Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-16-2017, 09:46 AM   #1
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 2001
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: T444E
the boys will call Thomas' color "Or-eh-Gahn-Oh"

We've three boys* who are all into Brit-TV, especially Top Gear, and jokingly will use British pronunciations for things. Aluminium is a favorite, as is a name for an Italian herb ....
We found our paint yesterday, Rustoleum's 2X Satin Oregano. I can hear it already "No Mom, it's Or-eh-GAHN-Oh." Stinkers.

If we weren't parking Thomas in the front yard of our home - in a small, woodsy, typical New England neighborhood I'd consider other brighter colors - but I'd like our neighbors to speak to us.

At any rate, we weren't thinking spray cans but sprayer and a good oil-based-for-metal paint. But were in Home Depot looking at spray cans for a project the hubs is doing for the game club's range and the color jumped out. Bought it and one other darker camo-ish green. Also stopped at an auto supply store for some spray "chrome" to see how that would look.

I liked it. The finish is surprisingly nice ... maybe the trick with spray paint is good surface prep, smooth & slow strokes, and in an open area? Who'd've thunk? Multiple coats won't hurt either. Always been rushed and small space before, hmm.

Even the chrome is decent. It's not shiny-glossy, it's more like a pewter finish - but lighter in tone. That would probably be better to coordinate with the satin-y medium green than high-gloss chrome.
The hubs wants to do the bumpers in black as they are now but I'm not seeing it. We'll be doing the roof in that reflective white (whose product name I'm blanking on) and four colors seems too much.
My thought with the chrome is to do the grill and the rims in it, possibly bumpers, too. There are a batch of small orange lights around the top of the bus that we've decided to keep for night visibility and the housing of those good use a good coat of spray, too.
The grill isn't a separate piece so "chroming" it is extraneous bling but I feel like if we don't do it on its own the front end may look too "army." (Not that there's anything wrong with that, just not what I'm going for.)

Only other exterior "decor" I'd like to do at this point is to get replacement decal/plaques for the Thomas & International logos. Thought about painting a mountain range along where the School Bus lettering was on front and back but want to live with the rest first then decide. Yup, artsy-fartsy type her. But like a smart girl I married and engineering nerd who knows how to use tools ... I just have to steer him away from his Red Green tendencies on occasion.

Other than removing most of the seats and giving it a good clean out as we've done we aren't doing anything with the inside this year. Next year is gut, spray foam, and line; Pergo floors, birchwood luan ceiling, wainscotting walls. Will decide stain colors later but the ceiling will stay the palest warm-colored stain possible.
Have read debates back and forth between laying down plumbing and wiring before and after finishing off the inside. We're thinking after. We live in the cold north east and really only have the warm half of the year to do construction so it's all to be in usable stages. The first couple years Thomas will pretty much be a tent on wheels.

Pics of the color samples later today if I can get a chance!

* two early teens, and one well into his 20s - who yes, lives at home but pays rent, helps out with whatever is needed, and is well on his way in a good tech career (great kiddo, not a cellar-dweller!) He thought we were nuts for getting into this project but when we told him in all sincerity that we trust him enough to borrow the bus for his own camping adventures his tune changed a bit.

UrsaLunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:34 AM   #2
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International/AmTran
Chassis: 3000 RE
Engine: 7.3 T444E
Rated Cap: 40 Passenger
I'm confused as to whether you are painting the bus by hand or if you're using a sprayer? Also are you going to prime first?

I'm at pretty much the same stage as you; I'm pretty much all primed (I rolled on the primer) but I can't decide if I'm going to roll on the final paint or spray it.
Summ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 11:06 AM   #3
Mini-Skoolie

Spray cans - pain in the butt with all the shaking but can't find anything near the color wanted otherwise. We had been looking but seemed that we'd have trial and error mix ourselves or have to spend big money on having it done for us. Also this is a quick and easy touch up. No primer but it's a really nice thick paint. The surface was well cleaned with a light rubbing of acetone, a gentle sanding, and was washed and dried with light soap and water just before paint. Did a two coat sample area yesterday and today the color (and "chrome") are gorgeous.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
Mini-Skoolie

close-ups of the Oregano & "chrome" are in my photo album
The spray paint is a "paint + primer" ... not sure what the difference is from just a paint. Saw someone here had said that a good spray paint can work quite well if applied carefully, but you may want to touch it up in a few years.
Old 07-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #5
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
buy yourself a spray finger trigger... and then always try to paint your bus ion the same wind conditions... if you paint part of side A and its no breeze.. then go back next day and theres a breeze.. you will have trouble matching the paint spray pattern... temperature and humidity play a part in how paint sprays on.. thats why rattle-canning a whole bus is tough at least to get even coverage..

when people use a gun they typically shoot all of one color at a time.. so the weather and environmental conditions are the same for the whole shoot...

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 06:00 PM   #6
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
buy yourself a spray finger trigger... and then always try to paint your bus ion the same wind conditions... if you paint part of side A and its no breeze.. then go back next day and theres a breeze.. you will have trouble matching the paint spray pattern... temperature and humidity play a part in how paint sprays on.. thats why rattle-canning a whole bus is tough at least to get even coverage..

when people use a gun they typically shoot all of one color at a time.. so the weather and environmental conditions are the same for the whole shoot...

-Christopher
Great tips! Thank you!
Old 07-16-2017, 10:04 PM   #7
Mini-Skoolie

Year: 1999
Coachwork: International/AmTran
Chassis: 3000 RE
Engine: 7.3 T444E
Rated Cap: 40 Passenger
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrsaLunar View Post

close-ups of the Oregano & "chrome" are in my photo album
The spray paint is a "paint + primer" ... not sure what the difference is from just a paint. Saw someone here had said that a good spray paint can work quite well if applied carefully, but you may want to touch it up in a few years.
It's hard to see in the picture, but is that the chrome on the black stripe?
Summ1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2017, 10:22 PM   #8
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summ1 View Post
It's hard to see in the picture, but is that the chrome on the black stripe?
Duplicolor Chrome Finish.
That is a test swatch only and quickly done, it will be covered by the green - the chrome is for the grill and a couple fixtures.

Old 07-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #9
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Wow that chrome looks real nice.
I'm real interested in what brand and type of chrome paint that is and where you got it.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Old 07-17-2017, 07:01 PM   #10
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by tobeamiss View Post
Wow that chrome looks real nice.
I'm real interested in what brand and type of chrome paint that is and where you got it.

It's Instant Chrome Finish from Dupli-Color, we found it at Advance Auto.

The "Oregano" spray paint for the body of the bus is a paint + primer, but I think I'll do a spray primer under this on the grill
Old 07-18-2017, 04:51 AM   #11
Bus Nut

Year: 2002
Coachwork: International
Engine: dt466
Rated Cap: 65C-43A
Thank you! Love your colors.

Old 07-23-2017, 04:07 PM   #12
Mini-Skoolie

Progress!

This summer has been awful in our area of the north-east for outdoor projects, so many weekends have been rainy so am feeling REALLY good about all that was done this weekend!

The outside was thoroughly power-washed. Took us all day yesterday. I feel like I know each crevice all too well. More spots of rust uncovered and loose paint over bare metal, but not enough I'm complaining. I think what's been found so far can be easily salvaged.
The removed seats were taken apart for metal scrap. Good seat-belts were salvaged.
The last of the decals is gone - including the "Thomas Built" ones I was thinking of keeping. ALL the decal residue is gone, too - oh thank goodness, 'cause those sticky bits were buggin' me sumthin' fierce!
1st coat of pain on first segment was laid down. That was three cans.

The rest of this year is paint, lights, and getting mechanically sound.
There will be two to three coats of paint then a satin clear coat on top, bumpers black, "chromed" grill and bits, and roof reflective white.
The worst is the main entry door and that's going to go, probably next year when we gut, spray-foam insulate, and put down floors, walls, and ceiling.

Old 07-23-2017, 06:34 PM   #13
Bus Geek

Year: 1946
Coachwork: Chevrolet/Wayne
Chassis: 1- 1/2 ton
Engine: Cummins 4BT
Rated Cap: 15
Are you sure that's not Mil-Spec OD?
Tango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2017, 06:39 PM   #14
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
Are you sure that's not Mil-Spec OD?
Yes. I am sure that is not "Mil-Spec OD." Rustoleum Oregano Would it be such a bad thing if it was?
Old 07-23-2017, 08:58 PM   #15
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
I love that color!!!!
-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 09:43 AM   #16
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I love that color!!!!
-Christopher
Thank you!
Last night we came up with the idea of "chroming" the top two ridges on the long sides and screwing in wide wood boards between them - stained cherry. A Woodie Skoolie.
Screw in eye-bolts to attach sun/rain tarps in lieu of awnings.
Were already looking at replacing the two-panel door with a custom wood one next year when we gut & refurbish the interior, stain the sides & door to coordinate.
Won't look quite so "military" then
Old 07-24-2017, 09:58 AM   #17
Bus Geek

OD and "Desert Tan" are two of my favorite colors.

But the new "chrome" paints do open up some possibilities. They really do look like chrome (and other metals) when properly applied. There are a couple of cars running around Houston that have this new paint technology applied. One is an all chrome body (I think it was a new Audi) and the other looks like polished copper (not a favorite), but both are remarkable. Only problem being they can be blinding in the South Texas sun.

Just saw a thing on TV where they were applying this type of finish. One guy was spraying the paint...another guy came right behind him spraying a mist of...water. And from what I could tell, the "chrome" paint is NOT water based (?). But when they were finished, it looked like the real deal.

And the rattlecan version is not bad at all. Go for it!
Old 07-24-2017, 10:15 AM   #18
Mini-Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tango View Post
OD and "Desert Tan" are two of my favorite colors.
And the rattlecan version is not bad at all. Go for it!
Thanks Tango! BTW, LOVE your vintage bus!

Gotta say I've been impressed with rattlecan - when done right. Even the "chrome." We're liking the satin finish; matte is a b* to keep clean, and glossy highlights every imperfection. The satin clear coats look good as well.

And yeah, subtle colors are really great IMO, too. Also we live in a woodsy area with a neighbor who I just don't want to hear it from. That's why Thomas isn't home yet, when he comes home in a color that blends with the trees she will not be able to say a word.
Old 07-24-2017, 12:33 PM   #19
Bus Geek

Go stealth!

I think I'm gonna' like this paint job.
Old 07-25-2017, 09:16 PM   #20