity. I do not want to drive it with either of the three engines at max rpm.

The first thing after the wheels and tires though is a complete brake job with synthetic brake fluid and all new components except the hubs. A rebuild of the kingpin and bushings will also be in order. I am really looking forward to this build and will keep posting as time goes along. One thing I forgot is the interior, it was turned into a deer camp vehicle about 25 years ago to include screens on the windows and covers to prevent water from seeping into it at the windows.

Thanks for letting me be a part of this.

ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote