Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-02-2016, 09:11 PM   #701
Bus Nut

Year: 1998
Coachwork: Bluebird
Chassis: TC2000 RE
Engine: 8.3l Cummins
Rated Cap: 78
Do you have any sketches of what it is you want it to do?

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I could imagine you building that adjustable height Dinette to Work-table convertible thingie i want in my bus... ha!
-Christopher

aaronsb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 09:26 PM   #702
Bus Geek

Year: 1991
Coachwork: Carpenter
Chassis: International 3800
Engine: DTA360 / MT643
Rated Cap: 7 Row Handicap
Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronsb View Post
Do you have any sketches of what it is you want it to do?
not yet.. My bus got delayed again so i dont have it here yet to play with...

the gist of it is a dinette style.. 2 school bus seats facing each other.. a table in the middle that can be lowered to bus seat level.. I'll toss a couple sleeping bags across and instant cot..

then I can raise up the table to perhaps varying heights to use as work space / table.. the table would flush with the seats so its width would be that of the area between the seats.. have a hevy enough stand that it doesnt buckle when I crawl onto it and the seats for sleep..

I may buld a couple hinged "leaves" that hinge out into the seating area during the table's "Table mode". I ook at how my body feels comfortable while working.. and its sitting close to the table. . so in the raised mode the table overhangs the seats.. but in "bed" mode that can happen so id fold under the leaves and secure them..

thats pretty easy.. I just need to design and build a mechanism that can support my weight (ok im only 135 lbs.. but what if i got fat.. it still need to support me)... and I can lower and raise it..

I'll know more once I get the bus and start measuring and playing with various things..

-Christopher
cadillackid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #703
Skoolie

Coachwork: Blue Bird
Chassis: TC2000 Rear engine
Engine: Cummins 8.3; MD3060
Rated Cap: 84
I was thinking for a long time what way to go... steel or wood. I do understand your all metal way but the main problem for my understanding was how to finish all steel frames.

I use 3/4" finished plywood for all my separating walls. By the way 3/4" wall is probably the thinnest but still strong enough wall you can build.

I had really hard time to put my washroom together inside my available dimensions and 3/4" wall thickness was absolutely max I could only fit.

Also I am thinking about buying 3/4" bamboo plywood and cut a bunch of doors for every storage compartment I build on my way.
Old 05-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #704
Bus Nut

I haven't posted a pic of the whole thing in a while.

Backed out of the covered area so I can work in the shade doing fab work instead of frying in the sun. I don't know why I didn't do that the last couple weekends.
Old 05-07-2016, 01:08 PM   #705
Bus Nut

It looks awesome!
dgorila1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 01:16 PM   #706
Bus Nut

Year: 1999
Coachwork: Thomas
Chassis: Freight-shaker (Freightliner)
Engine: Cat 3126b 250 HP
Rated Cap: Only 1 seat
I agree. It is a great looking skoolie!
Docsgsxr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 01:56 AM   #707
Bus Nut

Hey look, more cabinets!

Not shown: horizontal stuff that makes that upper cabinet a little more rigid. But! This is a great example that I think demonstrates the versatility of steel tube.

All this stuff gets covered with luan or plastic or something else.

Here you can see I got tired of the PA hole. I could not seem to find a new horn the right size.

At some point I'm going to have to paint this beast for real. I was thinking of Sherwin williams shurthane 2k. Any thoughts? It'll be about 3 weeks of sanding prep I bet. Ugh.

At least i can plastic off the outdoors while I work on the finish.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:00 AM   #708
Bus Geek

I really like the steel tubing.. ive been a fan of it for a long time.. for one it will flex with the bus some as it needs to.. and another thought is that it like adds some strength to the bus depending on how you tie it in.. you can cover it with about anything you want... I really need to learn how to work with this stuff as it would be perfect for what i want to do in my bus..

lookin good!! I love this build.. the roof raise leaving the driver-house at the original height adds to the look of the bus in my opinion.
-Christopher
Old 05-10-2016, 07:25 AM   #709
Bus Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadillackid View Post
I really like the steel tubing.. ive been a fan of it for a long time.. for one it will flex with the bus some as it needs to.. and another thought is that it like adds some strength to the bus depending on how you tie it in.. you can cover it with about anything you want... I really need to learn how to work with this stuff as it would be perfect for what i want to do in my bus..

lookin good!! I love this build.. the roof raise leaving the driver-house at the original height adds to the look of the bus in my opinion.
-Christopher
I agree, aarons build is by far one of the best builds on here in terms of execution and quality. Maybe he can branch out from UniMog refurb and offer bus conversions
Old 05-14-2016, 12:04 AM   #710
Bus Nut

Picked up some finish grade birch, some structural lower grade ply for storage shelves and carpet to line some things.

I also picked up a pane of polycarbonate greenhouse panel, I will use some as trim somewhere I think, for translucent panel location.

Also, dog.
Old 05-14-2016, 07:24 AM   #711
Bus Geek

Love the idea of that greenhouse panel.. can even use it for a splash guard at the edge of a countertop etc.. has a nice modern look to it.
-Christopher
Old 05-14-2016, 05:31 PM   #712
Skoolie

Coachwork: -
Chassis: -
Engine: -
Dig the MOG for grocery getter! 3

thjakits
thjakits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 02:44 AM   #713
Bus Nut

Getting that last bit of something done always seems to take the longest. I am pretty sure I just finished all the major structure for the interior - the steel tubing and such. To celebrate I re-hung the interior overhead panel in front too.

I am undecided on cutting a big hole in the middle of that front panel for storage, leaving it alone, or something else. Like everything else, it needs a trim panel because the ceiling is higher than before.

This bus is a series of tubes:

Nice to beige you again, beige:
Old 05-16-2016, 07:22 AM   #714
Bus Nut

Quote:
Getting that last bit of something done always seems to take the longest. I am pretty sure I just finished all the major structure for the interior - the steel tubing and such. To celebrate I re-hung the interior overhead panel in front too.

I am undecided on cutting a big hole in the middle of that front panel for storage, leaving it alone, or something else. Like everything else, it needs a trim panel because the ceiling is higher than before.

This bus is a series of tubes:

Nice to beige you again, beige:
Looking good aaron! Mount a monitor on the front panel for the passengers to watch while traveling, and make compartments on either side for storage, audio/visual components, games, etc.
Old 05-16-2016, 02:17 PM   #715
Skoolie

There is NEVER too much storage!!

thjakits
Old 05-16-2016, 03:59 PM   #716
Skoolie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thjakits View Post
There is NEVER too much storage!!

thjakits
Absolutely, especially when you have under 400 sqft for everything.....actually I have exactly 400 sqft.

This is why I decided to use 3/4 plywood for all my partitions....
Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2016, 05:13 PM   #717
Skoolie

...the way Aaron is doing it, he can get away with a 1/4 inch or less! 3

thjakits
Old 05-16-2016, 08:56 PM   #718
Bus Nut

That's actually what I ended up with - 1/4" birch for the walls, and 11/32" for the "floors" of all the storage holes.

Oh yeah, I'll be doing copper sheet countertops, so that's going to be an adventure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thjakits View Post
...the way Aaron is doing it, he can get away with a 1/4 inch or less! 3

thjakits
Old 05-16-2016, 09:25 PM   #719
Skoolie

Quote:
That's actually what I ended up with - 1/4" birch for the walls, and 11/32" for the "floors" of all the storage holes.

Oh yeah, I'll be doing copper sheet countertops, so that's going to be an adventure.
I had to find space for shower, washer/dryer and separate restroom all together along one wall. I ended up with 4 separating walls. I almost had to count paint thickness to make everything work. 3/4 plywood only eat 3" of the golden space. I glad I used 3/4 plywood, it is super strong, doesn't need any more covering. It was relatively easy to measure, cut and install.

I am also thinking about counter top material. I might use 3/4 bamboo plywood covered with epoxy. I noticed some local grossery stores use bamboo conters at checkout and they hold everyday abuse very vell.

Check this out:

Vlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2016, 05:42 PM   #720
Skoolie

Cool

Quote:
Sounds interesting!! HOW are you going to protect them from going all green?!

thjakits